Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Lady...watch the... DOOR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Angry Hey Lady...watch the... DOOR! - Update

I took my wife down to the airport this morning. Pulled into a parking spot at the droppoff location.

A taxi pulled into the spot next to us as I'm taking the bags out of the hatch.

A lady in the backseat looks at me. We make eye contact. She starts to open her door, at first cautiously, and I say "Watch the door please" to her as she's still looking directly at me...and then WHAMMO! she flings the door open.

"WATCH THE DOOR, LADY!" I start screaming.
The taxi driver starts askign me "Did she hit, did she hit?" as my wife is apologizing to the taxi driver and I'm saying "OF COURSE SHE HIT!"

And the lady never even said a word to me, despite the bright YELLOW spot she's left on the side of my car, which she looked directly at.

I come home, call Yellow Cab, and tell them they're going to take care of the incident I've had with Car #414.
Off to the body shop. Screw a detailer. They're gunna pay for this one.

Next time, don't park so close!

The picture:

Last edited by WolfeMacleod; 06-19-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Gremlin85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH.

I hate people.

I dunno if its just the picture, but it looks like a good buffing could get that out. But the way you explain it, sounds like the yellow paint is embeded into yours. Any other damage? (dents?).
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

wolfe,

That sucks. Take it to Queen City Auto Rebuild. If Yellow Cab is going to pay for it. Wht not take it to the most expensive Body Shop in the Greater Seattle area! Tell Steve and them I say Hi

Brandon J
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
wolfe,

That sucks. Take it to Queen City Auto Rebuild. If Yellow Cab is going to pay for it. Wht not take it to the most expensive Body Shop in the Greater Seattle area! Tell Steve and them I say Hi

Brandon J
Because yellow cab wont pay for the most expensive shop.

My ex's dad owned a "black car". One day he got hit in the fender. The next day he made a few phone calls and took it to a shop that specializes in livery. They took a green fender off a lincoln they had, shot it black and put it on.

The job was sub par at best. He told me he didnt care. Every hour in the shop is an hour he is not making money.

He also rattled off the names and locations of other shops that they used.

Moral: Yellow cab knows the expensive places, and knows the cheap places. They will offer to pay for it to be fixed at one of their places or invite Wolfe to sue.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
brakinglate
Racer

exact same thing just happened to me, only theirs a small dent as well as a deep chip.

Im furious, and so Im stuck with paying to have it done, if I claim it (the owner of car drove off) Im sure my insurance will get a hike sometime on renewal.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

If it's just paint transfer you should reconsider using a detailer instead of a body shop. A really good detailer will get rid of the transfer and you'll never know it happened.

Use body shops for body damage, not paint transfer.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Id agree on using a detailer for that...looks like it would come off.

Situation sucks though, I hate people like that. Good luck with everything.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by sracer
wolfe,

Brandon J
Oh, I did! Just got back!
$852 and change.

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Because yellow cab wont pay for the most expensive shop.
....They will offer to pay for it to be fixed at one of their places or invite Wolfe to sue.
At which point, I will come down on them like a ton of bricks.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

If something like that comes into my shop and I can remove it with compound I do just that at no charge. Some shops will repaint the panel whether it needs it or not. I get lots of repeat customers this way.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Oh, I did! Just got back!
$852 and change.

At which point, I will come down on them like a ton of bricks.
if you get $852 from a taxi company for that I will salute you!!!

I think you are going to get a door slammed in your face. Not that I wouldnt be more than $852 pissed, but the reality is your $4000 car got a ding that decreases the value by about $2, and you want $852.

If you came in with something like $250 they may offer $150 for nuisance to get rid of you. With a first demand of $852 i think they are going to at you and tell you to file a police report and file it with their insurance company. Then you get to deal with the insurance adjuster. I bet he will at you and you will trying to convince him he should pay $852.

Again, I do hope you get the $$.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
If something like that comes into my shop and I can remove it with compound I do just that at no charge. Some shops will repaint the panel whether it needs it or not. I get lots of repeat customers this way.
Exactly. $30 in 3M compound will fix that and many other problems. My paintwork skill is two steps above that of a chimpanzee, and I've fixed problems like that before.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

I'd have banged HER into the door next. Then stuffed the body in the hatch and sped away.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't use 3M compound. Too aggressive for my taste. I used this http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimumpolish.html#poli on my wifes car to take off 3 spots of paint transfer by hand. They make more aggressive products as well but I doubt that you'd need more than hyper compound to get rid of that paint.

Make sure you polish after you take the paint off if you use a compound.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Well, here's the most recent on this matter.

After speaking with the insurance agnecy, I've gotten three estimates and faxed them to them. each between $800 and $1100.

Looks like they're going to cut me a check without even sending someone out, since the estimates don't vary hugely.
When I told him the first estimate amount, the guy was like "Oh, that's not too bad....go get another one please, and if it's close, no problemo"

Quick Reply: Hey Lady...watch the... DOOR!