Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Banned.. Need Some Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Keith951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Banned.. Need Some Support

This is Mike951

Yesterday I was banned for "selling commercial parts without a sponsorship" and "Repeated Cross Posting"

First off.. I would like to give you guys my background and explain myself so hopefully I can get some support and have my ban lifted. In my opinion.. this is ridiculous and completely wrong.

First of..3 members of my family use this account. My Father Jon, My Brother Mike, and me..Keith. Most of you have probably delt with me since I have had 2 parts cars over the past year and a half and have sold most of the parts. I am an 18 year old college student who is currently typing this message from a dorm at West Virginia Univerisity. I do not run a shop, store, or any other type of business.. I am a student. I got involved in this hobby after my old brother bought a 944 years and years ago. Since then, our family has upped our collection to an 86 944 turbo, Two 88 Turbo S models, a 914, and a 924s. Between these 5 cars, and the two parts cars I have had (Which were bought so I could use parts for my cars, not only to make money off.) you can understand why I have a huge stash of stuff.

Many of you have come to my house in person to pick up items, or check out the cars. Any one that has done so can explain how I am not running a business, just trying to spring a profit. I am an ethusiest just like every one else, who uses his hobby to make some extra money rather then working at the mall down the street for $6.50 an hour.

I am asking everyone that has delt with me that may have something positive to say to post it in this thread. There is no reason I should be banned. I have done nothing to hurt this community.. The only thing I have done is helped people with their cars by providing parts, technical information, and other support.

This most recent "problem" that caused me to be banned occured because I bought a lot of OEM parts of my friends father who is a retired Porsche mechanic of 30 years. I made a large list of items for sale, since I had brand new in the box items for 911/944/951/986/993/996/928. I made one large thread with all the items arranged with part numbers, prices, descriptions, ect. Then made a crost posting in each main forum of each model to that main thread. I figured this would be the best way for everyone to be able to find it. This made some moderators here unhappy, an today I go to log in and my account is banned

So I am asking for some support here..I pay my $18 membership and should be entitled to sell the parts I have at my house. I do not make my own product and are trying to sell it.. I do not run a businesss. I am just a young adult with a hobby.

Hopefully this thread does not get deleted because I feel I should be able to voice my opinion and people should be able to voice theirs.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by Randy V; 11-28-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: deleted contact info
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope this works out for you.
I too, have collected lots of parts during my P-Car ownership. I frequently buy and sell parts to offset my ownership costs.
Sometimes I buy stuff I dont need because I know I will find someone else who is in need.

It is because of people like yourself that help me find parts I need.
I feel people like yourself (and there is alot of them here) are a great resource for a small community such as this.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
It is because of people like yourself that help me find parts I need. I feel people like yourself (and there is alot of them here) are a great resource for a small community such as this.
I agree completely.

I say lift the ban. It's not like you're a used car dealer or business hawking your products. I really hope Rennlist doesn't turn into a site that persecutes 18 year olds selling used or new parts they don't need out of their garage.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith951
I am not running a business, just trying to spring a profit.
That is one heck of a fine line there...

This most recent "problem" that caused me to be banned occured because I bought a lot of OEM parts <snip> Then made a crost posting in each main forum of each model to that main thread. I figured this would be the best way for everyone to be able to find it.
Probably the x-post that did it... you might have been better off splitting the parts specific to each model and post that stuff in the model-specific forums. Also, when in doubt about whether something is OK or not, best to check with the mods first.

Your best bet is to contact the mods and find out which part was over the line, apologize, ask if there is a right way to do something like that (one time deal where you can ge some cheap OEM parts and pass them on).

Good luck
Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Half the reason I'm on here is to find some good deals on parts... the other half being the wealth of knowledge the listers possess- if I were a Mod, this wouldn't have happened in the first place.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by empiredsn
Half the reason I'm on here is to find some good deals on parts... the other half being the wealth of knowledge the listers possess- if I were a Mod, this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Well said.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Et al:

I have been a paying member on Rennlist for numerous years and have made great relationships because this forum. I have met people who just love Porsches, be it water cooled or air cooled. A Porsche person is a Porsche person. These individuals take on huge tasks in parting out vehicles for others to enjoy.

Rennlist is one of those channels which I first review when looking for used parts. The reason being is that I know the guidelines on Rennlist are strict. Sellers must be a member along with other guidelines.

