Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 924s DAY ONE: wipers die

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 87 924s DAY ONE: wipers die

so i just brought home a cherry (black) 87 924s, 100k mi,

on the test drive, the wipers made a slightlyu sick sound. the price wasnt bad, so i went for it.

on the way home the wipers died mid-stroke. Now with a little help (lifting up most of the stroke) they will complete the cycle, but it seems something is stopping them on the first 15% of their up stroke. When they arent going, a strange electrical motor sound is going on. without knowing the way the thing is built mechanically, i have no idea what im in for. The thing is the car wasnt driven that much in recent years, the guy had a new benz and an x5 - so maybe some lubrication would help. so.. any suggestions on ways to improve this sittuation.

1 - Is this something i can trouble shoot myself before taking it in - im moderately mechanical.
2 - is it uncool to mention this to the seller, being that i just paid him 45 min ago.
3- Maybe I'm just new to porsche's, but the car has kind of a deleyed laggy feel when i take my foot off of the gas in say 3rd gear. not sure if that makes sense, but its not the coasting feeling i am used to, isnt quite a grinding sound, but something metallic.

hopefully none of this is a big deal. any tips would be great. thinking about buying the bentley book, even though i dont have a garage. has anyone looked at the 924/44 maint. dvd for sale on amazon?

thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the service "manuals" that are commercially produced ore best used for storing old parts receipts. Find a factory service manual on evilbay.

BTW where are you located?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
jbob
Racer

seattle wa
Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its probably that big round reflector... sorry, couldn't help myself!

Seriously though, I don't know about the wipers but you may need to check your transaxle and torque tube if you are hearing metallic when you take your foot off the gas. The sound would be there all the time but you may not hear it over the engine.

Also, if when you lift the throttle, and then press- if there is a lag in response time, it could be a clutch. When I replaced the old rubber clutch (which even though it was still working had totally fallen apart) for a spring centered one, that stopped.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 AM
jbob
Racer

i'll look into that.

hey - you're not dominican are you? i sat on a plane to the DR next to a guy with your name - checked out your page - and he bought a few jack and cokes.

im pretty excited about the car, the condition and amazingly meticulous records are great. went down and just sat in it before now heading off to bed, getting sittuated with the button layout.

any tips on the wipers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
seattle wa
Bring it to me, I can at least take a look at it and give the "motor sound" a listen to. I can reccomend a good Seattle shop if I can't figure it out.

I'm also in Seattle, very near the Shoreline border, just off Greenwood Ave.
Oh...and I also have a 924S
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
hey - you're not dominican are you?
No, the last name is Spanish (as in Spain) but it is my step dads. If I were Dominican, I'd be making big bucks playing baseball.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) I've got the same thing. it's the wiper switch. $90.00 at Paragon for the cheapest I've found. I took apart the steering column and found that the switch is very worn out. I cleaned it and it worked for a bit... but it's most definately the switch.

2) Yeah, it'd be uncool. you bought the car as-is.

3) My guess is the PO replaced the clutch, and didn't put enough shims on the throwout bearing. BOTH of my cars have that because I'm a moron. can't really do any damage, but does make a metallic, rattling sound when coasting, especially in 1st or 2nd gear, coming from a little foward, under the shifter/dash.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
jbob
Racer

what would the general steps be on putting in this part?

for an amateur, how hard would this be to do?

also, being a total newbie, whose parents just moved out of town, what would be the most useful sizes or sets of wrench's / socket sets i should get for this car?
i appreciate all the helpful comments!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

- most ive seen that do that have a stripped out large gear in the wiper motor- one part strips and it'll catch until they get to the stripped out part. If it were the switch they wouldnt work at all.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
jbob
Racer

do you think that requires a completely new wiper motor?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unless someone offers a new gear- havent seen one- pull the wiper motor from in front of the windshield, pull the cover on the side of the motor to expose the gear and see if its stripped out. That'll tell you for sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Hey!!! (mike in apt301 here)

You Bought a 924s! Congratulations!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
jbob
Racer

hey mike
welcome back!

yeah, we'll have to grab another coffee! thanks for not letting me buy that beater

im thinking im going to do it myself, bellevue library has a 924 automatic manual, and i figure it will work for replacing the wiper motor.

someone said the factory service manuals are way better - anyone have any tiups on how to obtain those?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Bring it to me, I can at least take a look at it and give the "motor sound" a listen to. I can reccomend a good Seattle shop if I can't figure it out.

I'm also in Seattle, very near the Shoreline border, just off Greenwood Ave.
Oh...and I also have a 924S
Cool, two more 924S people in Seattle. Mine's an '87 also. I'm in the area anyway... off Maple Valley Fwy east of Renton. Actually that's WAY far away from Shoreline according to google maps.

jbob, if the northeast / Maple Valley Fwy (169) side of Renton is closer to you I can have a look at it this weekend. Pretty sure I have a spare wiper switch around somewhere if you need to test. The Haynes manual (I have one) I'm pretty sure covers wiper motor replacement. Otherwise, give Clark's Garage a try. http://www.clarks-garage.com

Quick Reply: 87 924s DAY ONE: wipers die