Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found an AWESOME shop in PA/NJ (This mechanic fell from heaven)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an AWESOME shop in PA/NJ (This mechanic fell from heaven)

A few weeks ago my car was leaking both coolant and oil very badly. I couldn't even drive it to my normal mechanic, (who never fixed the problem the last time I took it to him and I was fed up with him anyway). I was seriously thinking of doing the work myself (REAL bad idea) or selling the car. I figured I'd call some shops around me and see just how bad the estimates would be. Only ONE shop got back to me.

Street Solutions (215-962-1423) in Pineville, PA 18946, was that one shop. I had the car towed over there and talked with the owner and head mechanic, Jon Frey. He was real friendly and got to work right away on the car. Over the next couple days I would stop by his shop daily and hang out while he worked on the car. He was able to find the coolant leak (some oil cooler bushing/gasket and the waterpump) and the oil leaks (cam tower gasket and head gasket). He did excellent work and didn't mind me leaning over his shoulder and continually asking him questions.

Here's what he did:
- replaced waterpump, timining belt, balance belt, and rollers (and what ever else comes in the waterpump kit)
-resealed the top of the engine (replaced head gasket, cam tower gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, oil cooler gaskets, o-rings, and a bunch of other little stuff).

The two things that made this the best experience I've ever had with a mechanic (other than him solving all my problems in one shot, letting me hang out, etc) was that he let me buy all the parts I needed and bring them to him. I'm used to getting gouged on parts from other mechanics, but I was able to get most of the stuff I needed from 944Online.

But the best part? THE BILL HE GAVE ME WAS $390.17 for the labor, oil filter, coolant, and oil. This was my best experience, hands down, ever.

I would invite anyone remotely close to South Eastern PA or Southern NJ to give him a call next time they need a mechanic. I'd love for some other 'listers to have the same great experience I did.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Near Philly ?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Yeah, like 30 mins north. It's 10 minutes from me and I'm about 5 mins from jersey.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Pinevil...i=map&ct=title

Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 AM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that number missing a 0? Incredible!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:30 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Thats what I'm thinking as well. A headgasket for only $390 labor? What does he charge, $25 an hour?

But it sounds like an awesome shop, so congrats on the find! I wish places around here were that cheap...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I dunno...my mechanic is pretty nice as well.

She's a blonde, large-chested supermodel who went to stripper-school and prefers to wrench in the nude. And she does the work on my car for the small fee of a pina colada.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. Im definatly going to look into that place next time I need work (which shouldnt be long )
Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
A few weeks ago my car was leaking both coolant and oil very badly. I couldn't even drive it to my normal mechanic, (who never fixed the problem the last time I took it to him and I was fed up with him anyway). I was seriously thinking of doing the work myself (REAL bad idea) or selling the car. I figured I'd call some shops around me and see just how bad the estimates would be. Only ONE shop got back to me.

Street Solutions (215-962-1423) in Pineville, PA 18946, was that one shop. I had the car towed over there and talked with the owner and head mechanic, Jon Frey. He was real friendly and got to work right away on the car. Over the next couple days I would stop by his shop daily and hang out while he worked on the car. He was able to find the coolant leak (some oil cooler bushing/gasket and the waterpump) and the oil leaks (cam tower gasket and head gasket). He did excellent work and didn't mind me leaning over his shoulder and continually asking him questions.

Here's what he did:
- replaced waterpump, timining belt, balance belt, and rollers (and what ever else comes in the waterpump kit)
-resealed the top of the engine (replaced head gasket, cam tower gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, oil cooler gaskets, o-rings, and a bunch of other little stuff).

The two things that made this the best experience I've ever had with a mechanic (other than him solving all my problems in one shot, letting me hang out, etc) was that he let me buy all the parts I needed and bring them to him. I'm used to getting gouged on parts from other mechanics, but I was able to get most of the stuff I needed from 944Online.

But the best part? THE BILL HE GAVE ME WAS $390.17 for the labor, oil filter, coolant, and oil. This was my best experience, hands down, ever.

I would invite anyone remotely close to South Eastern PA or Southern NJ to give him a call next time they need a mechanic. I'd love for some other 'listers to have the same great experience I did.
Dude - c'mon.
Aren't you leaving out the 25'x25' 5 inch 3000 psi slab with 6x6 WWF over 6 mil poly that you did for him?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

I am ALWAYS trying to barter, but it never came to that.

Quick Reply: Found an AWESOME shop in PA/NJ (This mechanic fell from heaven)