Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a 83 2.5 lux supercharger project!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another one for you.

I will be using either a megasquirt or emerald ecu but to run these I need to setup some sort of crank trigger. Neither will support the 2.5's twin sensor setup so I'd need an easier 36-1 or similar setup.

I understand the 16v motors use a 60-2 setup so my question is will the s2 bellhousing, clutch and flywheel etc fit between my motor and tt?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM
sillbeer
Pro

I didnt think there would be that much of a difference with the RHD vs LHD...The engine is the same on both sides, so I should thin it will work? By the time you get a new ECU, tune it, new crank triggers, 968 or S2 bellhousings, clutches, intercooler, etc etc you are already looking at a good chunk of change...
Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Btw, header panel removal isn't so bad. You'll end up destroying your current one though so make sure you have one that matches your car's color extremely well.

Just sand down the bottom and the top lip of the header panel until the welds start to show, take a drill with a bit slightly larger than the welds and slowly drill them out. Make sure you shove a flat head screwdriver or something under the panel so you can crack the welds once you're through them. The sooner you can crack them the sooner you can stop drilling and it'll save you from drilling a hole all the way through the frame.

Btw, for the money It'll cost you to make 500hp on a turbo motor, you could probably buy yourself a few 968 motors.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Originally Posted by nh7cy
Btw, for the money It'll cost you to make 500hp on a turbo motor, you could probably buy yourself a few 968 motors.
or an ls1
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by sillbeer
I didnt think there would be that much of a difference with the RHD vs LHD...The engine is the same on both sides, so I should thin it will work? By the time you get a new ECU, tune it, new crank triggers, 968 or S2 bellhousings, clutches, intercooler, etc etc you are already looking at a good chunk of change...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the brake booster, m/cyl and steering shaft on the opposite side. Wouldn't these cause problems with any v8 kit designed for LHD cars? Also would affect ac and power steering line routing. I would do a bit more research before trying to convert a LHD V8 kit to work with RHD cars.

As for the supercharging, wouldn't you need to lower the compression a lot in UK 944's, I understand that they are higher than US models? Also what higher octane fuel do you have in the UK?

BTW: Very nice 944 and it's always good to find someone who wants to try this stuff out, good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

The s bellhousing is just an idea. I may see if the 2.5 flywheel can be altered, does anyone know what teeth arrangement it has? if it has a workable amount on it maybe I can just machine one off if it were to say have 36?

It wouldn't take much to put a trigger wheel on the crank pulley anyways and make a bracket up for a few £, thats what I had to do with the v8 in my old car which ran a megasquirt.

With the ls1 kit I could use the bellhousing and associated bits, and thats it! None of the other stuff rh made would fit mine, I checked with them plus the cost, £7-8000 even with todays exchange rates would be more than I would want then theres the insurance hike when I tell them it has a 400hp v8!!! I at least stand a chance with a modded porsche engine.

I really have thoroughly researched every route and short of buying a 951 or 968 this is the most cost effective.

I already have the engine, the charger was £400, the ecu is a few hundred, I have a wb lambda sensor already as well as bigger injectors plus it gives me a chance to use the new mill and lathe I have.

Ref c/r yes it is high, 10.6:1 iirc so i'll keep the boost low to start with but a change to some forged pistons and about 9:1 will allow some proper sc boost. I had my eye on some at lindsey's for about £400 which is jolly cheap!

So, I'll end up with a 2.5 motor, 9:1 c/r, SN93, Megasquirt ecu (its looking like I'll go this route) and. . . . . . . .

Near 300hp I hope.

Quite cheaply too as I'll be doing it myself plus with a motor which (if tuned properly) should be reliable and low cost maintenance wise in the long run. Thats the dream anyways, the reality may not live upto that but its a good project and learning experiance done cheaply utilising my own tools and skills.

After this I may aim higher.

Before I can start any of that though I need to fix the bloody overheating problem I now have!!!!!! Old cars
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Oh, if I make my own trigger wheel I won't even have to remove the engine for the first s/c build!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Well it looks like you have the means to do so then, just make sure to document your build and take pictures because we'll all want to see it in the end!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ihatesissycars
Hi all!!

I did get a 968 motor for it but after hearing loaaaaaaaaaaaads of horror stories about massive repair bills for that motor I decided to take a different route.

Most at this point will say buy a 951 or similar but I'm so far gone and attached to this one that I can't!

I've now acquired an SN93 Paxton blower and that combined with the spare engine I have (acting as a template) my mill and my lathe will hopefully give me the poke I want.

I want to build a low blow setup with intercooler and megasquirt or emeral ecu controlling it all.

Ref this I have a question!

The 951 intercooler, can I fit it to my early car? If so how do you remove the badge panel? I heard it was screwed on but mine appears to be spot welded on so I'm a bit stuck unless 'm missing something!!!

Also, does anyone know of a front splitter for an early bumpered car?
Early cars nose panels were welded. You will have to drill, and then re-screw.

By the way.... WELCOME to Rennlist.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

I've had to deviate from the plan as the present engine started overheating which resulted in a stat change, pump change, rad change, headgasket change only to find it as a hole corroded through the block!!!

I'm halfway thru changing the engine for another now so once thats in I'll start with the mounting brackets for the blower, watch this space!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see another fellow supercharged 944 guy. While I have been playing with my 951 as of late teh 944 s/c car is still my baby.

The factory 951 intercooler is the perfect choice. You will need to remove some of the reinforcment behind the bumper but you can easily use a piece of square tubing in its place.

While you are down I may recommend you get ahold of special tool on here as he has plenty of turbo pistons for when you really want to turn up the boost. I have ran up to 19 psi on my stock 83 short block but I am also using an alcohol based fuel which makes a pretty big difference.

BTW to achieve teh hp figure you are looking for "300" you will need about 15psi and a good afr.

The stock trans has held up pretty good for me so far but I don't doubt that it will go, however I have blown a turbo trans already in my 951 so just because you get a turbo trans don't expect it to hold up forever
Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 AM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Hello there,

Yes 300 is the goal for no particular reason other than its a nice round number!

When you say you ran 19psi on the stock bottom end is that with the stock pistons or turbo items?

I wanted to run a lower psi but higher c/r mayb 9.5:1. My euro bottom end has a 10.6:1 c/r which is rather high but low boost should give some good results, I think. . . .

I was thinking a change to some U.S n/a pistons might be a good change too as you guys have something like 9.5:1 don't you?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatesissycars
Hello there,

Yes 300 is the goal for no particular reason other than its a nice round number!

When you say you ran 19psi on the stock bottom end is that with the stock pistons or turbo items?

I wanted to run a lower psi but higher c/r mayb 9.5:1. My euro bottom end has a 10.6:1 c/r which is rather high but low boost should give some good results, I think. . . .

I was thinking a change to some U.S n/a pistons might be a good change too as you guys have something like 9.5:1 don't you?
Yes, US-spec 2.5 motors (until what, 1987?) had the 9.5:1 pistons.

This is a different application, but there was a user here named bleucamaro who had a roots-type supercharger on his 944S2 and got about 215 at the wheels running only 4psi. That's about a 40HP gain at the crank over stock. Good management and acceptance of blowing your engine with too much boost and you can make good power.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Ref the badge panel if I chop mine off is it possible to mke a later 951 panel fit for a enater finish?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the 951 nose panel has a different shape than the 944 panel, the 951 panel would'nt match the fenders.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a 83 2.5 lux supercharger project!