Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt covers - delete or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know how messy it would have been with the belt covers off when I had my power steering leak. Seeing as I just kept filing it since I didn't use the car much, it I had about a 1cm thick area on the cross member and oil pan by the time I changed them. 3 cans of engine bright later and it looked like new. If that had gotten under the belt cover, I'd have had problems.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I may be special, but usually when I remove my belly pan, there are still some rocks, debris, and gunk on top of it. So obviously road debris still finds a way into the engine bay, even with the pan. No offense intended to anyone that runs without the belt covers, but I'll keep mine on.

(says the guy who has deleted just about everything else on his car )
Old 08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of it this way. Porsche's race prepped engines for the GT3 Cup, Firehawk (944s) series, etc. all have / had belt covers on them. Look at most road race engines and the majority by far will be protected. That 1/2 a pound you save is not worth the risk. Yes the engine does look nicer for showing the car but it's not worth the risk.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

After a rash of issues related to my belts and the crank bolt, I decided that running without the belts saved me hours of work while troubleshooting and replacing stuff. I ended up keeping them off for a while to monitor tension. I liked it so much, that I kept them off for the last year I owned the car.
No problems.

With pans in place, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
Car is my 87 944 and is mostly street. I hate having those covers in my way.
I would leave them on for street use. I don't run them on my track car.

My thinking is this. There is some risk without the covers of debris getting caught in there. On my track car I have the hood open so much that I am constantly looking at the belts so it makes sense to see them quickly. On street car I pop the hood every few thousand miles so what is the point of "quick access". I never look in there much anyway.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Just enlarge the hole for the crank in the rear cover, so it can slip over the crank pulley.
I like that idea. I will definitely try it on my next water pump change.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
Think of it this way. Porsche's race prepped engines for the GT3 Cup, Firehawk (944s) series, etc. all have / had belt covers on them. Look at most road race engines and the majority by far will be protected. That 1/2 a pound you save is not worth the risk. Yes the engine does look nicer for showing the car but it's not worth the risk.

I have driven my track car since October 2000. That is approaching 7 years of autocross and track duty. Never any street miles, still some 118 days of track use. I have been off track probably 150 times or more. I even went off at Turn 9 at Willow springs at over 100 mph and ran up a dirt berm maybe 400 yards off track. In that time I have never one gotten any debris in the belts. I do always run the stock under tray. I have however spotted many minor oil leaks and even worn rollers. I have also check the belt tension many many times and can do t-belt change in 20 mintues.

For a track car I believe it is a safe mod as the time saved during engine inspections is well worth it. The reason I don't suggest it on street cars is for me at least I don't inspect the engine often enough to be of any benefit.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by streckfu's
After a rash of issues related to my belts and the crank bolt, I decided that running without the belts saved me hours of work while troubleshooting and replacing stuff.
Didn't you have issues with your accessories not working properly?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would love to delete the covers- but then my ps will start leaking and soak down my timing belt or something and then where would i be?

- i know tifo, go w/ a manual rack...bleh- or hey coolant could get on the belts too- im not going air cooled!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:55 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Didn't you have issues with your accessories not working properly?
The last mechanic I paid to install the belts put the timing belt pully on backward. I have no idea how the belt never before retensioning it...Then the crank seal started to leak after nicking when removing said pulley.

The only other accessory to bad was the voltage regulator which had me pulling the alternator a couple of times for testing.

And I had the starter short to engage while the engine was running.

Not much related to the belts but a fun year all the way around....
Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

The car in question has been converted to manual steering.........
Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I guess you didn't catch how I was being funny because you said you ran your car without the "belts" and not "belt covers".
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, with manual steering, I think it'd eliminate the big downside, but still have the problem of rocks/debris. It's more risky... how much risk are you willing to take with your engine?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
I have driven my track car since October 2000. That is approaching 7 years of autocross and track duty. Never any street miles, still some 118 days of track use. I have been off track probably 150 times or more. I even went off at Turn 9 at Willow springs at over 100 mph and ran up a dirt berm maybe 400 yards off track. In that time I have never one gotten any debris in the belts. I do always run the stock under tray. I have however spotted many minor oil leaks and even worn rollers. I have also check the belt tension many many times and can do t-belt change in 20 mintues.

For a track car I believe it is a safe mod as the time saved during engine inspections is well worth it. The reason I don't suggest it on street cars is for me at least I don't inspect the engine often enough to be of any benefit.
I've seen 2 cars that got some debris up in the belts. One was a Honda that pulled up a lot of weeds into their belts when they were pulling back on the track (I'm not sure he had a belly pan on his car) - he was lucky as the belts didn't break but he got a lot of debris in there. The 2nd one was a 944 that had half the belt torn due to a rock that got up in there from running through a gravel trap (he had the factory belly pan on). The car ran rough after going off and when he got back into the pits he noticed the damage.

The way I see is that the mfgr puts these on for a specific reason. If you look at a lemans prototype they have quick release belt covers with cooling ducts and ventilation. There is really nothing wrong with deleting them just I would say an increased risk of damage. I do see your point as to its much quicker and easier to inspect seals etc and that is a useful to a racer. This is just all opinion.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I guess you didn't catch how I was being funny because you said you ran your car without the "belts" and not "belt covers".
D'OH! I see.

Quick Reply: Belt covers - delete or not?