Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us your PO (Previous Owner) horror stories!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

That's kind of a cool car actually...is that a functional hood scoop?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My previous owner was a straight shooter. He gave me a good deal on my 968, he took care of the car, hid nothing, and left me no nasty surprises. He sent me the WSM which I haven't found anywhere else. The best part is, he called me a year after the sale to check up on me and the car. He should get a medal. The owner before him was a dealer manager, so it was well looked after.

The previous owner of my Merc 300TD was a reverend, and my friend's father, so the car had a holy warantee. The car was absolutely perfect and straight as an arrow. Best purchase I ever made.

But don't worry, I've had plenty of bad PO stories from my brother and his VWs.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my turbo was pretty nice besides...

had been hit-PO said "never" but it had and some hack did the panel fitment
window switches all falling out of doors- clips all broken.
ds power window would go up when pressed down-wires on backwards
mirrors didnt work-blown fuse
sunroof arm broken and plastic receiver broken-body shop didnt know how to remove roof
perfect interior w/ a steering wheel that looked like a dog chewed on it
Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my PO broke a sun visor clip and replaced it with a steel wire
you know the switches behind the gear shift? well he used the empty spaces to GLUE a fake alarm light there, he ran the wire along the console, under the dash inbetween the fender and the A pillar across the cowl pannel and straight to the battery
Old 05-19-2007, 10:05 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah. My list won't fit here.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 PM
drgon
Instructor

My PO made it a point to hit every curb possible in San Antonio. The air dam was all bent and broke, hanging down like a swollen lip. Looked horrible. Original fog lights broken.

" No problem at all thought he, ill go to wallmart."

He installed fog lights that hung inside the fog light bay and held them in with sheetrock screws. Ayi.

He also put in pwersteering fluid in the resivoir and completely destroyed the PSR seals.
Also decided it was ok to jack up the car by means of the rocker panel. Those are crunched up somewhat. Lets see what else. Oh he also put dual wiper blades on. Looked awfull and worked worse than awfull. Ash tray was packed with cig ashess so bad i had to get a flat head screwdriver to get it all broke loose!. Also had a 951 cooling fan installed which meant it was too tall, which meant tie wraps and screwing a screw halfway up the fan shroud to get it in the right hole.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

My car's PO:
- Broke the timing belt (5 valves bent)
- Abandoned the car for three years
- Broke the antenna off at the fender
- Cut (or had someone cut) the stock stereo harness up to put in a POS Pioneer head unit which he kept when I bought the car
- Cut up the rear wiper wiring in two places at the hatch but didn't remove it
- Removed wiring for the clock, rear wiper switch and ashtray light for some unknown reason
- Drove the car around with 3 different tire sizes

Blowing the timing belt may be the best thing to have happened to the car because otherwise it'd be in a junkyard for sure.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Some of these owners need a serious smack upside the head, man.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:01 AM
mark_uss
Racer

Default PO...mdf

mine puled out the thermostat.. put in the braking system some kind of liquid ..don`t now what is... oil filter to many years....deamm ..paited the car whit some crappy paint it was peeling off at high speed)) and so on...f..k the rest i`m the best...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:14 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Lots of hack wiring and some crapy body work and paint. I'm still working on both.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PO actually kept good car of mine. EXCEPT for the new paint job. He's a lawyer and I think he took the paint job in lieu of payment for getting some child molester off. The guy spent all of $2.50 and 5 minutes in masking the car off. The sunroof was painted over in place; the seal now matches the car. The guy had access to a "$30,000 paint mixing machine" and instead of Maraschino Red Metallic, it's some shade of Pinto reddish brown metallic!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
cyinisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
That's kind of a cool car actually...is that a functional hood scoop?
I don't know why that picture got posted to this threat...but yes, it's functional =].
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

P.O. had timing belt work done... when I got it the balance shafts were both 180 degrees out of phase... yeah, it runs much smoother now.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Curiously, my PO not only disconnected the O2 sensor, but went the extra mile by installing a Euro spec DME and exhaust system (no O2 bung on the header, silencer instead of catalytic conveter). Must have cost some $. The car sat for 3 years after the older gentleman original owner stopped driving it. It was then damaged when someone hit the outside of the garage it was stored in and knocked a bunch of stuff on top of it. He then sold it through an auto auction (his family is in the car biz in Pittsburgh) to the dealer I bought it from, who had the bodywork done before I got it. You've seen old cars advertised with the line "no stories" - my 944 is NOT one of those!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

After completely going thru my car I found 2 50lb sand bags in the rear fenders. I've imagined how many winters the car's seen since most of the separate steel parts under the car are showing a nasty layer of rust.

Quick Reply: Tell us your PO (Previous Owner) horror stories!