Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so im driving home and *SLIP* *SMASH* "Whats up Mr. Guardrail"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so im driving home and *SLIP* *SMASH* "Whats up Mr. Guardrail"

So I'm driving home from Pacifica tonight and taking the offramp from Highway One to Sharp Park Road (for those of you who don't know this offramp, its arrow straight for 1/4 mile then suddenly turns at almost an 80 degree angle stopping at a stop sign). Anyway, it was the end to a very exciting day in which everybody got trapped in the dark at work due to a trailer park fire down the road blocking the southbound exits and a downed powerline blocking the northbound exits, and I was on my way home from a rathe relaxing game of pool with a bunch of good friends. Yep, a good end to a good day.

Back to the story. Tonight was a rather foggy night, visibility was probably down to about 40 feet, its about 45 degrees out and the roads were drenched. I'm on the offramp and notice light from the streetlamps glinting off of a shiny black splotch on the road, I let off the gas just as I'm coming to the extremely sharp turn at the end of the offramp I put the car into neutral, slow down a bit, and begin to steer the wheel to the right, only thing is, the car isn't turning to the right, its still moving ahead straight as an arrow. It was at this moment I notice the guard rail glinting in the light of the high beams but by now its too late. Still holding the steering wheel at a right angle I hit the guard rail watching the front left side of the car crumple under it, and sooner than it started I'm back in the middle of the road again. Its funny how that slow-mo stuff works. It was all over in about a second but it felt a lot longer, I'm just glad it wasn't bad.

So thats the story of my very first accident. Funny thing too, driving home I couldn't help but notice these things..

The car now shifts smoother than EVER before, I can't emphasize how much the shifting has improved since hitting that guard rail.
The car runs quieter
The car runs cooler (probably because there's now a large hole in the fender)
I now have an accident under my belt to learn from
I'm very lucky it wasn't at all that bad
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 AM
saxman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive through there every day(come down sharp park road from work).

You weren't the only accident over there tonight. The on-ramp to 1 south was blocked off as someone got in an accident on the on ramp with what looked like a chevy tahoe sitting perpendicular to the road. Didn't get that good of a look.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad you're alright!

I know that exit. My best friend from high school lives 1 block away from that exit and I used to go there all the time. I bought my mercedes from him actually... When it was still his car I think he said he crashed it there once, just like you.

Man, that's a real shame, especially 'cause you had that turbo bumper. Am I wrong in saying it looks salvageable? Anyway I hope the new body panels go on without a hitch. Oh, and since that car was painted red, factory Guards Red panels may not match colorwise, just fyi. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now you can put REAL turbo fenders on it! But realy, glad it's all ok.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thatll buff right out!

had to be said
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

40 ft visibility.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one..

Haha thats what I thought, "Hey, now I really have an excuse to replace the rest of the fenders, etc" so its not all that bad.

One other observation was, this will have been the closest I've been to driving a 911..

Anyway, the bumper is still fine, the car was lower than the guard rail so the left fender, headlight, and headerpanel took most of the hit.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

sorry to hear about that Jason. Why not just buy a turbo now? So was the black splotch on the street oil?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the black splotch was indeed oil. A car came up about a minute later going about 20mph and almost did the same thing.

I'm planning on buying a Turbo, just don't have the extra money for it right now, oh well.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, sorry to hear but glad your ok. The damage doesn't look bad at all but it is a shame since you put all that work into the turbo bumper. I thought you were going to say the black spot was going to be ice. I was out at midnight last night and can vouch for the fog, it was pretty bad.

Quick Reply: so im driving home and *SLIP* *SMASH* "Whats up Mr. Guardrail"