Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
Awesome! Those lights and front end look sweet!

I had been thinking of making my own sheet plate for an underbody gaurd, though not to that extent.
That is how the factory did the lights on the 924 race cars. The lights are the actual ones used in racing. My god you can see a mile away. No joke. There is thin plastic cover that was cut by hand and fit in a slot. One rock and they would crack. They weighed nothing but were easy to replace. A little history for ya.

Also on those lights you couldn't use the standard fuse box. Too much amperage. I had to add a separate fuse direct from the battery just for those lights.

The actual race cars used the fixed headlights as well. The clear fixed plastic headlights you may have seen before. They were light and looked cool but for night driving they left a LOT to be desired. You only got half a headlight. The lowers gave off more light.

When I was pushing 160mph with a 1980cc motor every big of drag was a big deal. When you hit around 100mph the drag begins to square. Reducing drag can get you more than adding hp's. It takes a while to get there though.

Wow. the memories are flowing now. I apologize for all my reminiscing of days gone by.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Fantastic car I'm more that willing to race it, even 15 years later
Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

If no one will buy them for use in an engine, you should make some custom wine glasses and use them for the bases.
I couldn't. The guilt would be too much for me. I would look at those valves and know where they really belong. It would be like a kid smiling up at you wanting something and you just melt.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by schwank
Sicko car! Get that bad boy back out on the road/track!
schwank

I am getting on in years now. My reactions aren't what they were. They faster you go they better they need to be. I couldn't even race at 7 10th's today much less 10 10th's.

I would suffer either brain fade or a heart attack on the first turn in point. Either would result in the same thing. However....... not a bad way to go... Hmmm... Let me ponder this further.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lemming
Fantastic car I'm more that willing to race it, even 15 years later
Lemming

Looks like you have a sweet ride as well.Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ct_nz
Lemming

Looks like you have a sweet ride as well.Thanks for the comments.
I agree on the aerodynamics, my new setup doesn't use external mirrors

I like the undertray, I may have to borrow that design. After my last NASA TT in October, the car is going under the knife to be turned into a GTR at sub 2200lbs.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

The car sounds awesome. Have you been able to get it out of storage at all in the 10yrs since you've moved? That sounds like one of those cars that you should pay someone to drive for you because it doesn't deserve to sit in storage. Let me be the first to offer to drive it for you.
No, the new motor wasn't really even broken in. I was slowly seating it in raising the rpm's each drive when I moved here 10 years ago. The storage isn't costing me anything. Long story.

My mechanic has offered but not sure I want get it bent into a different shape. Commercially it isn't worth much but I have to agree it is not fair to the car. It served me well and deserves better than to just sit. It is a Porsche and was built to race, not to sit in the stall.

Maybe my post wasn't such a good idea after all. I have opened Pandora's box I think.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Very very cool.

Don't worry, there's plenty of '24s out there, even 931's! I'm a hoarder, actually have two running street cars... one will eventually be evolving closer to yours, perhaps minus the stroker kit (since it'd be easier to drop in a 3.0L!).

We're all hiding out over at www.924board.org and a good portion of our guys are Down Under - you should get in touch! Actually, the board itself is based in Oz... and John H (in NZ) might very well be able to use those valves in his racecar, as much as I'd love to have them myself! LOL

Here's a pic of John's car:
Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ct_nz
Maybe my post wasn't such a good idea after all. I have opened Pandora's box I think.
LOL... you don't know the half of it!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to get rid of the whole car, you know us lister's want to know about it first!

I'm sure we could give her the flogging she's been lacking!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.. Amazing vehicle.

Not many around here (rennlist) that post anyway, who have that kind of built machine.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Wow.. Amazing vehicle.

Not many around here (rennlist) that post anyway, who have that kind of built machine.

Tis' true. Most people have more brains than me. lol.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Very very cool.

Don't worry, there's plenty of '24s out there, even 931's! I'm a hoarder, actually have two running street cars... one will eventually be evolving closer to yours, perhaps minus the stroker kit (since it'd be easier to drop in a 3.0L!).

We're all hiding out over at www.924board.org and a good portion of our guys are Down Under - you should get in touch! Actually, the board itself is based in Oz... and John H (in NZ) might very well be able to use those valves in his racecar, as much as I'd love to have them myself! LOL

Here's a pic of John's car:
Thanks for the reply. The crank would be almost impossible to develop today. It was a pure piece of beauty. I can't find the pics. I had to mill the block for it to clear. It has a himilaya cam shaft.

Will maybe contact John H.

Real sweet ride you have there.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Your car looks amazing! So its just sitting in a warehouse for the last 10 years?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
944kid
Banned

Cliff,

Your story is amazing, and I'm in awe looking at the history on these two pages! Keep it coming, I know I'm not the only one when I say that you could bring a lot of good information to the table.

Regards,

Quick Reply: 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?