Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemming

Maybe these additional photos will help a little more on the under tray.

A large part of my car is fiberglass. Fenders, hood, and rear quarter panels. The rears are 924gt carrera panels molded in to be smooth (no drag).

931f and 931g give you a closer look underneath. Close fit and airflow are important.

931h and 931i give a view of the snout. The original car the casting was taken from had 11 inch front wheels so the sides had to be trimmed/refitted to fit standard 944 fenders.

Nice touch on the recessed hood badge don't you think? The factory used decals.

The top hood scoop forced air through the GT intercooler. Rare as hounds teeth those suckers.

It you look at the lower center hole on the snout you will see some of the duct work. Some was forced to the turrbo charger intake side, The exhaust manifold was ceramic coated so wasn't concerned about boost loss from cool air. Also the pipes were ceramic tape coated. This was the best technology you could buy at the time.

The top 4 front holes. 3 to the top the radiator (your hottest point) and then trough it. Took 1 port and ducted to a k&N round air intake.

The whole nose you could take off in a minute to get at things if you needed to. It came from racing so you could quickly replace a damaged nose in seconds during a pit stop.

There is a tiny plug you can't maybe see in the photos. It is for a towbar to be screwed in and just like a 928. Racing is great but there has to be a practical side as well.

On the undertray. it is only good for high speed stuff. It won't do much on a twisty track. You can see I had a rubber skirt. I added little fingers to hold it down otherwise the wind pushed it back. Sometime I would hit something (like a quarter or dime) and would simply bend them back in place.

For it to really help you must deflect the air from getting underneath you. If you don't it acts like an airfoil and you can get lift. Bad, very bad. If you can deflect the air you get a vacuum effect from the rest of the car. This helps hold the car down like down force but different. You get vacuum/suction and elimination of drag and buffeting.

Use your ducting to put cool air where you want and need it. Don't just let it free flow. You need to size you primary inlet as to what you need. Too big is excess drag. Too little and it overheats. Then give it a smooth place to exit the engine compartment towards the back (not the sides) of the car. Then do something creative on the tail to eliminate the vortex created behind the car. I had the exit from my rear end oil cooler from the air ducts in the rear windows. If you don't you get a tornado effect in essence pulling the car back. You can even do something like the 951 rear lower valence/spoiler.

On the last photo you will notice an indentation on the side. This is where you would slide the plastic cover into place. You would screw it on the end to hold it in place. Simple, cheap, and very light.

There may be new knowledge or technology on this area. This is what we did way back when.

I hope this help you.
Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 944kid
Cliff,

Your story is amazing, and I'm in awe looking at the history on these two pages! Keep it coming, I know I'm not the only one when I say that you could bring a lot of good information to the table.

Regards,
Thanks. A lot of what I am posting is about the old Porsche 924gtr cars. It is Porsche history that might otherwise be lost.

The titanium valves were created because the 924 gtr had a propensity to burn the exhaust values during the 24 hours of LeMans. It was to the extremes.

Steel melts at 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. Titanium melts at 3034 degrees. Hard as diamonds and lighter than aluminum. That is why they use it in the space shuttle.

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-27-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by Airflite40
Your car looks amazing! So its just sitting in a warehouse for the last 10 years?
Yep. In a garage in Las Vegas, Nevada. I loaned a guy some money to build a garage so he could work on cars from home. The deal was I get free storage until repaid. He has been more than a little slow in repayment but in turn I have managed to store the car inside with no additional cost. it wasn't the plan but that is how it worked out. He was my mechanic and knows the complete history of the car including all the wild stuff.

I am sure I not the only one to have ever done this. Often it is a project car and not a ready to race car.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

If anyone is really interested in buying the car (no tire kickers please) and will be in the Lost Wages area. Pop me an e-mail and I can help schedule a look for you.

You can most likely pick up a real deal but has to be a good home. Porschephile race fanatic is a plus. It sounds like I am treating it like a pet animal but in some ways it is. it is more emotional than financial.

You don't hook a race horse to a wagon and you don't turn race cars into garage queens. It just isn't right. I appologize for this post and it may get deleted but I didn't start this post as an ad, honest i didn't.

I think we got way off track from my original post.

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-27-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

DAm if i only lived in the west coast
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

16lbs of boost. wow. You do realize you are driving a hand grenade. lol.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

www.924board.org

those guys will be all over it!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ct_nz
I apologize for all my reminiscing of days gone by.
No, No, NO!

Thank you for posting especially the pics and history.

The sheer awesomeness of the car and the history has me near tears...

Last edited by alordofchaos; 06-28-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

CT - thanks for the info and photos. Do you have any photos of the rear of the car? Also, are you saying that you had naca ducts in the rear side windows and then vented that through the rear floor to an oil cooler? Or did you have the air going through the cooler and then up and out a rear window vent?

Although my car is being built for track purposes, one day I would really like to head out to NV and run the Silverstate classic
Old 06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lemming
CT - thanks for the info and photos. Do you have any photos of the rear of the car? Also, are you saying that you had naca ducts in the rear side windows and then vented that through the rear floor to an oil cooler? Or did you have the air going through the cooler and then up and out a rear window vent?

Although my car is being built for track purposes, one day I would really like to head out to NV and run the Silverstate classic
Lemming

Sorry I don't have any tail shots. Yes it has plastic naca ducts in the rear windows with hoses that lead the air intake to a box or closed off section in the tail where the dry sump oil tank, oil filter, and oil cooler are. The oil cooler is mounted inside where the rear license plate would normally be. The dry sump oil tower sits in the spare tire well. It doesn't go through the floor.

There is an oil hoses that leads under the car kind of like a 911 from the sump up front to the tail. The oil pump will pump zero weight oil and is high volume low pressure so it doesn't heat the oil. Maybe common now but was hot stuff 10+ years ago. A tall tank allows less foaming plus it is kinda tight back there. I think it is an 8 quart tank plus what is in the line. In Nevada and Mexico it could get very warm so you needed to keep that monster cooled down. It also help remove some front weight and move it to the tail. By no means a 50/50 but did move some weight and heat.

The photos don't show the naca ducts as they went in with the new motor.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Perfect. I just blew my 951 tranny oil cooler. I'm replacing that tranny with one from an S2 (shorter gearing for the track). The S2 tranny does not have an oil cooler, but I have been thinking of adding a home made one using a "sandwich-plate" radiator style cooler. I like the idea of putting it in the license plate area and cooling from side window NACA ducts
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lemming
Perfect. I just blew my 951 tranny oil cooler. I'm replacing that tranny with one from an S2 (shorter gearing for the track). The S2 tranny does not have an oil cooler, but I have been thinking of adding a home made one using a "sandwich-plate" radiator style cooler. I like the idea of putting it in the license plate area and cooling from side window NACA ducts
Lemming

I didn't think that any of the stuff we did 10+ years ago had any application today and was outdated. I thought things had moved so far forward. I guess what we did still works today. Kewl.

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-28-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

got any more pics??? i would love to see some...
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Airflite40
got any more pics??? i would love to see some...
Always, gimme, gimme. lol.

Let me see what I can dig up. Anything particular you want to see if I can find some?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ct_nz
Always, gimme, gimme. lol.

Let me see what I can dig up. Anything particular you want to see if I can find some?
Engine bay!

Quick Reply: 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?