Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 944 really be that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
Lord Helmet it sounds like you and I are birds of a feather (something tells me there's a whole set of people on this board who have no idea what you just indicated there). I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on your new 951, disappointments, thrills, etc.

To all: I've gotten the impression over the last couple of weeks that the 944 will cost just as much to maintain or repair as the 911, is this wrong?
how many ******** we got on this ship?

To address 944 vs 911. I think 911 parts are more spendy than 944 parts, but I could be wrong. Some of the basic 944 parts are interchangeable with VW and Audi.

Otherwise, consider you have two less cylinders to pay for

After a week, here's my impressions:

This car is LOW. Maybe the S2K is low too, but it took me several tries to get out without looking like a fool. Trick is, open door, turn with feet out and flat on the ground, pull up on door or b-pillar. This was a big change for me coming from a Wrangler with 3" lift. I like it. It just feels fast.

The car gets very good gas mileage as long as you aren't constantly pegging the boost. Believe me, that's like not licking a melting ice cream cone, so expect mileage will be around 20 as opposed to near 30 if you drove like a granny.

The interior is one of the best designed interiors I've ever seen. I used to travel a lot and rented cars all the time. Mostly, they were Toyotas or Fords. Absolutely hate Toyota interiors. Like driving around in a surgery room. In the 951, you lay your right arm on the console and your hand naturally lands on the shifter. There's no fighting the layout. You could probably be led, blindfolded into the car, and find everything. Only problems I had was a broken armrest (replacement assemblies are cheap minus the padding) and some seat rash. Also, like on the VWs, the seat levers that tilt the seat forward can break off. I replaced those and have spares.

I have not had to do any maintenance yet, but I'm already preparing for it. I'm taking all the warnings about this seriously. Especially the timing belt. Presently, my car runs flawless. When I picked it up, it started on half a crank and after 1000 miles in 5 days, it still starts that way. My engine compartment is clean as a whistle. Unbelievably clean, as a matter of fact. I love turning wrenches and I have no problem doing as much work as I can. Short of some sort of major rebuild, I should be able to do most.

Other than the engine, my impression regarding the drivetrain is that it's bulletproof.

The body has normal wear. Road rash along the nose and rocker panels. Some fading of black trim pieces, scratched up valence under the nose, etc. Other than those minor things, the body is in very good condition.

Some of the electrical stuff is a bit iffy. My sunroof works about 80% of the time. The power mirrors work about 50% of the time. All my marker lights keep burning out (using the wrong bulb I think). Dash lighting is dim. This can be easily fixed I think by cleaning up behind the dash and adding fresh bulbs. I also think the grounding on these cars could be better. There are a lot of discusson about this in the forums. The cruise control lever snapped off undoubtedly due to its proximity to knees. It's part of the wiper cluster so the whole unit needs to be replaced. So far, that's the most expensive item I've had to buy ($80).

Other than that, I cannot say enough about how the car drives. It is unlike anything I've ever owned. I'm just a regular middle aged guy and this thing has taken me back 20 years...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
They do have unique design features

Granted I do take some of this with a grain of salt knowing that internet forums have much more "problem traffic" than "accolade traffic".
Yep, you don't see many people posting, "I changed my belts timely and check the tension as required, and my belts didn't break today!"
I take it from comments here noone thinks I will be satisfied for very long with a NA 944?
Depends on how much power you want. If you're happy with 150hp in a 2600 pound car, you'll be happy - I enjoy my well-maintained $4k eBay na.

You may want to look for an S2 as an alternative to the 951. Tom R has one of each for sale, but I think he's looking more for 11-12K, iirc. I only mention this in case no one knows about it
Originally Posted by RBed944
Dash lighting is dim. This can be easily fixed I think by cleaning up behind the dash and adding fresh bulbs.
You've covered that all very well
On the dash lighting, there's a writeup at clark's garage - remove existing reflective material, recover with something like aluminum foil, and add fresh bulbs (I think 3.3 volt is the max recommended) and clean the gauge grounds while you're in there. The gauge lights up from underneath, so you'll get a shadow of the needle at night.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so if i drive a 911 im doing well, but if im driving a 944turbo then im not?

everyone thinks i paid 50k for my 951- most think its brand new.

