Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing car..! Looks like it has had a well travel past and really has some character.

I would say if it was still in its prime, 10,000+ however today, probably 1/2 to 3/4 of that price would be fair.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ct_nz
50 grand, no way. That was not even in my sights.

Track cars and collector cars are two different animals.

cis is cool because it will automatically adjust to any engine displacement you change to. However you need to know what you are doing on the fuel distributor. very fine adjustments is all it takes or run way too rich or way to lean.

Did you view that pic ok?
yeah, I saw the pic thanks!

I am completely aware that collector and track cars are way different, but I just wanted to put that in here....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Cliff,

Thanks for posting the mag page, would love to read the rest if you can post it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice stuff!! Yes, very hard to price due to it's uniqueness. There's the GTS price point as mentioned, think that was for a Club Sport... GTR's definitely are more, though the old black IMSA car (Holbert car? Don't recall the #) didn't seem to sell at $65k IIRC. Baseline, a CGT should be in the $22-30k range depending on condition.

Since this one is based on a regular 931, not a 937, it's hard to argue that it's still even worth as much as a street CGT for collector value - in spite of the mods, sad to say. That said, I do think it should be able to clear 10-15k - think it's worth that much. I mean hell, $5k will get you a nice stock 931!!! If the cosmetics on my '82 DD were up to par with the mechanicals (which are 9/10ths), I wouldn't consider less than $6k for it.

I'd say the best place to sell it would be Pano, if you're (still?) a PCA member...
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by elzergone
Cliff, thank you so much for this thread; the pictures and stories are priceless!
+1

It's been great reading about this car... makes me miss my 924 with PO installed KKK turbo.

You are watching 1 mile down the course because you will be there in like 20 seconds. You don't even look out the sides because it is pure blur.
Yep, miss them days. I'm older now, with kids and a mortgage, so I drive at the speed limit on the public roads and don't track, but it's nice to remember
Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 AM
5speed300
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This amazing. Reading about this stuff is so interesting and neat. I love hearing about old racing stories and old racing cars, the ingenuity put into this thing is mind boggling. Your car needs to have someone take pictures of every square inch and then write a book about it!! I am thoroughly fascinated
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
elf89
Pro

This car needs a permanent website dedicated to it.

Thanks for sharing your pics and stories about this car. Sounds like you had a blast with it!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

This thing is

BAD

I love the valence/bumper mods.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Sorry for the delay in my posting. For some reason I stopped getting new reply messages and I thought there weren't any new replies.

Attached is the scan of the second and last page of the magazine article per multiple requests.

On the inside you can see a few things if you try. The steering wheel was removable like a NASCAR. I am 6" and needed to move the steering wheel back a bit anyway. You can see the round gizmo next to the ashtray. That was the adjustable boost. I had a boost gauge on the tach. All you needed was a few hard starts up the nearest hill to set it where you wanted. The square box on the side of the console was the timing retard/advance. The block box just above the console is the terratrip rally computer. Where the radio went was the intercom. I replaced one of the 3 top gauges on the console with an exhaust temp gauge to know if I was cooking the exhaust or turbo. The tubing is to the fire system.

You can't see it but there is a set of race pedals with the brake slightly bent to the right to help heel toe. On the track you would sometimes press both the brake and accelerator to keep the turbo spun up. Not exactly the best for brake pad life but good for maybe 2/10'ths of a second.

Did I forget to mention there was nitrogen in the tires? It has no oxygen so the tire pressure didn't change when the tires heated up. You would start a race and be near freezing and 100 degrees on the finish line. You really pumped up the tire pressure for high speed running and needed something to be constant.

Ok so I didn't mention the GTS racing transmission, the 3 inch stainless borla exhaust, the cat pipe, upgraded steering rack, braided stainless brake lines. The mahle pistons and ceramic coated pistons were in the old engine. I still have the extrude honed head.

I have a guy in lost wages that looks interested at 18k. I guess I will let it go.

I appreciate everyones feedback. It brought back a lot of old memories.

I can talk forever but this forum needs to get back to its main purpose. I will however leave you with a few scenes from the past.

Going 135mph during a race in the driving rain. Not just rain but pouring cats and dogs. On yeah and no windshield wipers (too much drag). You had to go that fast or you couldn't see. Thank god for rain-x.

