Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Travel questions with Paragon coilovers and Rennbay geometry kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Travel questions with Paragon coilovers and Rennbay geometry kit

My first post!!

Well I’ve been lurking on this board for quite some time and using all the info I could find to help me convert my 1987 N/A 944 to a street/de car. I’ve done pretty well so far and I am finishing up my front suspension with the following key components:

Racers edge camber plates
Paragon Koni coilover conversion kit 400# springs
Rennbay geometry correction kit

With the spring perch loose, I used a small jack to compress the suspension approximately where it would be with the car sitting on the ground (A-arms parallel to the ground).

Look at where the shock sits, you can see that my suspension travel is limited to about 1.5” before I start hitting the bumstops. This worries me a bit. I know people run their cars extremely low without problems but with the geometry correction kit my strut is effectively moved up 1-1.5” which seems to cut my suspension travel in half.

Is anyone else running a rennbay geometry correction kit and a paragon conversion kit together? Any advice is appreciated.

BTW I have to give huge props to Paragon and Rennbay for putting together great products.

Thanks,

D
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nearly the exact same setup (same parts, but 350# springs), and have had no problems with suspension travel.... with regards to the struts. My biggest problem is I keep hitting my front sway bar brackets on the ground.

That said... I love the setup... I can easily keep pace with stock turbo's at DE's, and am at least 5 seconds quicker on a 60 second autocross course. 400# springs may be a bit harsh on the street (IMHO), but that's all personal preference.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something is wrong with the picture

Originally Posted by smz2ride
My first post!!

Well I’ve been lurking on this board for quite some time and using all the info I could find to help me convert my 1987 N/A 944 to a street/de car. I’ve done pretty well so far and I am finishing up my front suspension with the following key components:

Racers edge camber plates
Paragon Koni coilover conversion kit 400# springs
Rennbay geometry correction kit

With the spring perch loose, I used a small jack to compress the suspension approximately where it would be with the car sitting on the ground (A-arms parallel to the ground).

Look at where the shock sits, you can see that my suspension travel is limited to about 1.5” before I start hitting the bumstops. This worries me a bit. I know people run their cars extremely low without problems but with the geometry correction kit my strut is effectively moved up 1-1.5” which seems to cut my suspension travel in half.

Is anyone else running a rennbay geometry correction kit and a paragon conversion kit together? Any advice is appreciated.

BTW I have to give huge props to Paragon and Rennbay for putting together great products.

Thanks,

D

Can you post some more pictures...first picture.. from what I see you your setup is not right..

-BB

Last edited by Buckaroo Banzi; 10-17-2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
Can you post some more pictures...first picture.. from what I see you your setup is not right..

-BB
Sure I can post some more pictures later tonight when I get back from work. Anything in particular that looks out of place so I know what to take pictures of?

Keep in mind that not all the stuff is installed in those pictures - no brakes, no rollbar, and the spring perch is not set.

thanks for all the replies

D
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

hopefully, when your car is at rest the A-arm is slanted down slightly (lower on outside end)
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 944 spec car does not have much front travel either, but it does not appear to an issue.

The ball joints are not costing you and travel, but flat camber plates can take away 1 inch of travel.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The control arms are correct being flat. That is the neutral position that will give you the optimum camber curve during cornering. Like Joe said the camber plates could be causing some loss in travel but with your spring rate it should not be an issue.
BTW, the extended pins do not change strut height. They only change the level of the control arm in relation to the spindle. With standard pins your strut would still sit at the same position but the control arm would be angled up to meet it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
The control arms are correct being flat. That is the neutral position that will give you the optimum camber curve during cornering. Like Joe said the camber plates could be causing some loss in travel but with your spring rate it should not be an issue.
BTW, the extended pins do not change strut height. They only change the level of the control arm in relation to the spindle. With standard pins your strut would still sit at the same position but the control arm would be angled up to meet it.
Travis,

Thanks for the post and a great product. Everything went together easily and I couldn't be happier with results

I did not think about it this way - but you are 100% correct: the extended pins do not change strut height... I would have had to move everything up anyway to lower the car without the extended pins so disregard my comment in the previous post.

My goal is to set the arms up to be parallel to the ground as you suggested.

Thanks,

D
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M758
My 944 spec car does not have much front travel either, but it does not appear to an issue.

The ball joints are not costing you and travel, but flat camber plates can take away 1 inch of travel.
I went with racers edge camber plates which have a hat as opposed to flat plates but I probably lost some travel even with those as I do not think the shocks wind up in stock location.

I guess I am not really concerned with the small suspension travel as far as driving on flat sufraces goes street or track. It's those potholes and offroad excursions on the track that worry me.

I'll try to post more pictures tonight to see if I can get anymore feedback

Thanks,

D

Quick Reply: Suspension Travel questions with Paragon coilovers and Rennbay geometry kit