Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think it will ever happen? Would Porsche ever build a 944 follow-on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Looking into my crystal ball, I see a historical repetition.

The 928 was produced, gas prices went up, sales of the 928 plummeted. The 944 was produced taking half the 928 motor and putting it in a smaller car. Then the 951, due to demand for the smaller car with more zoom.

The Panamera is due to be released next year. Gas prices will continue to rise and there will be a demand for a smaller, more fuel efficient, version. If it happens, it will be at least 10 years before we see one on the road. In addition, it's likely to be an alternatively fueled vehicle.

The hybrid version of the Panamera is rumored to hit 110 mph with the new electric Audi/VW/Porsche drivetrain before the gas engine cuts in.

Could you envision a 150 mph 944 all on an electric motor?

Let's archive this post and if it happens in 2017, I'll resurrect it and post a picture of my electric 944 being unloaded off the boat.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, they unveiled a 2-door concept of the Panamera (Porsche GT IIRC) that they could probably get away with calling the 928. So if they made it a bit smaller, and dropped maybe the Cayenne V-6 in there we could finally get the 944S3..lol
Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Well, they unveiled a 2-door concept of the Panamera (Porsche GT IIRC) that they could probably get away with calling the 928. So if they made it a bit smaller, and dropped maybe the Cayenne V-6 in there we could finally get the 944S3..lol
They should know there's one among us who already HAS a 944 S3
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Satriinus
Track Day

I thought about this years ago, though my idea was closer to taking a 951 and custom mod the hell out of it until I had what I thought porsche might produce current day. I was thinking more of a 968 turbo engine and full blown interior updates ( dash, eletronics, upholstery, ... ) I dunno when I have a 200 grand to blow on it and my own shop I'll let you guys know
Old 10-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenacious_G
They should know there's one among us who already HAS a 944 S3
I never thought about using the Cayenne's V6. Now THAT is a great idea. And it wouldn't be expensive to develope. They could use...

VW GTI or Audi TT chasis, Cayenne V6 (wouldn't even need a turbo), old boxster (or even Carrera GT) head/tail lights, etc. It is doable but they will never do it because they are too busy getting into racing NASCAR. Wait one... I have to clean up the puke off my keyboard...
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt O.
...because they are too busy getting into racing NASCAR. Wait one... I have to clean up the puke off my keyboard...
The only redeeming factor is that rednecks might be able to pronounce Porsche properly after spending most of their time staring at the back end of one for a few laps... Perhaps have it spelled phonetically on the back end of the panamera...

But vomit, yes, in large quantities.. It will be interesting to see how this affects their production lineup, though.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I never thought about using the Cayenne's V6. Now THAT is a great idea. And it wouldn't be expensive to develope. They could use...

VW GTI or Audi TT chasis, Cayenne V6 (wouldn't even need a turbo), old boxster (or even Carrera GT) head/tail lights, etc. It is doable but they will never do it because they are too busy getting into racing NASCAR. Wait one... I have to clean up the puke off my keyboard...

Bit like this one posted by MichelleJD a few weeks back:

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gina.kane
Bit like this one posted by MichelleJD a few weeks back:

Wow! That looks good!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yep and holy crap I didn't realize the Cayenne's V6 was that powerful. 3.6L 290HP/273TQ. No way Porsche will do that as it will better the Cayman/Boxster performance. Oh well one can wish.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I seem to remember reading an article some time back about Porsche being involved in NASCAR a very, very, very long time ago. I wish I could find it!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
I seem to remember reading an article some time back about Porsche being involved in NASCAR a very, very, very long time ago. I wish I could find it!
That was in an issue of Excellence. Dont remember which one though.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see Porsche ever trying to do an entry-level sports car that would compete in the price class of a Miata, S2000, Solstice, STI, EVO, 350Z, etc. They simply cannot produce a car with the performance-to-price ratio that buyers in that market segment have come to expect. If people want to buy an inexpensive Porsche today, they buy used. To see why this is so, you have to look back in history.

