Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tb/wp replacement without flywheel lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tb/wp replacement without flywheel lock?

How the hell do you guys do it? I'm unable to get the 24mm bolt off the end of the crackshaft so I can pull off the power steering pump belt pulley that is covering the 4 bolts holding on the balance shaft pulley. Not only do I not want to go through the process of feeding my new timing belt around the larger pulleys, the plastic belt cover thing is in the way of replacing the water pump, and it looks like I can only get that off by pulling all the pulleys on the crankshaft.

Now, I have a flywheel lock I can use, but unless I'm doing something wrong its being way to much work to get the lock in place. It goes in the starter hole, correct? If so, I'm unable to get the starter out because of the heatshield, and I'm unable to get the heatsheild out because of the crossover pipe, and I'm unable to get the crossover out because of the heatshield on the brake master cylinder as well as the bolts on the turbo being horribly rusted out. (damn 20yr old parts...)

I was looking at the haynes manual at first to figure out how to do this because it has pictures, but I quickly realized the car they were working on didn't have power steering so they were able to immediately pull the balance shaft pulley off and didn't have to deal with the power steering belt pulley.

Anyway, any suggestions as to how the hell you get the crossover out or the bolt holding on the crankshaft pulleys out (while not using the flywheel lock) would be much appreciated!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 PM
hderr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look here? http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, the starter heat shield holes are slotted on the side, so you only have to back out the bolts a few turns and it will pull off (the ones that hit the crossover pipe. Then pull the starter, put in the flywheel lock, and loosen the bolt.

You will need to remove the balance shaft sprokets which requires a special spanner tool as well.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally just pop the car into a low gear (1st or reverse) put a block behind and in front of the tires and pop the crank bolt with a breaker bar. I have a flywheel lock but I am way too lazy to use it and the method I stated works perfectly fine if your clutch is good.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, the starter heat shield holes are slotted on the side, so you only have to back out the bolts a few turns and it will pull off (the ones that hit the crossover pipe. Then pull the starter, put in the flywheel lock, and loosen the bolt.
I found that one out after like, an hour of wrestling with one of those 2 *** holes.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:59 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Does the heat shield around the brake master cylinder have the slotted holes as well? If so I must have been blinded by being so pissed off about it... lol.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I've got the car completely up on blocks, so the in-gear think won't work for me, so I'll try again at getting the starter off tomorrow. I have one of the spanner tools so I haven't had any problems with the rest of the pulleys.

Any hints for getting the crossover off? I was somewhat planning on pulling it anyway to either get it ceramic coated or wrap it, but I need to get it off before I figure that out.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you really want to go through the trouble of coating the crossover: To pull the crossover pipe you don't have to pull the brake booster heat shield, but that does make it easier. That shield is held on by 4 small nuts or bolts (10mm wrench). The bottom bolt that is backwards on the crossover pipe will give you the most trouble, but a curved 15mm wrench is perfect for it, and will give you pretty good turning room.

Going back together, just make sure you start all the bolts, but leave them very loose until all bolts are in their respective holes, then tighten down from there.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the 968 belt job without the flywheel lock. I had my bro work the 24mm bolt from the front, while I was under the car jamming a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth, keeping it from turning.

Just buy the tool or borrow it from someone. It's really easy to use.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Ok, I got the flywheel lock in, but how the hell do you get the 24mm bolt out? It isn't a reverse thread bolt, is it?

I've been using a prybar and a sledge and its not coming lose, and I've heated the whole bolt/pulley setup twice now (300F the first time, 400F the second) and that hasn't helped at all either. Is there something stupid I'm missing?

Pictures - the belt gaurd blocking access to the waterpump, the pulleys holding on the belt gaurd, the stupid bolt inside the power steering pulley.
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That bolt is super tight. 24mm deep socket and alot of leverage is all you need. Get a 6pt, the 12pt will probably slip. Get a long pipe and slip it over the breaker bar. Wear eye protection incase the breaker bar breaks (seriously).

When i took mine off it felt like i was shifting the entire motor on the mounts. I was able to do it with a 18 inch breaker bar.. a friends car required 24inch breaker bar extended another 6 inches with a pipe on the end.

Seriously, wear eye protection and heavy gloves when you do that because your going to put a huge amount of stress on the breaker bar, and if it breaks its going to probably shatter.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's standard thread...lefty loosy/righty tighty. I snapped 2 (craftsman and a snap on) 1/2 to 3/8 reducers trying to get mine off. I finally used a 1/2" drive 15/16ths socket on my 1/2" torque wrench (roughly 3' long) and it came off fine.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

K, thanks for the help. I'll see if I can get something to break it loose. When I reinstall the bolt, what does it get torqued to?

Oh, and is it possible to get the crank pulleys off without a pulley puller?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Use a breaker bar and slip a STRONG pipe that does NOT fit loosely and go at it.

Make sure when you reassemble it is torqued properly (155+lbs but dont take my word ..look it up) or you will have ****ty oil pressure
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I retorqued to 155 ft-lbs. My torque wrench only goes to 150ft-lbs. I did it to that max torque, then nudged it a little farther with the breaker bar.

Some people say you can get the gears off without a puller, but having done 4 belt jobs ive never had luck without using one. Take the radiator fans out if you havent already (6 bolts) and use a socket as stand off for the gear puller on the center of the crank.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pick up a cheapo gear puller set from harbor freight to pull the crank gear....comes off in 30 secs. A three pack of pullers cost me somewhere between 9-11 beans.

Quick Reply: tb/wp replacement without flywheel lock?