Open road racing outside Ensenada, Mexico and not knowing if Pedro got the message the road was closed and there was a race on that day. You never knew what might be coming around the next blind turn. Can you say laaate apex. Trust me it did happen and it wasn't a joke.

Having a frozen open throttle body in a race because you pressed so hard on the accelerator. I sat the boost a bit low that day. Oops. The pressure relief valve got moved to inside the car next race.

Having a right rear tire blowout at 130mph during some pre run testing. I was lucky because I had slowed down just prior due to seeing a "dust level" at the base in the center of the road of the hill I was going down. I didn't want to be pushed off the road or the car to be unsettled. What ever you do don't hit the brakes. Just let it takes it time and try to keep it on the road. I have to admit I did have a wet streak down my back after that. I didn't see my life flash in front of me as I didn't have time. I was too busy. Thank you race training 101.

You would never believe one of my best go fast mods. My roll cage. To this day I feel naked without a roll cage and 5 point harness. I bet I am not alone on that one.

Guys I really appreciate the commentary and feedback. Glad you enjoyed my reminiscing the good old times of race years past. I have been around the globe 18 times (on 18 tickets) but have to say my time in the seat during a single race tops that. I spent a ton of money but I have some great memories at least until Alzheimer's sets in. It was fun, it was an adrenaline rush, it was dangerous, and people did get killed doing it. You smelled the roses a bit deeper then.

With this I leave you but one piece of wisdom. Get your *** off the couch and get on the track while you can!

To the racers of the group I say keep the wheel side down.

Regards

Cliff Thompson
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Formally of Las Vegas (PCA LV region); Reno, Nevada; Springfield, Ohio; Woodbridge, New Jersey; Memphis, Tennessee; Sydney, Australia; and more hotel rooms all around the USA and globe than you can shake a stick at.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:34 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elf89
This car needs a permanent website dedicated to it.

Thanks for sharing your pics and stories about this car. Sounds like you had a blast with it!
I am just one of many. There are many more deserving than my car.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Very nice stuff!! Yes, very hard to price due to it's uniqueness. There's the GTS price point as mentioned, think that was for a Club Sport... GTR's definitely are more, though the old black IMSA car (Holbert car? Don't recall the #) didn't seem to sell at $65k IIRC. Baseline, a CGT should be in the $22-30k range depending on condition.

Since this one is based on a regular 931, not a 937, it's hard to argue that it's still even worth as much as a street CGT for collector value - in spite of the mods, sad to say. That said, I do think it should be able to clear 10-15k - think it's worth that much. I mean hell, $5k will get you a nice stock 931!!! If the cosmetics on my '82 DD were up to par with the mechanicals (which are 9/10ths), I wouldn't consider less than $6k for it.

I'd say the best place to sell it would be Pano, if you're (still?) a PCA member...
No I am not a pca member since I moved to NZ. Thanks for the feedback.

If you know what a 937 is then you know your 924 history very well. Most people would say "937, a what?".

For those not familiar with 924 history a 937 is a 924 Carrera GT.

Last edited by ct_nz; 07-03-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lemming
Cliff,

Thanks for posting the mag page, would love to read the rest if you can post it.
You want it Lemming, you got it.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elzergone
Cliff, thank you so much for this thread; the pictures and stories are priceless!

If its not too much trouble, I'd love to see scans of the rest of that Eurosport article on your car!
Done, You and Lemming both requested it.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:01 AM
first500
Intermediate

WOW, I love this thread. reading your thread lets me remember my Grandfather that was a big time drag racer in the 60's-70's and I would love to hear the stories he would tell me. He always had a car that was amazing, even untill he died at the age of 87 he still had a project car. If it wasnt a 89 Taurus station wagon that looked almost stock untill you looked under the hood and found a 347/aod/shortened 9" and all the rollcage/chassis that allowed for it to be RWD. It would be a crown vic with a 460 shoehorned in. I still have his 68 stang that he built custom while working on the ford assmebly line, it still only has 24K miles on it!
Thank you for sharing a part of Porsche history and reminding me to reminisce my own families racing legend.
Jeremy Hughes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Cliff, even more motivation for working on my 924S? I've torn into my first transmission this past weekend, cool stuff: now I just need a machine shop in my basement.

Quick Reply: 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?