One of my recent experiences is purchasing a part off Keith. The transaction was smooth and the part was exactly as posted. I met his father, brother and mother (who wants these parts GONE ASAP!!) Keith and his family are Porsche people as I stated and you can rest assure that he is not running a business. He is one of those people who are an asset to Rennlist by taking on such a huge task which will benefit many of us.

So in closing I would like to reiterate and echo what some of us have stated. Please lift the ban.

Regards
Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I just don't see the crime here? Was Mike951 a member? I know and understand that on the Pelican boards they are adamant about selling NEW parts that might compete with retail sales for Pelican...that's fine. What I don't understand, was Mike banned without a warning or was he given a chance to explain his case. If this is the 'new' Rennlist policy then I wasted my money on a 2-year renewal. I'm not advocating for anyone but some important facts are missing in this story.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is lift the ban. No foul here.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Let the banned be unbanned..... lift it!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
jackpine
Intermediate

I have not done business with you but would like to add my .02 cents anyway.

I am seeing that you violated one of the policy terms, which you agreed to follow when joining. In violating the policy the account was opened for a dismissal.

Personal circumstances such as where you work, how much you make, or where you go to school have nothing to do with that policy violation. Moderators have tough "jobs" in the ether land, and do those jobs in the interest of the rest of us paying members. Follow the directions and you'll have great successes here and at school.

There are a lot of different ways I could better my family's monetary situation, but they are against the policies, or the laws of where I am, so I refrain. I'd say something like..."What's with these kids today!?", but that'd make me sound like an old geezer, at the ripe young age of 37.

Do you know what I mean? Nothing personal. You might be the greatest young guy/P-car advocate I don't know yet, but...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This raises an interesting point... at what point does an 'average joe' become a 'business'? I'm pretty sure in NYS it's based off dollars made, and that some eBay people are getting in trouble for exceeding this amount without a license.

How should we handle this @ rennlist? Do we follow suit and say you can sell "$xxx" of merchandise per year, or "x" # of items per year without a sponsor membership? I'd assume that a full chassis would be exempt as we don't want people to have to pay for a sponsor membership to sell a complete car.

I'm pretty sure "IceShark" had to get a sponsor membership, even though he was more an 'average joe' than a 'business'.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I'm pretty sure "IceShark" had to get a sponsor membership, even though he was more an 'average joe' than a 'business'.
He was a manufacturer who wasn't selling used parts.

The only real problem I have is with the cross-posts. The tech board isn't the classifieds, and vice versa. Posting ads here defeats the purpose of member-to-member classifieds. I think I did it once, but now I keep all my FS stuff in the section it belongs.

I think you made a huge mistake by getting another name, though...isn't there a $5000 reinstatement fee?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Join date of May '05, just a different name he already had in his family.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Keith951
Banned

First off.. Thanks to everyone for the positive responses.

My mike951 is a paid member account.. so I should be intitled to sell and buy.

The main reason I got banned is because they felt I was running a business usuing rennlist as my chief advertising agent. Even though the threads I have made seem like big lists, and so on.. In reality, it is just a handful of parts but I have went into detail listing every small item. In the case with the stash of parts I just purchased.. Thats a once in a lifetime deal.. not something consistant.

To me, A business is when you make a product and sell it. In Ice Sharks Case, he made a "kit" i believe correct? He was not just selling OEM parts that he aquired.. which in my case.. has always been used stuff until this rare opertunity came up. Someone please correct me If I am wrong because I am not 100% sure what Ice Shark was selling.. But I think i remember browsing ver some stuff and seeing it was a headlight kit or something?

I am not comparing myself to Iceshark.. Just using that as a reference or example.

In conclusion.. What I am trying to say is I feel that I should not have to pay a sponsorship to sell the parts I have. A sponsorship costs $125 a month I believe. There have been times I dont sell Items for a few months straight.. If you check my old threads.. most of them are just advertising the same stuff I have had for months.. I just keep trying to get rid of it. If I was creating my own product, or had a large stream of products I was taking in and reselling.. I would have no problem supporting the site with a sponsorship. What it comes down to is I just continously try to get rid of the same stuff..and do not make that much of an income from this stuff to support a $125 a month bill a month. And I do not want to sound like im milking me being a college student.. But unlike many of the other members I do not have an income from a job, I am going to have to pay off student loans, ect. ect. Same with my older brother.. and same with my Father/Mother who are trying to help pay for their 3 kids educations.. especially having 2 in college at the same time.

Thanks,
Keith

Quick Reply: Got Banned.. Need Some Support