Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo an N/A???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You know I see this about 4 times a year .. i'm still amused.

search 'nine-44' as a member here. He's done it, and I drove it on the maiden voyage to 944 fest a few years back.
Can it be done? yes. at a cost.. time, parts, and headaches.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, it can be done.

Ask yourself, are you up to it, and then decide. If you're not comfortable in plumbing, you're not going to complete this. I've turbocharged Euro 924 NA and made it faster than stock 250hp 951. And it's reliable also.10 000 kms and counting, + 5-6 drag races and track events.

Made a thread here in Rennlist also.

If someone says it's impossible, it's BS, but it's definitely NOT for everyone.
Usually those who say it isn't worth it, buy a turbo or it's just pointless are the guys who can't do almost anything by themselves (e.g. create something), they just make everything what someone else has said or done. Or they just take their Porsche to mechanics just for an oil change. Those who recognize themselves, can keep their advises to theirselves because there's always majority of those.

If you wan't just to drive your car, then don't do it but as for hobby car, I can experiment with it and it makes it just better. But again, this is NOT for everyone.

Peace.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I completely agree with raceboy

I don't remember the last time this post has come up.. unless I missed it , must have been weeks if not months.

I don't think its such a bad question.. but a ton of bad answers. If you search "how to turbo your n/a" you'll get 99% posts when its everyone saying its impossible and posting that pic of the 951 ad. About 1% information. Thats pathetic. The only reason everyone says "go buy a 951" is because the 951 is there already...

The thing is.. some people want a car they that looks good/runs well/ etc but they can't afford a 951 all at once. Or they just bought a 944 and want to make it faster but they don't want to deal with selling/buying a new car and getting a fresh set of problems.. or they just like tinkering (which I'm sure he does if he did itbs on an mr2) and are capable of building something significantly faster then a 944...

Plenty of people have turbocharged much less capable cars (honda civics, DODGE CARAVAN, v6 camaros, etc) and have gotten great results. Why not turbo an already capable platform ? It is cheaper to buy a good condition late 944 and turbo that (if you can find deals and do your own work) then it is to buy a similar condition 951.

If you are capable of the work - which is far more straightforward then turbocharging some of the crap I've seen.. I mean porsche already did most of the work..- why not?

Danno and a few other listers (also Dan.. the guy who swapped his chasis with Ian from NC) runs an n/a block in his turbo and have had good luck. Keep the boost lower then you would on the turbo and tuned well and you shouldn't have problems.

i could go on and on but use as many factory parts as you can and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1764946
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 197 Posts

Usually those who say it isn't worth it, buy a turbo or it's just pointless are the guys who can't do almost anything by themselves (e.g. create something), they just make everything what someone else has said or done. Or they just take their Porsche to mechanics just for an oil change.
---- just keep telling yourself that.

yes, it's one thing to enjoy tinkering with things, I'll concede that. However, it is entirely different to have the skills to fabricate, but be more interested in having the best sports car you can afford.... for most of us morons who are too dumb to turbo our NA's, we realize that we will not reach our goals by starting with the worst platform available! In extreme cases, yes you would throw away ALL the stock suspension and brakes anyway, but most of us aren't there yet. Many stock turbo parts are still adequate for "hard" street duty. And honestly, for me, the aesthetic value of the 951 is well worth the price of admission (though that does fall under the category of to each his own)!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 AM
marcone
6th Gear

"we will not reach our goals by starting with the worst platform available! In extreme cases, yes you would throw away ALL the stock suspension and brakes anyway"

Cmon Smokintr6... All you need is spindles and calipers to do the brakes. Not terribly expencive... Turbo piping and turbo goes for cheap lately.. few hundred dollars. and then mapping the computer. Maaaybe the tranny isnt as strong as the turbos...but Neither is a honda.... and they are turbo-ed tons! The N/A can be turbo-ed easily ... and not terribly costly... you just have to be careful you dont go too nuts on the boost.
If at the end of the day you mess up the pistons or rods...(which will definitely hold up... no matter what you say as to them being not as strong. .. ) you can always, if need be, resleeve and get new pistons that are good for 550hp+ including rings and rods for 3500.00 All in!!!!!! Ive done it this summer...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marcone

Cmon Smokintr6... All you need is spindles and calipers to do the brakes. Not terribly expencive......
Really? Someone has posted a list on here before that shows that it takes a few more parts than that. The list varies according to the year of 944 that you are modifying. "expencive" is relative, and depends on how you source the parts and if you want to do it the right way or the cobbled way.