Last edited by xsboost90; 07-19-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I take it from comments here noone thinks I will be satisfied for very long with a NA 944?
Of course that is a question that each must ultimately answer for themselves.

However, an N/A 944 can be very satisfying too IMO. You do have to have the right expectations though. It was decently quick in its day (compared to contemporary ‘Vettes etc.) but really, it is nothing special now in the straightline speed realm.

However, the NA motor is pretty torquey throughout the rev range and is not THAT slow. The car is all about balance and nimbleness. Some people have made very fun-to-drive cars by taking an N/A and maximizing its strengths by reducing weight further (they are lighter than turbos to start with naturally) and upgrading the suspension (bushings, different springs, tighter ball joints etc.). Tifosiman is one member on here who has really done a nice job in that vein (he also added turbo bodywork to his car).

The best thing would be to drive one, but as you say, they are not common in your neck of the woods!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90

I absolutely didn't mean any offense, according to my wife (and a couple others) there's a large set of people that have no idea what a 944/951 even is but there is never ANY doubt what a 911 is. Not a huge factor for me as I've stated above. I'm not much on "status cars", I want the best fun car that I can have for my limited budget (keeping in my narrow parameters of course)
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/373951225.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Here are some good examples of nice 951s. They're both listers cars and I've watch the price slowly drop to where they are from $9K for the white one and $12k for the silver one. Its really sad that there isn't really a market for these cars and most people don't know what they are. I once said 951 to a guy that questioned me and he though I was an idiot for "making up" a porshe model.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

And I thought I was giving a Rennlister a 'discount' at $7k for a well maintained 300bhp 951.....
Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90

Love that! That just shows you how timeless the 951 design is. Really, compared to 95% of the crap coming out of the assembly lines these days, the 944 series is hands down as modern looking or even moreso.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i usually get the " what do you mean you cant afford ---- ? Your driving a brand new porsche!"

me--> "uh- its 21 years old."

universal reply---> "damn"
Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

I agree, I love the lines of the 951.

....Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes 944s are problematic but so are most 20+ year old cars. Most owners of other 20+ year old cars are not as **** as we are most of the time so you will get more rants on this board but with this much pain, most of us still drive the car so that tells you something. That something is similar to a high maintenance hot chick who performs very well when you want it unless she has a headache and thats when the maintenance comes in via dollars spent.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
DMB14
Racer

944s are great cars. I have an N/A, and no it's certainly not a rocket, but it's still damn fun to drive. Even though it's not a 911 it will still turn heads and draw some attention. The 944 is still a very good looking car, IMO. Also, people will have no idea that you only spent $7k on the car.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

To all: I've gotten the impression over the last couple of weeks that the 944 will cost just as much to maintain or repair as the 911, is this wrong?
Yes it is wrong. It wil cost more!

I've owned 5 944s, 3 S2s 1 951, and 1 NA. I enjoy them all. I enjoy my miata more because it is the most go kart like. I prefer my 208hp S2 to my ++- 300hp 951, but that may change after this weekend when I put the double adjustable konis in.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

A few tweaks on a turbo and the 951 could destroy your Z-car.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
A few tweaks on a turbo and the 951 could destroy your Z-car.
That would be awesome Don't get me wrong, the 350 is a great car, but it doesn't "need" me, and my wife drives it more than I do.

Tom, this thread has made me look for more S2 information. What about it is superior (in your opinion) to a 951? I've read of the torquier motor and upgrades to suspension and brakes but I though the 951 had most of those upgrades already?

Quick Reply: Can a 944 really be that bad?