Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my 924S!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I love my 924S!

I may be preaching to the choir, but I have owned my 924S for almost exactly a month and couldn't be happier with it!

For a long time I drooled over pictures of 924 Carrera models, and thought it would be cool to build one.
I thought about looking for a 931 and starting from there, but my old 928 had K-Jet injection like the early 924's and it was a PITA.
Then I found the 924S, and bingo!
So what if it didn't have a turbo, it seemed like a better starting point.
With the 944 drivetrain, and 924 body, it was perfect for my tastes.

So I started to look for a 924S.
I came upon a craigslist ad for an 88 924S near Denver, CO.
From the poor description and 4 even worse pictures, it was a long shot.
But, the price was right.

Fast forward to this weekend, when I finally started fixing a lot of the little things wrong.

Then, I realized this car was not in as bad shape as I thought.
It seems like my 924S was well cared for most of its life. Only recently, maybe the PO I bought it from, it fell into neglect, where those little things went ignored.

Luckily the car escaped, and the first month of owning it has been awesome.

One things that never ceases to amaze me is how simple it is to work on.
Frustrating sometimes, but the design is simple.

Oh and one last thing,
you may be tired of hearing it but THANKS GEOFF!!!

here is a sneak peek at my Carrera GTS progress, I know its dark, but I just took these pics. The fenders and nose panel still need to be realigned, but the overall fit of the A.I.R. front bumper is pretty good!
Still hunting for the Euro driving lamps on ebay UK.
Oh and once everything is fitted, the car will be getting a full repaint so ignore the shades of white for now.
Hopefully I will have time this week to fit the rear flares.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is awesome. i'll be doing this same conversion on my 944S..... so i will be watching you closely.

Are the fenders AIR as well? where'd you get the nose panel? did it come with the vents?

will this be a track car? i'm just asking because i can see their is no passenger door panel.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jesse. The fenders are not A.I.R., but regular 944 fenders. This will mostly be a street car, and I sold my A.I.R. fenders to Lemming for his track car.
The door panel is out due to my other current thread, I am in the middle of adjusting the pass side door handle.
The nose panel I bought from user '81turbo' on 924board.org, it is a genuine 931 nose and it came with the vents.

well, maybe I'll track the car a little later, but for now just street....
Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

so you were pretty happy with the AIR front bumper? simple install? good fitment?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:36 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Overall, I am happy with the front bumper from A.I.R.

There are no mounting holes or anything, you have to drill them to attach it at the fenders. Right now it is attached at the fenders, and thats it.
There is a slight gap below the nose panel, but I think I can reduce it for a overall very good fit.

I am so paranoid though of people parking in front of me or someone cracking it.

The only modification I had to make to the bumper was in the curved part that meets the curved front part of the fender. I had to shave the bumper slightly with a dremel and cut off wheel to make the curves fit better.

As far as A.I.R. vs GT Racing, I have heard GT Racing panels are better.
I wanted to buy the GT Racing ones, but I lucked into an Ebay auction where a guy (coincidently named Jesse) from Green Bay, WI was selling the front bumper, fenders, rear flares, and rear bumper together, which I got for $700.
He thought they were GT Racing, and so did I, untill I found the A.I.R. stamp on every part!

I have talked to Hank @ GT Racing and he sounded like a great guy, really takes pride in his work.
I trust him more than the guy @ A.I.R., who I also called.

I called A.I.R. to ask if the could email me pics of their actual fiberglass parts, since their site only shows a reference picture of an actual Carrera GT.
The guy sounded really annoyed and said "Pictures, for what? I made them from the real parts, from my Carrera GT that I have owned since '81. Thats what they look like."
That made up my mind to buy from GT Racing, but I guess things happen for a reason.

The only GT Racing piece I will have is the hood scoop LOL. I got an A.I.R. rear spoiler off ebay too.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

funny, i have heard the exact opposite. most people say the GT-Racing is for RACE cars and not for street cars. I have had a GT-Racing fiberglass vented nose panel and Carbon Fiber....... the fiberglass wasn't made as nicely as the carbon fiber.

maybe i should check out ebay and see if i can get a deal. someone decided to hit my car and run.... that's why i decided i needed a new look. this is the look i'm going for, but i'll be doing the nose panel from the Hugo Boss 924 GT.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

If I had a choice now, I would buy the same A.I.R. front bumper since I know it fits well. I would suggest you do the same.
Their fenders however did not fit so well, and I would use stock 944 fenders unless you were really settled on saving every possible pound.
The A.I.R. fenders would fit, but it probably would take skills beyond my own, which I did not want. To fit the front bumper it took me like an hour. Really easy.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgporsche
i'll be doing the nose panel from the Hugo Boss 924 GT.
doesn't that have three vents, kind of offset to the driver's side? I can't seem to find a pic...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Do you have any 3/4 pics of the front of the car? I am going to either run the CGT bumper like the one you have, or convert to a turbo front... The 3/4 shot would help me decide.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Airflite40
doesn't that have three vents, kind of offset to the driver's side? I can't seem to find a pic...
yes that's the one.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

HOw hard was it to get the 931 nose pannel to fit? I have herd they can be a pia. I though about putting one on my 944 at one point but have not sone it yet.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

The 931 nose panel was almost a direct fit. I say almost since my car had two support pieces under the nose that i had to dremel a triangle off in order for it to fit due to the vents.

The pics below are for Jerry, I took them last night too.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh...

my...

god...

that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Borys, looks like it's coming along nicely! can't wait to see it finished!

and for the 5,000000th time, you're welcome
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM
porcho heat
Pro

Wow that looks very good... I think a nice black lip like the one Techno Duck had would look awesome on it (if it fits, since that seems to have the same basic shape as the N/A front valence)

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Hey Geoff I love that avatar

thanks everyone

Quick Reply: I love my 924S!