Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tribute to the 83' n/a.. Thinking about this while hydroplaning through the rain..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tribute to the 83' n/a.. Thinking about this while hydroplaning through the rain..

Awhile ago someone said that an 944 n/a wasn't really a man's car. That got me thinking and I have come to a conclusion.

I highly beg to differ.

Driving an 83' n/a..

There's something about driving a car that is so loud you can barely hear yourself think, vibrates like there's no tomorrow, and has no air conditioning.

Something I thought about during the drive home today, with the front windows so fogged up I could barely see out of them and no working defroster. Driving with no heater and the windows all the way down in the pouring rain just to keep the windows from getting any worse. Gripping the manual steering with the hands of death just to keep the car on the road every time it hits a puddle.

Putting up with various leaks in and around the passenger area, and mysterious rattling noises all around the car. Breathing in the fresh exhaust laden air.

There's something about this car that just makes it special, and I love it.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of my old 83, I loved the manual steering and all the leaks
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

badly fogged up windows? sounds like you got water leaks.

I fixed all that last summer. last winter my car had like 2 inches of water in the interior with mold growing all over it. cleaned it all up, replaced the leaky quarter windows, sunroof seals, sealed off the fan heater fan, battery tray, and now finally I have a 944 with no water leaks.

no more foggy interior now, and I'm lucky I got the 85.5 with a much better heating system.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oh and get better tires if you're hydroplaning through the rain........

or slow down, I noticed I was hydroplaning on the freeway a few weeks ago while going 100km/h in heavy rain, I have still brand new toyo proxes tpts on my car which are suppose to be really good in the rain and they are but I was still hyroplaning. guess got to slow down.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nh7cy
Awhile ago someone said that an 944 n/a wasn't really a man's car. That got me thinking and I have come to a conclusion.

I highly beg to differ.

Driving an 83' n/a..

There's something about driving a car that is so loud you can barely hear yourself think, vibrates like there's no tomorrow, and has no air conditioning.

Something I thought about during the drive home today, with the front windows so fogged up I could barely see out of them and no working defroster. Driving with no heater and the windows all the way down in the pouring rain just to keep the windows from getting any worse. Gripping the manual steering with the hands of death just to keep the car on the road every time it hits a puddle.

Putting up with various leaks in and around the passenger area, and mysterious rattling noises all around the car. Breathing in the fresh exhaust laden air.

+1. Also, if you ever try to skimp on tires and then try to brake in a hurry, it will slide like there's no tomorrow. It's a Porsche and it knows it.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:08 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You just lost any hope of selling the car on rennlist, now that you've described in detail all the problems

But seriously - I'd love to help you get the defroster working and some of those seals fixed. I've btdt with a lot of the 944's winter shenanigans...

And yes, the early 944 is a man's car! +1! Especially manual steering - women hate it.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Wow, here we are talking about a 944 being a man's car and I am trying to get mine as refined as possible, as quiet, streetable and comfortable as possible...
What does that make me?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

definitely a mans car. Drove my car today since the snow mostly melted and it supposed to be a balmy 40 degrees out today (warm!). I had to turn the boost down to 13psi to keep from putting it sideways every time i stepped on the pedal and even that was questionable. Nothing like water/cold/large tires and boost to put some hair on your chest.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

hahah, I love driving mine, rain, snow, you name it
actually it's been pretty good in snow as well, just have to watch the shifts and not shift too hard, or it does tend to fishtail a little and if not careful the car will spin out

I might pick up a set of winter tires for the rear because frots are brand new
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 I drive mine all the time, regardless of weather.

As to Jason's post it all really adds to the pucker factor. No sissies allowed.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Tires are fairly new BF Goodrich KDW II's, I've beaten them a bit but they still have around 85% or more tread left and have gotten fairly high marks for hydroplaning resistance. I think I'll have to redo my alignment though, it's not so much the hydroplaning, its the car suddenly veering to the left every time it hits a puddle that scares me. EDIT: or it could just be the fact that the puddles were only on the left side of the car that is causing this.

Storm yesterday so there were 4-6" deep puddles in the fast lane, definitely time to drive a little slower.

Thanks for the suggestions on resealing the interior, I think I have to adjust my hatch pins as it's not sealing evenly all the way across when I close it, hopefully that should do it. Everything else I can live with, but not being able to see out the windows just seems a little reckless.

Last edited by nh7cy; 12-20-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nh7cy

I highly beg to differ.

Driving an 83' n/a..

It is a man's car.

However I don't think that all of the problems that have developed since it was new have made it that way.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Put a shop vac to your carpet. Do that long enough and it should help fix the fogging issue.

If you're having 4-6" of standing water on roads, you're tracking water into it every time you get in. And these cars don't like it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

...or fix your AC and run it, works great at defogging (keep your heat on warm, of course)
Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Rain X anti fog helps. All 944's are manly cars, unless there is a ***** behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: Tribute to the 83' n/a.. Thinking about this while hydroplaning through the rain..