The reason the 944 series was successful in the beginning is because they had little competition in that segment of the sports car market. That didn't last beyond the late 1980's. The reason the 944 series came to an end was purely market-driven. Buyers stopped buying 944's because the Japanese had figured out how to produce sports cars that cost less and offered comparable or better performance. Many of you may not realize that Porsche almost went out business in the early 1990's after their sales dwindled to almost nothing.

Since that time, Porsche has clearly moved upscale into a market where buyers are less price-sensitive and they have a reasonable chance of competing on the basis of performance, if not cost. Staying profitable is a very high priority now with Porsche. That's why they are producing an SUV. They have learned their lesson from the past and that's why I don't see them trying to produce an inexpensive entry-level car.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Jake, I understand and somewhat agree, however as someone pointed out a 944 in 1985 taking into account inflation which of course you must do, is comparable to a Boxster. So saying they cannot compete in a 350Z market because the 944 sales went down is like saying they shouldn't produce the Boxster because the S2000 outperforms it.

My point is that they COULD compete if they WANTED to on the 350Z / S2000 / CROSSFIRE / AUDI TT / or one of the other hundred sports coupes out there today. I really think they could. Using parts from the "bin" like the 924/944 was built. If they were geneous about it, they could even make it better then the Boxster in performance regards, but make it barebones -- minimal frills and luxuries that true enthusiasts wouldn't necessarily care about, but would keep from digging into yuppy Boxster sales.

But bottom line they don't want to because they probably think it will cheapen the brand. So instead they will continue to make $100,000 sedans and SUVs and race in NASCAR (eh-emm.. did someone say cheapen the brand?)

Seriously -- can you imagine the sales figures on a 250HP, $28-35k, bare bones no frills PORSCHE?? Track day car would take on a new meaning! I would go order one today.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jake951
I don't see Porsche ever trying to do an entry-level sports car that would compete in the price class of a Miata, S2000, Solstice, STI, EVO, 350Z, etc. They simply cannot produce a car with the performance-to-price ratio that buyers in that market segment have come to expect. If people want to buy an inexpensive Porsche today, they buy used. To see why this is so, you have to look back in history.

The reason the 944 series was successful in the beginning is because they had little competition in that segment of the sports car market. That didn't last beyond the late 1980's. The reason the 944 series came to an end was purely market-driven. Buyers stopped buying 944's because the Japanese had figured out how to produce sports cars that cost less and offered comparable or better performance. Many of you may not realize that Porsche almost went out business in the early 1990's after their sales dwindled to almost nothing.

Since that time, Porsche has clearly moved upscale into a market where buyers are less price-sensitive and they have a reasonable chance of competing on the basis of performance, if not cost. Staying profitable is a very high priority now with Porsche. That's why they are producing an SUV. They have learned their lesson from the past and that's why I don't see them trying to produce an inexpensive entry-level car.
You know your history! Mazda took a leap that no one else in the industry dared try -- they targeted the 924/944 and succeeded in making a car that scored consistently JUST under the 944's performance, but for a fraction of the price! With each iteration released, it became a stronger contender against the 44s, and before long it overtook them in performance, price, sales, the works! They are the only reason why some of us college kids are able to afford 944s in the first place -- and I use the word "afford" with respect to the initial purchase -- those surprise repairs can be a bitch, eh?

Look at sales on E-Bay -- unmodded 944s (NA) are anywhere from 5-10 grand, but non turbo RX-7s from the same year, similar condition aren't sold for less than 7 grand (as far as I've seen prowling ebay, craigslist, etc) The 924/944 may be a cult favorite, but it inspired the designs for several other cars from the 80s and 90s -- the Celica-Supra, RX-7s, 240s, 300s, even 3000GTs and Early gen eclipses give a nod to the 44 (if not the RX-7..)
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
njackett
Instructor

I dont understand... The Miata was first released in 1991, the last year of production for the 944, so how was that a major contender? Porsche has never stopped offering a low cost option, starting with the 914 through the 924, 944 and 968, now they produce the Cayman and Boxster. With inflation a brand new 944 Turbo would cost the same as a Cayman S does nowadays, if you consider inflation. The true contender for the 944 was the first and second gen RX-7s the fb and fc's, and also the Nissan 300's or fairlady's.

Quick Reply: Do you think it will ever happen? Would Porsche ever build a 944 follow-on?