Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gated Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gated Shifter?

So I was fotunate enough to have the opportunity to drive a '92 Ferrari 348 a few weeks back before a friend of a friend put it away in storage for the winter. Needless to say, it was a blast, but it got me thinking...

Anyone know of a way to convert a 944 shifter to the gated style popularly known in Ferrari's? Might be a noob question, but I can't imagine that it's too hard ? Anyone seen this done on any Porsche?

Sure would make a great Christmas present! Thanks in advance for any insight...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHY?!?

Gated shifters came into play primarily due to a poor transaxle design. There is absolutely no need for one in a 944 and they only make it more difficult to shift and look like crap in anything non Lambo/Ferrari (where they are only kept due to historical sake these days).
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 AM
gstein
Instructor

That is an interesting point, relating the the start of the gated shifter with the arrival of the V8's and boxers. However, I disagree with your comment that they are poorly designed. I admire the fact that I can hook my Ferraris into a computer which in turn sends me data on the transmission from sensors (end-play and such), which I could only measure after disassembling my Porsche transmissions. You may be referring to the need to warm a Ferrari gearbox before you flog it, but that does not equate to a poor design.

Back to the issue at hand, it would be very simple to mill out a gate for your shifter, you'd simply have to measure precisely and make a plastic template. Go for it, because if you don't, maybe I will.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein
Old 12-14-2007, 02:13 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I was referring to classic cars that NEEDED gated shifters, not the modern ones.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 AM
flosho
Pro

You would also have to machine a custom shift lever, since a gated shifter is generally a bare metal rod and not designed like the 944s shifter.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 AM
gstein
Instructor

Very good point Jason, not sure how I missed that one. Well, none the less, it remains a relatively simple task. You just have to make the pieces you want and cut down the existing lever. This post just brought up an idea I had many years ago, but didn't have enough time or tooling to complete. If you go through with your plans Jaay, you should post some pictures and I'll do the same.

Mike, I raceprep vintage Ferraris for a living, mainly 250's (TDF's SWB's). I consider all of them classic, but the only one I've been in with an exposed gaited shifter is the GTO. The GTO is a thoroughbred racing Ferrari that simply left off the leather boot in exchange for a more durable aluminum gait. Furthermore, you can shift the GTO properly without the gait, it's sole purpose is to stop sizable debris from falling into the linkage box and inhibiting a shift. Oh yeah, and the classic Ferraris had transmissions, not transaxles. Just a little info to mull over.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldsetein
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ben, out of curiousity, is the car in your avatar yours?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gstein
The GTO is a thoroughbred racing Ferrari that simply left off the leather boot in exchange for a more durable aluminum gait.
Are you referring to the '64 250 or the '84 288?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I also thought older cars used gated shift panels because without it, the shift pattern was very undefined and hard to find the gears. On the 944, especially with the ubiquitous sloppy shifter syndrome which can develop, a gate panel would make it very difficult to find the gears.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Good idea but seemingly unnecessary, and unless you painted it the same color as your trim (black, brown, etc) so it didn't stand out as much, I have the feeling it would clash with the entire interior.

Btw, Mike I was looking at the fog lights on your black car. What fogs did you use and are they bright enough to drive with?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike had a custom setup of hid lights that are his headlights, and then he has a headlight delete panel.
Hella 90mm HID (5200k) Low Beam Projectors
Hella 90mm HID (5200k) Free Form D2S High Beam (zero cutoff)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

mainly 250's (TDF's SWB's). I consider all of them classic, but the only one I've been in with an exposed gaited shifter is the GTO.
I admire the fact that I can hook my Ferraris into a computer which in turn sends me data on the transmission from sensors (end-play and such),
Wow, Ferrari sure had sophisticated electronics back in the 60's!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Wow, Ferrari sure had sophisticated electronics back in the 60's!
My Ferrari has the same set-up. The other cool thing is I can crash it over and over and my repair bill is a simple as selecting the start-a-new-game option.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Hey Ben, out of curiousity, is the car in your avatar yours?
*cough* Photoshop *cough*
Old 12-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

I had not really thought about the clash it may cause in the interior, but I definitely see your point. Maybe a matte black gate with a short black shifter...possibly even a slightly cone shaped shifter rod, thin at the bottom and a bit wider on the top, leading to a more traditional Porsche shift ****...? Definitely might look strange. Another idea is to have more of a plain rod shaped shifter, without a **** on the end. It definitely could be considered 'ricey,' but if done correctly in black, I bet that it wouldn't look half bad. I've got nothing on Photoshop, but both would be interesting concepts.

As far as actually doing it goes, unfortunately you won't see me machining anything anytime soon. I'm a student and don't really know of anywhere or anyone that could help me machine the proper parts...my experience is in wood working, I have never really worked with metal. However, if anyone local wanted to take a day and give it a try, I would be willing to give company at the least!

Quick Reply: Gated Shifter?