Turbo piping and turbo goes for cheap lately.. few hundred dollars. and then mapping the computer....
You make it sound so easy. Are you a salesman?

Maaaybe the tranny isnt as strong as the turbos......
I *think*, that over the years it has been established that the stock N/A trans can barely even handle 143hp. Especially if it has some wear on it. I could be wrong though!

If at the end of the day you mess up the pistons or rods...(which will definitely hold up... no matter what you say as to them being not as strong. .. ) you can always, if need be, resleeve and get new pistons that are good for 550hp+ including rings and rods for 3500.00 All in!!!!!! Ive done it this summer...
Could you go into a little more detail on your project?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i bought my turbo for $5500.....

you can buy a nice n/a for what...$2200- buy a turbo motor for like $2000, get a turbo trans for like $500- source the heat shields, exhaust, clutch lines, computers and harness if they didnt come w/ the motor, upgrade the brakes w/ stock or buy the rennbay fronts and put turbo rears on, get a turbo rear valance, source an intercooler, lines, the water crossover pipe for the turbos, bigger radiator, put a new clutch in-hopefully you wouldnt use an old stock clutch- oil cooler and lines, etc etc etc.. 12k later you have a "turbo". Now there is nothing wrong with this at all- but realistically , you have a car still worth about 5-6k- and you can buy a nice turbo for 6-7 w/ mods- and yours is still stock. If i was going to put 12k into anything w/ a turbo, i would start w/ a turbo....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

That's just crazy talk to dump a bunch of money into an N/A.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:59 AM
marcone
6th Gear

I guess my project would have been a little different... I was starting with an S base... Much stronger and Much more power to start with. Same material rods as the turbo. tranny is actually stronger.

As far as Resleeving and new pistons... theres a place in Ny that does it... for the price above. I've just searched my emails and receipts and cannot find their contacts at the moment... thats a little dis-concerning.. but thats another story..

They turbo cars ALL THE TIME... and cheaply.. they have all the things you would need to make a race car as well... if you go that far.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own both a 951 and a supercharged 944.

It can be done fairly inexpensively actually. My s/c car only has a little over 2k in the whole car including purchase and new tires cheap ones)

If the 951 is set to stock boost levels the 944 kills it. It even beats it a high boost levels b/c of the immediate boost.

I however am going to use the 951 for the top dog car, for various reasons mentioned. That doesn't mean that the 944 can't survive. I have ran mine for a couple of years now running at 10-12 psi this last year.

If you want to do something, it can be done with enough research, time and elbow grease.

Sid ( I am usually on pelican) this forum is great though I may just signup
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I own both a 951 and a supercharged 944.

It can be done fairly inexpensively actually. My s/c car only has a little over 2k in the whole car including purchase and new tires cheap ones)

If the 951 is set to stock boost levels the 944 kills it. It even beats it a high boost levels b/c of the immediate boost.

I however am going to use the 951 for the top dog car, for various reasons mentioned. That doesn't mean that the 944 can't survive. I have ran mine for a couple of years now running at 10-12 psi this last year.

If you want to do something, it can be done with enough research, time and elbow grease.

Sid ( I am usually on pelican) this forum is great though I may just signup
and what supercharger are you using/ is it readily available?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Same material rods as the turbo. tranny is actually stronger.
Are you saying that the trans in the S is stronger than the 951 trans? If you could elaborate that would be great, thanks~
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its amazing the answers I see here. PLEASE SOMEONE COMMENT ONLY IF THEY HAVE DONE IT OR KNOW HOW IT COULD BE DONE. I know how it could be done and I can definitely tell you it will cost you MORE and spend LOTS MORE time to turbo the n/a TO GET THE SAME OVERALL PERFORMANCE AS A 951. I bought my last 86 951 fitted with 993 wheels and a very straight body/ok interior for $3500 and I drove it home. You turbo your n/a for $3500 including the car and I will race you for pinks.

Quick Reply: Turbo an N/A???