Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2500 dually with no brakes going downhill vs. Porsche 944, and the winner is...(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2500 dually with no brakes going downhill vs. Porsche 944, and the winner is...(pics)

Whelp fellas, it seems I'm out the game.

PICS added what I add will be in red.

I'll just get to it....

I was heading to my family reunion and having a nice time. Since we were all going to the same place some family members decided to carpool. My dad drove a few people and my mom rode with me. Everything was going fine until we came to the last turn before we got to the reunion.

The light turned green and all traffic on the other side came to a stop.
I proceed to turn and then I heard my mom scream. I look right and see a white blur then hear a loud crash. ( if you've ever been in a wreck, you know what sound I'm talking about) My car spins 45 degrees to the left; I see my hood bent up and steam pouring from my engine. I look to my right and check on my mom and then look to the left and see a Deputy pull up. I get out and see the truck wedged deep in a ditch lying on its driver side. I see my dad as he gets out of his car. He has this bewildered look on his face, He just saw his wife and son get creamed in his rear view mirror!

Crude artists’ rendition…

Why did he hit us, you ask? Well it seems his truck lost braking power coming down a hill and he was flying down the emergency lane to avoid traffic. The deputy said he saw the man driving erratically and was trying to catch up to him before he got to the intersection. I give him an “A” for effort.
The guy didn’t want to plow into the stopped cars in front of him so he made a go for the intersection.
Why didn’t he throw on the E-brake, or toss it into P, N or R I don’t know. Yes it would’ve blown his engine but I think that outcome would’ve been better than the alternative, trust me on that one.

Fortunately our injuries were minor. My back was killing me but they gave me Percocet and now I feel fantastic. This makes my 3rd non-fault accident I’ve had in 16 months I think its time for a H2.

*Sigh* thanks for everything rennlist. I'm really gonna miss sharing my tales of 944 love and hate. I'll be parting my car out pretty soon and placing the parts on eBay. I'll link you guys to the auction and yes the package tray is FINE!

As a last request from my 944 can I get a few of the threads I created added to the "D.I.Y. / How To" section of the boards?

Oh and I’d consider the accident a draw.

Edit: I’ll have pics up tomorrow.

Ok you can see how he lost it and went into the ditch. Dude crawled out of the passenger side window and was talking to us. I was kinda pissed so my conversations with him were minimal. No i did not take a picture of him.

Zoomed in a little

As I hobbled around I saw this and it seemed so sad

What of the car you say?

I likes to make a scene, look at all the traffic

My sexy dad in his flower shirt

What about me..

Talk about being precautions. I felt like Hannibal Lecter in that thing. I did feel safe though.

Last edited by Royalty; 08-05-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I be the first to ask.....

What's a package tray?

Seriously though, glad you guys are alright, I had an accident with my mom in the car once, ran over a curb... coming down a really icy hill and despite going only 5 km/h there was no stopping. It was either a stop sign, a car or roll over a curb.... good thing it was in my old scooby

Here's to a speedy recovery, and sorry to hear you're out of the 944 game
Old 08-05-2007, 04:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I crashed my mom's 944 twice, once my fault, once not my fault. Crashed just plain suck and I hope you and her both get/stay healthy. The car's just a car; they all turn to dust eventually.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Could have been tragic - count your blessings man.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

What'd the car come out looking like?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Royalty
Banned

PIcs added
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it/see it. I'm glad to hear you and your Mom are O.K.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Make sure you get a thorough set of x-rays asap! Glad to see you are well enough to post after that, but don't take any chances.

Shame about your car,it looked pretty nice. Can we assume you'll be getting another one?

Regards,
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Dude!!!! Glad your not hurt....
I live about 2 hours from you but if you need help with it let me know...
That was one nice looking car, sniff...

Did the doors still open after that hard of a hit?
These are some awesome cars...

Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

that hella sucks. Although i wish i could ditch my 44 like that right now =(
Old 08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! That looks like a serious hit -- I'm glad you and your mom came out okay. It could easily have been more serious....

I hate seeing cars get creamed like that after someone's put so much time and effort into it.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why would you want to wreck your 944? To get out from under the payments or something? Get real.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by sh944
Make sure you get a thorough set of x-rays asap! Glad to see you are well enough to post after that, but don't take any chances.

Shame about your car,it looked pretty nice. Can we assume you'll be getting another one?

Regards,
They did plenty of x-rays and they were negative. I'm back to physical therapy tomorrow though
Nah i think this is it for me. Ive had a 931 and a 944. I'm done. Maybe a nice vette or M3 or something like that

Originally Posted by NeoRules
Dude!!!! Glad your not hurt....
I live about 2 hours from you but if you need help with it let me know...
That was one nice looking car, sniff...

Did the doors still open after that hard of a hit?
These are some awesome cars...

Glad you weren't hurt.
Thanks, and yes both doors opened properly.

Originally Posted by xsboost90
why would you want to wreck your 944? To get out from under the payments or something? Get real.
As a young man who owned a 944 I can empathize. These are very expensive cars to maintain and very sensitive to the way you drive. I wouldnt go so far as to wish it wrecked though. I'm sure someone out there would love to have it.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Youch, man! Glad you're OK. I can only imagine what the other drivers were thinking...

As someone else stated, I don't see why he didn't A, B, or C. He should have shut the engine off as soon as he realized something was wrong.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:36 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like the Porsche did it's job at making sure you made it out. Go buy another one ASAP. Glad you are ok, it could have been far worse.

Quick Reply: 2500 dually with no brakes going downhill vs. Porsche 944, and the winner is...(pics)