Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a used 1985 944!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Rakien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a used 1985 944! - Now with PPI results...

Hello everyone

my father just bought a used 1985 Porsche 944 for $1600USD that I found on Washington DC area's Graiglist. I his soon to be 17 year old son still only have a learner's permit. My father, has nonetheless promised me that once I get my license, the car will be mine.

As for now, I've done some research on several sites including this one and I've noticed that the main concern with this car is its "timing belts" which are located next to the motor. We've already had to drive it a couple of miles which means it does actually seem to work! I am trying (and hopefully will) persuade my father to change these belts before we do anything to the car. I've also checked its VIN and everything except for the odometer listing seem to be in place.

I can't say much about the condition of the car since I have no real technical knowledge regarding cars. All I can say, is that the outside looks pretty good apart from the fact that the hood does not close properly (one corner of the hood pops up by about an inch). The interior is just as nice, everything seems to be working except for the A/C. Overall, I think the car looks quite good for having more than 20 years.

Since I do not have any idea on what exactly I should check, repair or change in the car (same applies to my dad) I resorted to this forum to seek some help.

All we know is that:

1- We have to get a a full inspection of the car.
2- We need to change the timing belts.
3- My dad says we need to change the brake pads.
4- The rest, we do not know...do you?

Attached are a couple of images of the car. I'm sorry about the quality but I had to take them at night when it was pitch dark.

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/1.JPG

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/2.JPG

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/3.JPG

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/4.JPG

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/5.JPG

http://eclipse-designs.us/images/6.JPG

Finally, I would like to add that even though I do realize that this car is rather hard to maintain and is probably not well suited for a beginner such as me; I think that it could actually help me in the long run better understand the mechanics of cars and driving in general.

P.S. If everything turns out "relatively" well this will be my very first car!

Last edited by Rakien; 10-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

if the previous owner didnt say anything about the timing belts, then do them. just because it drove 2-3 miles doesnt mean they wont snap the next time you take it for a drive, and if the po doesnt know when they were last done, its probably been too long.

also take a hose and run it over the whole car to make sure nothing leaks
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations! Yes the timing belts would be the best fix at this time. Do you have any service history when they were last changed? I think a 944 would make a great first car, the NA should not get you in any trouble on the road.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Rakien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deansk8flip
[...]and if the po doesnt know when they were last done, its probably been too long.
Are you implying that the motor might already be damaged...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

no im not saying that the motor is damaged. the longer the t-belts have been on the car, then the more likely it is that they will soon break. when i bought my 944 i didnt drive it for several months because i had to raise money for the t-belts. i knew the po hadnt changed them and didnt want to drive on the old t-belt fearing it might break
Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Rakien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smac951
Congratulations! Yes the timing belts would be the best fix at this time. Do you have any service history when they were last changed? I think a 944 would make a great first car, the NA should not get you in any trouble on the road.
Thanks alot . As for the service history, I think the last one was done in 11/2005 and it was a type "I". I'm pretty sure they did NOT check the timing belts. What's NA?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Rakien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deansk8flip
no im not saying that the motor is damaged. the longer the t-belts have been on the car, then the more likely it is that they will soon break. when i bought my 944 i didnt drive it for several months because i had to raise money for the t-belts. i knew the po hadnt changed them and didnt want to drive on the old t-belt fearing it might break
Well, that's reassuring. Do you think we should go to the extreme of getting the car towed a couple of miles to the nearest mechanic who can do it or do you think driving it 10 or 11 extra miles won't hurt it. Oh and I forgot to say that it has around 118k miles on it...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rakien
What's NA?
Naturally Aspirated. No turbocharger. Have fun, these cars are a blast.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

have you looked at the hood to figure out why its not closing right? my guess would be a warped or bent hood.

regardless, congratulations on the car!

P.S.
NA is short for naturally aspirated

edit - silverman man beat me to it lol
Old 09-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

nah, you shouldnt have to tow it. the chances of it breaking in the next few miles are very slim. but until you know how much life is left on the belt i wouldnt be driving in on a 15 mile commute every day or something. also dont rev it too high, like 4000 rpm should probably be the max until you know how much life is left on it. some people might say im being a little paranoid about it breaking, but in my opinion its better to be safe then sorry.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Rakien
Rennlist Member

ok so NA = a type of engine. got it.

Haven't had the chance to look at it well yet. Will do so tomorow.

The hood might be bent or warped as you say. In the case it trully is, do you think it would cost alot to repair it?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

well i dont know if its bent or not it could be due to some other cause like frame damage (i doubt it) or maybe the shock that keeps it up is bent or something im not sure how much a hood would cost. it would also depend if you would have to paint it or not.

edit - in fact, frame damage probably isnt even a possibility as there would be other signs
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 AM
jgleano
Instructor

congrats on the car dude. The 944 was my 1st car too. My dad bought it when I turned 15 and spent the greater part of my high school years restoring it since it had really bad front-end damage when we bought it. I am 21 now and do not consider trading or selling or even retiring my 944. Its such a great ride and it has not let me down.

enjoy it and drive safe
Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With this site and a couple others you can honestly learn to do many of the common maintenance items yourself. I had never done more than oil changes on my own before I bought my first 944 and I have done all sorts of jobs myself pretty much with only basic shop tools.

Brakes are one of the items on this list of easy things to do. And in the process you can learn a ton of stuff so that you know exactly how your car works and what the parts are.

I say all this because if you are going to take your car to a mechanic for a timing belt, you will quickly find out why so many of us do these jobs ourselves. Many Porsche shops charge a premium hourly rate that can quickly overwhelm. Quite often the jobs are not difficult it is just that you need to remove other parts like the air filter or engine undertrays to access the desired repair area. In addition there are many online parts resellers that sponsor this forum that offer parts at a fair discount to what a local shop might charge. Doing it yourself can save a lot of money.

I don't want to discourage you, there are many awesome mechanics and I do use a shop at times on my cars. But search this forum and find a good reputable place to do it, preferably one that has lots of experience with 944's.

Your car looks pretty complete and in good condition in the engine bay. Regardless of how it gets done, replace the timing belt and all pulleys on the front of the motor, and perhaps the waterpump. Fix up those brakes, check out the tires, and drive it!

In fact many regions of the PCA, Audi club, and other car clubs offer excellent driver's training classes for teens. Not boring license classes, but great fun days where you get to learn how your car behaves and how to properly control it when situations demand. Check them out as they will make you a much better driver.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:02 AM
PixelGrinder
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 944 was my first car as well. It was in terrible condition when it was given to me when I was 15. Similar to jgleano I spent 4 years restoring it back to its prime. As long as you don't abuse your car it will treat you well. I know it did for me

Quick Reply: Just bought a used 1985 944!