Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S Crash pics of damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 924S Crash pics of damage

I crashed my 924S, see related thread.

I made it out to my mommies garage, to sort out the damaged parts and take pics.

First you can see my control arm, all pretzeled up.

The arm bent back and actually stopped when it hit the engine!

Thankfully there was no damage to the oil pan or related.

Then there is a pic of the rip in my fiberglass bumper.
I should be able to repair this right guys?
The damage to the bumper is limited to that rip.

Then you can see the strut, the top completely sheared off!

The mount in the engine bay is perfect...

And finally my mauled cookie wheel.

The tire is fine and still holding air, but the lip of the wheel is pretty mashed.

I am still looking for a 15x7 cookie wheel please!

Thankfully there was no damage to the steering rack, brake caliper, brake line, speedo cable, spindle, rotor, hub.

And oh yeah Chris, the sway bar is fine, the mount on the control arm sheared off, but the bar itself is good.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It almost looks like you can repair rim...do you know if the wheel is out of round? Its hard to tell for sure (esp at 2:30am) but it looks like it may just be surface damage to the lip, which can be fixed for a fairly small (1-200 dollars) amount of money. BUt then again, for that money, you might be able to just buy a new wheel and tire...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

I dont need a new tire as far as I can tell, just a new wheel. And its a cookie, so 1-200 isn't worth getting fixed.
Hopin someone on here will sell me one!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice sambas.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you already have the suspension parts you need? I have some parts off my S2 I just took apart. I have a-arms, shock assembly, spindle etc.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am surprised a hit hard enough to mangle the control arm like that did not damage the frame of the car. What do the mounting points for the rear of the control arm look like? How about the strut tower?

The bumper is fixable, i wouldnt sweat that.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Do you already have the suspension parts you need? I have some parts off my S2 I just took apart. I have a-arms, shock assembly, spindle etc.
Unfortunately none of that would work on his car.

I should be able to repair this right guys?
The fiberglass bumper should be cake to repair for anyone familiar with fiberglass work. You'll need a new tie rod, strut insert, and a-arm. The fender looks like toast too.

You should carefully check the upper strut mount/bearing, it is probably compromised. You'll also want to check the crossmember, rear a-arm mount, and spindle.

Of course you'll need an alignment after everything is said and done.

What did you hit?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/327213-please-help-crashed-my-924s-need-some-parts.html

thats the link to my original crash thread, I meant to put it in the post, but forgot.

Originally Posted by Lorax
Nice Sambas.
I knew somone would catch that

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Do you already have the suspension parts you need?
Yes I do, thank you, they are en route from a 'lister.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I am surprised a hit hard enough to mangle the control arm like that did not damage the frame of the car. What do the mounting points for the rear of the control arm look like? How about the strut tower?
The mounts for the control arm are fine, the bushings are a little torn, and one bolt was a little bent.
The strut tower is fine too. The strange thing is the strut at the top completely broke, it was not even bent.
It just broke.

The bumper repair I am going to attempt myself, so Jon since you repaired your Euro bumper or anyone that can offer some tips, I would appreciate it.
I am familiar with bodywork/bondo etc, but never done fiberglass.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY SCHNIKES!!!
You are lucky thats all the damage Borys.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a fiberglass repair kit from Pepboys or where ever and some type of spring clamp. Clamp the end of the crack in the fiberglass so that you can get it flush and level with the rest of the bumper. You may need two clamps, but you should be able to do it with one. Cut maybe 4 or 5 pieces of fiberglass mat to size, make them so they cover about 1 inch beyond the crack in all directions. I would start with a piece that covers everything but the area that is being covered by the clamp.

Next up, mix up the fiberglass resin. Figuring out how much hardener to add to the resin is kind of guess work..just look at the directions for that part. Mix it up, and using something like a foam brush cover the backside with the resin / hardener mix. Now dip the smaller piece of fiberglass mat you cut into the hardener, then lay it ontop of the cracked area (again the backside). Make sure your wearing gloves, then work out all the bubbles you can. Lay down two pieces of matting to cover that part and let the resin dry for about an hour. After that time you should be able to remove the clamp and the fiberglass should retain its shape. Mix up more resin and hardener and lay it down..then follow the same procedure as above. Lay down about 4 or 5 total layers of matting and let it dry. To fill in the front, i used a body filler with fiberglass mixed in (something like that) by Bondo. Pretty simple.

This is how i would do it..granted ive only repaired that section on my bumper, thats it. Someone with more experience in this area may want to correct me.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol for the sambas comment!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

It probably is a good thing that you had the steel control arms. The stiffer aluminum one may likely have transmitted more load (and consequent damage) to the frame rails. Overall looks pretty fixable!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:29 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am so bummed this fantastic project was derailed. Sounds like you got it on track though. Sounds like your're covered but I have hubs and spindles if you need off of my 83.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I think I am covered for now. The moment of truth will be when I put everything back together and see how it drives.
I really feel fortunate that the damage was so minimal, and that I have the time and money to fix it.
Yah the car is my daily, but I can make it for a couple weeks without it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta tell you that looking at that damage I think you need to really look closely at steering, mounting points for the control arm, everything that was connected to where your major damage was. Race cars taught me that if you clipped something on one side the damage will be all over not just localized. Control arms are not meant to be weak points and for only the control arm and the strut to be damaged would be beyond strange. I hope it turns out OK tho'.

Lanny

Quick Reply: 924S Crash pics of damage