Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes dont work!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes dont work!

Ok heres the deal, I had to replace all the lines under the intake the other day. They were all heavily cracked and the car wouldnt idle because of it.

I replaced all the lines under there with hose I got at autozone. I got it all back togeather and everything seemed to be running nicely except it idled about 500rpm so it would almost die. So I Adjusted the idle spped to about 850rpm when. I went for a little drive just to make shure everything was running properly, and found that when the engine warmed up the idle speed was around 1400rpm.

At about the 20 mile mark on my little drive, the brakes stopped working. Yes, it did scare the hell out of me. They actually did work but the pedal was very stiff. I used the search to help me and I did the test where you hold the brake and then start the engine and if nothing changes then its the big vacume line going to the booster. This is what happened.

The only problem Is I cant find any vaccume leaks. I am wondering if it has something to do with this Y shaped thing that the booster line is hooked to.

heres a couple pics:

Thanks for any Help
-Dan
Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Both the idle problem and the brake problem will be solved when you reconnect the vacuum line to the power booster.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:48 PM
hpservertech
Pro

follow that hose to the booster. there should be a check valve. That check valve also has a vacuum hose connection on it. that hose or where it goes could of come off.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:54 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Ok the small vacume line is hooked up to the booster. I followed it into the battery area where I cant see it anymore.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 PM
hpservertech
Pro

dont know if it has anything to do with the brakes, but did you re-connect the hose that is underneath the intake close to the back?

The vacuum line on the break booster goes to the vacuum canister behind the battery area. can't get any pics at the moment but can take some in the morning for you if you want. I redid all my vacuum lines. I have the same year car. That hose though to the brake booster though doesn't look right. should be a straight hose to it. yours looks like it has something inline there.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Could you shoot a pic of the power booster and the little black round thing that is off to the top left of it?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhere you've got a vacuum leak. I'm not spotting in your pictures, but that's what's giving you the problems. Check all your connections a few times and I'm sure you'll find it. I'm guessing that you probably inadvertently routed a line wrong, and in the course of your drive it slipped loose (maybe not even visibly, but just a small leak), and thus the sudden loss.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hpservertech
dont know if it has anything to do with the brakes, but did you re-connect the hose that is underneath the intake close to the back?

The vacuum line on the break booster goes to the vacuum canister behind the battery area. can't get any pics at the moment but can take some in the morning for you if you want. I redid all my vacuum lines. I have the same year car. That hose though to the brake booster though doesn't look right. should be a straight hose to it. yours looks like it has something inline there.
Yes
and
Its just a coupler, I made a new hose out of a ushaped hose and a straight peice.

Could you shoot a pic of the power booster and the little black round thing that is off to the top left of it?
like this?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:24 PM
hpservertech
Pro

yea you have a disconnected hose somewhere. I would start tracing all of them to see if one is loose.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

From what I'm seeing, it appears as though the vacuum lines AT the power booster are connected. Make sure that the large hose that runs off the bottom right (as you look at it) is connected at the other end.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:58 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

So is it 100% that this is coming from a bad vacume? I just cant seem to find anything wrong with the hoses.could it be anything else?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Ok I found the problem. There was an obstruction in the grey y shaped thing that was blocking the vacume to the booster.
Thanks for all the help everyone who responded.

Also, What is the y shaped thing in the first pic? What does it do?

-Dan
Old 06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's your venturi... donno what it does, except be a pain in the ***... but it's good at that...
Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, since you figured out your problem I'm going to jack your thread just a bit....

In that picture I have that little blue valve, but mine is just hanging there and capped off.... And there is no place on the booster to connect it.

My car is an 86 n/a. Should my little blue valve not be connected at all?

I just looked at parts on 944 online and the brake booster check valve for a turbo had no port for a front vacuum line, but a n/a one does.

Looks like my PO put on a wrong check valve... I guess he thought a turbo one would be cooler???
IDK ....
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 PM
hpservertech
Pro

That should go to the vacuum canister behind the battery. Actually it goes to a T that also goes through the firewall into the inside of the car.

Quick Reply: Brakes dont work!