Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its a new year, with a new money pit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Jon

Congrats on the sale! See you at the next cubby's meet...maybe we should schedule one in March before the Pocono DE.

best

Joe
Joe, it is the car i drove to cubbys last year.

the schweeeeet 951. that for a short time had "poorsh" for a license plate.

that plate is now on my S2 in my colorado garage.

gotta get a colorado meet set up.

Here are some more pictues of Jon's car.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...id=9DZNW7ZoyU4
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...id=9DZNW7ZoyU4

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OT but do you ever go to autox at the colloseum in Hempstead on Sundays?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cleverbastid
OT but do you ever go to autox at the colloseum in Hempstead on Sundays?
Yep, i try to make every Metro PCA event and have done a few of the SCCA and BMW CCA events also. That was all in my '87 n/a though. Still plan to auto-x in the 951, though it is far from a competitive car.

Over the next couple of days i need to sort out a few of the nagging little problems. The power windows are slow as heck, just cleaned all the switches and going to clean up all of the grounds tomorrow as its supposed to be a balmy 36 degrees out instead of 19. I also need to put in FlamingEye's cluster LED's cause i cant see any of the gauges at night. Im still trying to decide if i should bother attempting it without removing the airbag. The fan blower only worked on high, i cleaned out the resistor pack in vinegar and electrical cleaner and it works great now. Also need to find myself a stock shift **** and boot. I cant stand the vibration and noise from the aftermarket ****. Then its on to more pressing matters such as the broken exhaust stud. I also need to set aside some time to retension the timing belt and balance shaft belt.... and reinstall the slip in test pipe section .

Last edited by Techno Duck; 01-04-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

looking good jon, cant wait to see it at the autocrosses
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 AM
944CS
Drifting

does the car have an exhaust leak at the header?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to the addiction- once you start it only gets worse. yeah autox's pretty much suck but you'll have a whole new appreciation for track events.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

It was all over once you took a hit from the boost pipe. I guess you can thank Tom for the free sample, and debt induced addiction.

Have you tried an extractor before you drill it out? Those studs are usually pretty loose.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

John, havent had a chance to try anything to remove it yet. The flange is rotated slightly and covering whats left of the stud right now (broken flush with the head). I am going to actually take it to one of the local independents later today just to get an idea if they might be able to do it with the head still on the car. I would do it myself, but i dont have the time with school and the crappy weather really. If its going to cost an arm and a leg to have them do it, im just going to hold off a little longer and do it over one of my breaks next month.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd take the header off, then take a large nut, place it over the broken stud, and mig weld the steel stud onto the inside of the nut. The heat from welding will help free it from the Al head, and once the weld cools you'll be able to put a wrench on it and un screw it (get the stud moving, then give it a shot of penetraiting oil, then move it a little more and it'll come right out).
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to BOOOOOOOST Jon, soon you'll wonder why it took you so long.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Yep, i try to make every Metro PCA event and have done a few of the SCCA and BMW CCA events also. That was all in my '87 n/a though. Still plan to auto-x in the 951, though it is far from a competitive car.

Over the next couple of days i need to sort out a few of the nagging little problems. The power windows are slow as heck, just cleaned all the switches and going to clean up all of the grounds tomorrow as its supposed to be a balmy 36 degrees out instead of 19. I also need to put in FlamingEye's cluster LED's cause i cant see any of the gauges at night. Im still trying to decide if i should bother attempting it without removing the airbag. The fan blower only worked on high, i cleaned out the resistor pack in vinegar and electrical cleaner and it works great now. Also need to find myself a stock shift **** and boot. I cant stand the vibration and noise from the aftermarket ****. Then its on to more pressing matters such as the broken exhaust stud. I also need to set aside some time to retension the timing belt and balance shaft belt.... and reinstall the slip in test pipe section .
that is a brand new shift lever that i had the top inch or two cut off. i was going to epoxy the three pieces together to eliminate vibration. that and a short shift kit and the throws should be shorter than a s2000.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

rear porsche tail light panel is the uglyest thing ever. get rid of it'll look a lot better without it.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Trust me, once it gets warm enough it will be removed! Its just way to cold outside to do any kind of work on the car, let alone painting.

I put the test pipe back in last night . Im also pretty sure the bypass valve is shot. I could suck freely but not blow into the top vacuum port. It was my first time looking at the under side of a 951 up on a lift. I laughed a little when i was looking at the exhaust plumbing. I cant imagine i will be doing any work that requires me to drop the exhaust at home in the driveway anymore..looks like i will make the 25 mile trip down to my fathers shop for now on. Its also nice to have a car that is not so low which is difficult to get it on a lift..the 951 is still at the original ride height, so was nice and easy with no fussing around other than driving up on 2x4's. I was also quiet impressed at the aero panels underneath the car. Pretty cool. I was aware the car was leaking something prior to buying it and its powersteering..and its leaking in a big way! Need to replace the two lines that come off the tank..another $200 down the drain!

Also put on 968 caster blocks...the squirmy feeling is now gone. It originally had the original caster blocks with 100k miles, plus heavy 17'' replica C2's. Also was pleased to see the car has brand new 968 control arms. So i can ditch the 968 cooling scoop brackets and mount directly to the arm.

Another interesting thing is this car has a factory transmission cooler loop, but as far as i know its a non LSD transmission. I need to find my inspection mirror to verify the transmission code. It is a rebuilt transmission to..only about 6k miles on it.

I also took the car to a indy Porsche place by me to get a second opinion on the broken stud. He said he has done a few before and usually an extractor is not successful. Told me i was looking at about 4-5 hours labor to have it done and said if i was thinking of doing the headgasket, its probably more prudent (and safe) to just take the head off the car and have a machine shop extract it. I sort of agree, was just hoping to hold off on the $$$$ headgasket job. Not a big deal though. Probably going to tackle this around February when it starts to warm up hopefully.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Also put on 968 caster blocks...the squirmy feeling is now gone. It originally had the original caster blocks with 100k miles, plus heavy 17'' replica C2's. Also was pleased to see the car has brand new 968 control arms. So i can ditch the 968 cooling scoop brackets and mount directly to the arm.
If I knew that was all it needed I probably wouldnt have sold it!

What you describe as the squirmy feeling is what got me a little squirmy on the track compared to the S2. I may have to get a set for the S2 before i put the weltmeister sways in the S2 (when it gets warmer).
Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Definetley get them Tom. They make a great difference, especially on this car which has the heavy 17-inch replica's. The 968 ones i would venture to guess have probably 70% less rubber and do not adversely effect the ride of the car either. I gotta say, this car the way it is now is comparable to my 944 which had a little more done to it. The only thing i would like to do on this car is tighten up the steering a little. Camber plates will come eventually..

I dont plan to drop this one excessively like i did the 944, i like being able to go to places without fear of tearing off the front end and not having to spend 10 minutes getting the car on a lift.

Quick Reply: Its a new year, with a new money pit!