Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 as kid's first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

944/924s do pretty good in the snow w/ the proper tires and not lowered! My fiance drove a 924s for three or more years every day. Only problems we had w/ the car was the rear wheel bearing going out -twice- and a couple small things that were easily fixed. Car had some RE750's on it and did great in the snow on the hills downtown where she went to school and now works. Also autox'd it and did some porsche events. She learned how to drive a manual after one lesson in my 944, then she had to drive the 924s home from toledo. By the time we got home she was a pro.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Don't you hang out in OT? If so, "do some research" is lovey puppy breath kisses compared to what you read there everyday.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I work for a defensive driving school for teens and unless the 944 has ABS and airbags I would stay away. 43% of teens get in a accident their first year of driving and it is the number 1 killer of teens in America. #2-#10 of reasons for deaths among teenagers (drugs, guns, natural, etc.) don't equal #1. I would put her in a more modern car at first like a Jetta, Volvo, Accord with airbags, ABS and crumpel zones and then in a few years get her a 944. A 911 is a really bad idea since you need exerience driving those. First time she lifts off the gas in a corner going a little fast she'll be in the woods or on coming traffic. Just my $.02 on this, but I hope you get her something else.
I would be happy to talk to you more about this in private if you'd like. Good luck!

Thanks Jay. I will take you up on that sometime.

My girl has a very level head and is pretty mature for her age (5 younger brothers and sisters partly I guess). However, I am definitely not naive to think she is infallible and won;t make a mistake. One of the recent GRM mags had an article about teens and SCCA drivign schools I think. I think something like this is a great idea and am looking into it. Any of you familiar with these...? Jay?

I really appreciate everyone's comments shared... young, old and anywhere inbetween. It has all given me much to think about. Part of my thinking on this was to have something to teach her something about cars with. Even if it is just basic maintenance items. Sounds like maybe a 944 does not fill this bill very well. But, I will keep the research going.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

to add...

it really depends on whether your daughter is a bimbo or not. I have 3 girls. My oldest I would trust with a 944. #2, NO WAY. She's a loose cannon. Can't say about #3 (she's almost 2), but the way things are going so far, it would be a thumbs down for her too.

The things I like about the 944 for a kid:

#1 The back seat is compromised. See the post about having other kids in the car. My policy for our girls will be that there will be a driver and passanger and that's it.

#2 Well balanced
#3 Sturdy cockpit
#4 Memories. We like to give our kids the opportunity to experiece life a little differently than their peers. I think this teaches them to appreciate things a bit more than the 'me too' crowd.

What I don't like:

#1 The alternatives to the back seat (flip down = queen size bed)
#2 Rear wheel drive
#3 Insurance

I'm still several years out, but most likely I would not choose a 944 as her first car. I also will stay away from anything like a del sol, miata, etc. (too small = beer can crush). My choices are:

Jetta
Saturn
Toyota
Honda

Sure, a 944 would be fun for all of us and I might change my mind, but it just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading upthread, the younger males posts reminds me of why i never hassled my daughter about the trash in the back seat .

Having a lot of cars to choose from, including 2 944's at the time, I decided against giving a 944 to her. She was very mature and mechanically inclined but just knowing these cars are going to leave you high and dry at some point put her in a Honda.

I have a son that is 15 now and the same is going to apply. Just knowing the car is completely reliable is worth it. Now if he wants to take the na car out, or even drive it for a week, that's cool. Just not as a DD

my 02

--Sid
Old 09-27-2007, 02:41 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd concur starting out in a sporty fwd based Japanese car. They are built mainly for reliability rather than speed / performance. A Honda tends to give you more sportiness yet the reliability. They are also cheap and easy to repair and FWD with a novice driver (it is much easier for a novice to counter understeer as you can let off the gas or keep steering while still on the throttle) is much safer combo. Honda's also have taken a major stride in safety even though they are smaller vehicles. The 2001 Civic coupe with SAB was the first compact ever to receive 5 star crash safety across the board (front & side).

Don't get me wrong. I love driving my S2 - yet I also love driving my '89 Civic racecar. But when it's my child I'll likely have him start out with a FWD car so he can learn and be safe. Then move him over to something more performance oriented and RWD (when he's ready and taken some driving schools too).

The smart thing is keep the Honda as his main transportation and DD...then when he asks nicely he can take out dad's Porsche.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RBed944
#1 The alternatives to the back seat (flip down = queen size bed)
I never quite thought of it as a bed but now that you mention it...

Does someone have that picture of a 944 with 20+ cases of beer in the back?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I can try to get that pic on Saturday for you...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
944CS
Drifting

944's are extremely easy to learn manual on, and extremely easy to be smooth with.
If you are going to get her a 5 speed, make it known to her how important it is that she does not let anyone else drive the car but herself. Explain to her how boys will see that its a porsche, will want to drive it hard, and how certain expensive items can break easily if her boy friends want to do burnouts or things of that nature. Also explain how expensive they are (clutch, trans, cv axles). If I were you I would look for a late car that has less than 100K miles. In '87 ABS and airbags became an option, I would go this route.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
944CS
Drifting

oh, and about the queen sized bed in the back, theres no room unless the hatch is open, and if thats the case you're being way too conspicuous
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

My daughter turns 16 in April, and is a Porsche nut like her dad but all the above issues have gone thru my mind too so this thread has my interest. Anyone actually compared insurance costs for say a Honda Accord or similar vs. the 944?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Yes, as I have payed insurance for both, 944 is a LITTLE more that an Accord insurance wise about $20-40 more per month from what I remember. This would be my 83' compared to a 98' Accord, both fully paid for. My 99' 4runner on the other hand is more than the 944. Basic coverage for me at 20 years old (you'll want full) currently costs about $60 a month (and thats with a multi-car discount).
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944CS
oh, and about the queen sized bed in the back, theres no room unless the hatch is open, and if thats the case you're being way too conspicuous
ummm....not true.

really.

not

true.

(you'll have to move the front seats forward and fold them, but yeah, it works)
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

^ gotta try that. Oh how convenient another homecoming in 3 weeks....
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Thanks Jay. I will take you up on that sometime.

My girl has a very level head and is pretty mature for her age (5 younger brothers and sisters partly I guess). However, I am definitely not naive to think she is infallible and won;t make a mistake. One of the recent GRM mags had an article about teens and SCCA drivign schools I think. I think something like this is a great idea and am looking into it. Any of you familiar with these...? Jay?

I really appreciate everyone's comments shared... young, old and anywhere inbetween. It has all given me much to think about. Part of my thinking on this was to have something to teach her something about cars with. Even if it is just basic maintenance items. Sounds like maybe a 944 does not fill this bill very well. But, I will keep the research going.

Thanks

Any driving school you can get her in would be a good thing. You can NEVER have enough training and I would get her in some sort of program ASAP before she learns to many bad habbits. Our Skid School humbles the kids so much because they think they are gods gift to driving when they get there. When they leave they know they are not that good, but that they do have the tools to help them remain safe. I wish she could come take our course! It would be my pleasure to get her into our program.

Quick Reply: 944 as kid's first car?