Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Lady...watch the... DOOR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Honestly, if it's only paint transfer and not a dent, I wouldn't even consider having it resprayed. That sort of thing is just a complicated solution to a simple problem and could lead to issues down the road.

Is there a dent?

BB.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
To a degree i agree more with derick than i do you carbon. Things like youa re suggesting is why insurance adjusters and companies themselves are so ****. Last I checked it wasn't admirable to "hustle". Earn your money, don't take what you don't deserve.

Before this goess anymore OT.. He never said he was looking to pocket money.
So how much time and energy has he put into this? How long was he driving around to different shops, getting estimates, burning fuel, etc? At this point its not about making the car the same, its about being compensated for the whole mess he never should have been in.

I measure all things in how much time it will cost me. Especially if you work for yourself, you learn that time is, indeed, money.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
Washing won't do a thing. 3M Imperial compound will.
Another Imperial User?! The stuff is like gold. I use it on damn near everything. I used it to clean my fender wells in the engine bay and my rear valance. It'll take that off, I'm almost 100% sure. If it doesn't...I don't know what will.

Go to O'Reilly and ask them for 3M Imperial Microfinishing Compound. $22 bucks a quart, but the stuff is awesome!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
you wax your cars every 2 weeks? holy ****...LOL
Yeah, both of them. This 911 of mine now sports about 12 coats of P21S aplied over a two week period - with a claybar treatment before waxing and then between coats, and it's clayed once a week.
Think I'm **** about the 924S? The 911 pretty much gets a mild wash/cleaning after every time I drive it. I never put it away dirty.

We went on a group drive a few weeks ago when this happened...took me about six hours of washing to remove all the crud and bug guts

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Another Imperial User?! The stuff is like gold. I use it on damn near everything. I used it to clean my fender wells in the engine bay and my rear valance. It'll take that off, I'm almost 100% sure. If it doesn't...I don't know what will.

Go to O'Reilly and ask them for 3M Imperial Microfinishing Compound. $22 bucks a quart, but the stuff is awesome!
And if he can spend 6 hours washing bugs off of a 911, I know he can do a good job fixing the paint on the 924S. Not worth having a heart attack over it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have kicked her luggage over.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
959Lover
Racer

Stop whining like it's the end of the world. Just buff it out... I personally know people that have bought 944's for cheaper than your quote for that little paint transfer . Now, if it happened to the 911, then THAT'S something to whine about IMHO...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Well, here's the most recent on this matter.

After speaking with the insurance agnecy, I've gotten three estimates and faxed them to them. each between $800 and $1100.

Looks like they're going to cut me a check without even sending someone out, since the estimates don't vary hugely.
When I told him the first estimate amount, the guy was like "Oh, that's not too bad....go get another one please, and if it's close, no problemo"
I understand your frustration. I've had the same thing happen to me before. We are a special breed of enthusiasts who actually work on, and know something about, our own cars and protect them like our kids. Not trying to get on my soapbox here, but if everyone who got a minor paint scuff received a check for $1,100, you could replace that gas nozzle in your avatar, with an insurance company logo. I do some limited detailing, and in your pic it seems as if you have a superficial paint transfer. A body shop may not be in your best interest because they want to paint everything, which will technically lower your resale value. A prospective buyer may see this as damaged goods. Aside from some professional products not available to the public, a good over-the-counter product is Meguiar's Scratch-X. You could then follow this with any swirl remover (Meguiars or 3M are good). If there is any dent, I'd go to a paintless dent removal shop. This way you can still honestly claim that there was no body work done. Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be reimbursed for your time and troubles.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wolfe... In my years of experience in detailing, I think "clay-barring" the vehicle once a week is way too frequent. Despite what mfg. says it does cause minor scratches (sleeks) in the paint which add up over time. It has to because of the nature of the product. I've found that it has to be followed by a buffing--I use a random orbital buffer with a mild cleaner/polish or swirl remover. Might not be that noticable on white, but clay a black car and it looks like you've been attacked by a million spider webs. It is a good product used conservatively. P21S is a good "boutique" carnauba wax, best for light colors. Sounds like you know what you're doing, but the best way to "layer" P21S is by spraying distilled water in between coats with a spray bottle. Better known as the "spit-shine" technique. Little known secret is that P21S purchased at a paint/body supply shop or dealership will cost you around $40-45.
Exact same product, manufacturer, packaging,etc., but marketed under the name "S100" can be bought at your local Harley-Davidson for $14.95 !!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

You should make HER pay for the paint too.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
derickl
Intermediate

I am certain the Porsche Gods don't condone insurance fraud. That’s why you are driving around getting estimates, to commit fraud. You never seriously considered repainting the panel, only want to "hustle" some free money. In the end the Gods will collect the entire car. Please do keep us posted when it happens. I am dissapointed this type of behavior is so accepted in this forum. No wonder insurance rates are so expensive. Next time you help that Lady with her door and bag. Jerk.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Ahh, the person that has never done a bad thing ( I LOVE your type). Ever asked someone for a quarter when getting a candy bar and never payed them back? That's fraud, in a way. Ever take coins off the street? May not amount to much, but that's fraud.

Get real dude. He hasn't even committed to what he plans to do, so lay off. What's bull****, is if someone would have knicked the door like they did and ran. Let say he has 500 dollar deductable on the car, so now he's out 500 bucks for some chicks mistake. That's why you have to take the money off the street, not pay back the quarter you asked for for your candy bar, and collect the 830 bucks to paint the panel and fix it yourself. You have to break even. I cannot remember how many numerous times we havehad vehicles repainted due to someone elses fault, and then we have to pay the fu*kin deductable. Now ask me why I say take the 830 and fix it yourself.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derickl
I am certain the Porsche Gods don't condone insurance fraud. That’s why you are driving around getting estimates, to commit fraud. You never seriously considered repainting the panel, only want to "hustle" some free money. In the end the Gods will collect the entire car. Please do keep us posted when it happens. I am dissapointed this type of behavior is so accepted in this forum. No wonder insurance rates are so expensive. Next time you help that Lady with her door and bag. Jerk.
I'm still looking for any post where he says WHAT he intends to do, buff it or paint it. He hasn't said one way or the other but you are calling him a crook and a jerk. You must be one heck of a mind reader. Or maybe you are just an arrogant a$$.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah! Next time a lady that refuses to have any shred of common courtesy slams her door into yours and damages it, help her with her bags inside. While you're at it, you mind as well pay her for the bit of your paint on her door. You really ARE a jerk, Wolfe.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Quick Reply: Hey Lady...watch the... DOOR!