Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good place to jack up and place stands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good place to jack up and place stands?

I know that you need to jack up the car at specific points and place jack stands, but since i live in a building block and have limited space to use, i was thinking of the following:

Get a block of wood size 100mm x 100mm x 100mm (a nice cube), get a 3-ton jack and use the cross-member to jack up the car, then place jack stands on the cross-member.

I require access to remove the starter and install a flywheel lock (water pump and seals being replaced).

I only require to jack up the front of the car, i could not find anyone locally who sells those neat ramps, but what i described above seems fine?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I've jacked right on the x-member for all the years I've been doing this 944 thing. On my old 84, the alloy tray doesn't mind and neither do I. On the late cars, I trim out a section of the plastic tray in the center for quick access to the x-member. Jackstands work just fine right out near the control arm pivots. No worries.

Overall, the least damaging place to lift from.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds fine to me, but can you explain what the block of wood is for? Are you putting it between the jack and the x-member?

I guess, you could, but I have never found it to be necessary. My typical sequence is (disconnect battery, car in gear, rear wheels chocked) to lift one side using the points under the door, place jack stand under x-member on that side. Repeat on on other side. Then raise the front using the jack under the x-member (in the center) and raise the jackstands. The pad on the jack I have is bigger than the x-member, so I don't need to put anything between the jack and x-member. I would start out lifting at the x-member to begin with, but there is no way I can get a jack all the way under there without lifting the car first. You should be able to do the things your talking about if you lift the front high enough. Pretty sure this is the way I did it when I replaced my starter.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Yes sorry, im placing the block of wood between the cross member and jack, you know for even load and not to scrap the cross member

Can i jack up the car from the center of the x-member? that way both from sides are up and i can slide the jack stands in easily? or do i need to jack one sie of the member at a time?

I am trying to avoid using the frame rails for jack stands (space reasons for me here are limited).
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Can i jack up the car from the center of the x-member? that way both from sides are up and i can slide the jack stands in easily? or do i need to jack one sie of the member at a time?
Yep, that is exactly what I do. But unless you have an extremely low profile jack I doubt you can get it all the way back to the x-member without raising the car first as described previously.

Just found these pics my wife shot was I replacing the starter, guess I did have the entire car lifted.

In this pic you can see the placement of the jack stands and the jack.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Yep, that is exactly what I do. But unless you have an extremely low profile jack I doubt you can get it all the way back to the x-member without raising the car first as described previously.

Just found these pics my wife shot was I replacing the starter, guess I did have the entire car lifted.

Clean garage you should look at mine lol
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

just ramp up your 2 front tires on 2x4's so you can get enough clearance jack it up from the cross member and place 2 jack stands on both ends of the cross member. There should be enough space for you to get under there. a few weeks ago i had to remove the starter to replace my clutch line.

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 87944turbo

That's how I jack mine up too. Don't you find, though, that jackstands only offer very limited clearance? Even as high as they'll go, I find it a hell of a tight squeeze. Methinks ramps would be better for engine work.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Clean garage you should look at mine lol
Damn I wish it still looked like that! That was before we parted a car and broke down an engine in there. The stuff that comes out of 20 year old suspensions, clutch housings, etc. is some pretty vile crap!
Don't worry Sam, I only hold you about 50% responsible for that

That's how I jack mine up too. Don't you find, though, that jackstands only offer very limited clearance? Even as high as they'll go, I find it a hell of a tight squeeze. Methinks ramps would be better for engine work.
Yeah, space is really limited. Sometimes i will use other jack points depending on what I am doing. I like my ramps too, but they really don't seem to get the car high enough off the ground to helpful beyond routine stuff like oil changes.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
just ramp up your 2 front tires on 2x4's so you can get enough clearance jack it up from the cross member and place 2 jack stands on both ends of the cross member. There should be enough space for you to get under there. a few weeks ago i had to remove the starter to replace my clutch line.
I do this so often I could do it now in my sleep. Drive car onto a 2X6 or 8 to gain an extra inch or two - sometimes I get really lazy and just use ramps. I then remove the belly pan. Then jack from the center of the cross member (done it with and without wood block) and add the jack stands to either side as mentioned.

My car sat like this for a good 6 months last winter:
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Damn, good work youi guys

Well, i already took off the timing belt, the power steering, ac, balance shaft belt will be coming off tomorrow.

Just ordered parts from Zims, should be here on the 17th, and i am still waiting for the flywheel lock.

Guys, you have been great, but keep the pictures coming !
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
I do this so often I could do it now in my sleep. Drive car onto a 2X6 or 8 to gain an extra inch or two - sometimes I get really lazy and just use ramps. I then remove the belly pan. Then jack from the center of the cross member (done it with and without wood block) and add the jack stands to either side as mentioned.

My car sat like this for a good 6 months last winter:
is your car rest on the swaybar?????????????
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Was waiting for that question! No... it just looks that way... the car is actually only resting on the two yellow jackstands which are placed on the cross member. The middle stand is an oh **** savior... and due to the way that the stand is sitting it looks like it is supporting the sway bar... but it is not even touching.

I'm not that comfy getting under the car when it is properly on jackstands... no way in hell would I ever try the swaybar!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
Was waiting for that question! No... it just looks that way... the car is actually only resting on the two yellow jackstands which are placed on the cross member. The middle stand is an oh **** savior... and due to the way that the stand is sitting it looks like it is supporting the sway bar... but it is not even touching.

I'm not that comfy getting under the car when it is properly on jackstands... no way in hell would I ever try the swaybar!
Just checkin thats all u comin tomm right?

Quick Reply: Good place to jack up and place stands?