Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'M NEW TO 951'S AND MY TURBO WENT OUT. LOOKING TO UPGRADE.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well dont get too excited. I know of only 1 951 with more than 500HP..............I haven't heard of any others.....thats not to say they are not out there though...........
Old 09-14-2007, 12:13 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Andial, what's yours putting down? 400s?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Andial, what's yours putting down? 400s?
Since I just got the car runnign again I haven't had the chance to dyno it. Others with the same turbo have made 400RWHP and one other I forget his name has a 2.8L with the same turbo making 420rwhp.

However I think the Scivision MAF will be a limiting factor......but I do have a LR Stage IV on the shelf if needed.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, I woudn't ever jump to saying 500whp without head work. If so, prove it. Otherwise I'd say NO. Not on a 8V anyways. 16V turbo I'd believe. But without larger displacement and only 8 valves with such a terrible flowing head, 500whp is not something easy as ppl make it out to be. I think it's rather funny when ppl say "oh 500whp? no problem". If that were the case there'd be so many more ppl with that level of power.

You have a bit of reading to do before you jump to conclusion. If you want something easy and quick, go with a Vitesse kit. But don't expect a bolt on 400whp. With a stage 3 kit on pump gas with 15 psi you'll be around 315-330 with what that vendor advertises. For some reason ppl on rennlist think if you just pop on a Vitesse Stage 3 kit you'll have 500whp. Special Tool, with his high hp numbers, had a lot more then just a basic Stage 3 kit, lots of boost and no pump gas. We need to remember that. He made it look easy, which is not the case.

Also, keep in mind the high HP output is not what you should be after. You could have 600whp but be slower then a 300whp car with your mountain peak of a dyno curve. (that was a shot below the belt at your new turbo ST, lol!)

You need to answer the question, what do you plan to use this for? Do you want response or just a number to get girls with? ST has the numbers to get girls with, too bad he's married.

Ok, that's my opinion. Read up, then read up some more. Then decide. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:47 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

(4,001 wooooot)

I bet you could cut off the flange on the end of the torque tube and turn it a bit and reweld it and be able to do this..

LOL. Yeah, that easy. Right!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by DDP
Um, I woudn't ever jump to saying 500whp without head work. If so, prove it. Otherwise I'd say NO. Not on a 8V anyways. 16V turbo I'd believe. But without larger displacement and only 8 valves with such a terrible flowing head, 500whp is not something easy as ppl make it out to be. I think it's rather funny when ppl say "oh 500whp? no problem". If that were the case there'd be so many more ppl with that level of power.

You have a bit of reading to do before you jump to conclusion. If you want something easy and quick, go with a Vitesse kit. But don't expect a bolt on 400whp. With a stage 3 kit on pump gas with 15 psi you'll be around 315-330 with what that vendor advertises. For some reason ppl on rennlist think if you just pop on a Vitesse Stage 3 kit you'll have 500whp. Special Tool, with his high hp numbers, had a lot more then just a basic Stage 3 kit, lots of boost and no pump gas. We need to remember that. He made it look easy, which is not the case.

Also, keep in mind the high HP output is not what you should be after. You could have 600whp but be slower then a 300whp car with your mountain peak of a dyno curve. (that was a shot below the belt at your new turbo ST, lol!)

You need to answer the question, what do you plan to use this for? Do you want response or just a number to get girls with? ST has the numbers to get girls with, too bad he's married.

Ok, that's my opinion. Read up, then read up some more. Then decide. Good luck!

You’re not kidding man; there are no easy kits out there or a proven formula. I’m trying to come up with something.

I talked to some guys right here in Phoenix and they do custom fabrication on the manifolds intake or exhaust, and he said he has already moved a couple of turbos in 944’s so I’m going over to see how he did it.

If that is the case; I can go with the BB turbo and the Vitesse MAF kit, piggyback kit, fuel pump, injectors, and come out with a good range of power through the RBM's for street and track.

That is just bolt on as far as the head work and block work, that is another story.

It always looks good on paper but when you get every thing together and go to the Dyno for the first time you always come out and
Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
You’re not kidding man; there are no easy kits out there or a proven formula. I’m trying to come up with something.

I talked to some guys right here in Phoenix and they do custom fabrication on the manifolds intake or exhaust, and he said he has already moved a couple of turbos in 944’s so I’m going over to see how he did it.

If that is the case; I can go with the BB turbo and the Vitesse MAF kit, piggyback kit, fuel pump, injectors, and come out with a good range of power through the RBM's for street and track.

That is just bolt on as far as the head work and block work, that is another story.

It always looks good on paper but when you get every thing together and go to the Dyno for the first time you always come out and
I've yet to see a BB turbo provide boost quicker or more HP then my Vitesse Stage 2 @ the same boost levels. You can't go wrong with the vitesse kit.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I've yet to see a BB turbo provide boost quicker or more HP then my Vitesse Stage 2 @ the same boost levels. You can't go wrong with the vitesse kit.
i've seen BB turbos do crazy things on Supras and Silvias. but than again i don't know the 951 so i'm not going to put my foot in my moth.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

My bad for the 500 HP advice... I must've been drunk...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:21 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
LOL. Yeah, that easy. Right!
well, say youve got the shaft out for a bearing replacement.

I don't see why not.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:40 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

well, say youve got the shaft out for a bearing replacement.

I don't see why not.
lol. You continue to amaze me. Are you drinking as well?

It takes a bit more then just that, trust me.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I won't argue with you, but there aren't too many ppl attempting to prove you wrong.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
I won't argue with you, but there aren't too many ppl attempting to prove you wrong.
I'm not saying that the BB's don't spool quickly or can't make great power. In my experience though, I haven't seen one that spools quicker or makes more power to make it worth it as far as ease of installation goes and out of the box tuning goes. There have been a few BB's installed on the 951's and I've driven two of them and I'm just not seeing or feeling the difference.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
lol. You continue to amaze me. Are you drinking as well?

It takes a bit more then just that, trust me.
Is there some special restriction on the flange that would prevent you from cutting and rewelding it? Last time my engine was out it looked like a big ol' pipe.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:33 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

I'm not saying that the BB's don't spool quickly or can't make great power. In my experience though, I haven't seen one that spools quicker or makes more power to make it worth it as far as ease of installation goes and out of the box tuning goes. There have been a few BB's installed on the 951's and I've driven two of them and I'm just not seeing or feeling the difference.
Well that is good to know because I would rather put the extra money in something that matters. Like O ring the head.

Man I don't know what I’m doing I should be restoring my 75 455 4 speed TRANS AM this year. But this 951 just sucked me in.

Quick Reply: I'M NEW TO 951'S AND MY TURBO WENT OUT. LOOKING TO UPGRADE.