Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie.. need help.. with 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
elite001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie.. need help.. with 944

Hello guys,

I just bought myself a used 1985 944 in decent condition.

now the think is it doesnt have any radio/cd player when I bought it, now if I'm thinking to put a stereo at least the one that can play mp3cd, what things should I look for when I am in the market for this stereo sothat it will be compatible with my 944 and can be installed once I found a mechanic that can do it (or is it easy to install by ourselves? anybody can tell me the step by step perhaps?)

I am so sorry that I am really a newbie just trying to find a stereo that is compatible to my 944 sothat I will not waste my money to buy wrong stereo that cannot be install to my car later on. so what should I look for when I try to buy the car stereo in ebay/shop sothat it will be compatible?

thank you
so much
Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Crutchfields can give you choices for head units that fit - it's the door speakers that are tough - I used an Alpine 9856 head - search threads for speaker choices.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Basic stereo work/installs are easy...do it yourself.

I picked up some JBL's that fit the door(Vince is right, this is the tough fit). The rear speakers are lousy 4x6's. Some people tear into the sail panels and replace these, I decide to cut them out of the loop and just wired in a seperate 6x9 box in the hatch.

I have a Sony X-Plod head unit, which is nothing special, but it is loud with above average sound, no MP3 ability. Theses days you can pick up an Ipod/Mp3 unit for dirt cheap.

I recommend Alpine or Pioneer head units.

The door speakers are a bit limited, you have to search here, but like I said, some old JBL's off Ebay for $20 worked for me(and sounded better than the Infinity's that I had-which I ironically sold for more!).

If you decide to modify your stock sail panel speaker enclosures to fit 6x9's more power to you. Either way, pick up the best you can afford, again I recommend Alpine or another high quality brand. You can find a rear box for around $30. I will snap some pictures of my "setup" if you want to see how it all goes together, but no doubt the -search- feature will show you far more.

G/L
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

what is your location? if your near me i will help you install it. but if not, it is pretty easy to install just about any modern deck in a 944. i have 4x6 pioneer door speakers and polk 6.5" in the side panels.
i also built a custom box to fit in my spare tire area thats holds a 10" polk/momo sub. as well as an amp rack made from plexiglass in the driver side hatch area.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
swimmingly
Instructor

Dan,
Did you pull off the coverings for the side panels and install them back properly? If I remember correctly, it's pretty intense (somehow I think it requires removing the quarter windows?). Anyways, I've been wanting to replace mine but thought it was quite intimidating. Got any tips?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:43 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

well it wasnt as hard is i origionally thought it would be. but i did it a while ago so i dont remember all the details. i didnt have to remove the windows but the seat belt was keeping me from removing the panel all togeather. i ended up just tying it up aginst the roof with some string while i worked. it did require a little bit of trimming to get them to fit right, but not much.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:11 AM
El Commandante
Pro

If your car has the factory fader switch,(the thing below the radio on the center console with a speaker icon) it will allow all of the 4x6 speakers front and rear to be run through the front output on the head unit.

That leaves the rear output for a good pair of 6x9s in the hatch. Good 6x9s DO NOT disappoint!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Sythik
Rennlist Member

Make sure to get the car wiring harness from Crutchfield it will make your install alot easier. Even if you take it to have it installed order this harness first for your shop to use so they dont cut off the original harness.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Basic stereo work/installs are easy...do it yourself.

I picked up some JBL's that fit the door(Vince is right, this is the tough fit). The rear speakers are lousy 4x6's. Some people tear into the sail panels and replace these, I decide to cut them out of the loop and just wired in a seperate 6x9 box in the hatch.

I have a Sony X-Plod head unit, which is nothing special, but it is loud with above average sound, no MP3 ability. Theses days you can pick up an Ipod/Mp3 unit for dirt cheap.

I recommend Alpine or Pioneer head units.

The door speakers are a bit limited, you have to search here, but like I said, some old JBL's off Ebay for $20 worked for me(and sounded better than the Infinity's that I had-which I ironically sold for more!).

If you decide to modify your stock sail panel speaker enclosures to fit 6x9's more power to you. Either way, pick up the best you can afford, again I recommend Alpine or another high quality brand. You can find a rear box for around $30. I will snap some pictures of my "setup" if you want to see how it all goes together, but no doubt the -search- feature will show you far more.

G/L

I really thank you for Hoss for the very useful information. As you know I am a newbie and this is my first car in my life.. I really need this information and I really appreciate for Hoss and everyone here that has given such a vey good input/suggestion to my 1985 944

Now when you said I can get head unit for mp3/ipod for dirt cheap, and you recommended me especially for Alpine/Pioneer brand's
my first question will be, will they gonna be expensive tho? since it's a BRANDed name head unit.. ( I mean don't get me wrong here, I really want it to get the brand one really.. but it's just it's accrossed my mind that it must be very expensive that I will have to get Non-Branded one )
so can you tell me/suggest me what brand/type of the head unit that will be the dirt cheap one as you said, and model number of th units perhaps..

I'm thinking of putting this into myt 944, it's quite a bit expensive (I think) but it has bluetooth thing

ebay auction

and will you think this unit will be compatible to my 944?

lastly when you said about ipod, can I know how does my ipod can hooked up to our stereo? I really never heard of this before, but if what you said is like what I meant (I can listen my musing from my ipod in my car) that would be VERY NICE.. and I really want to get one of that instead...
I just confused how can the music from my ipod can be listened/heard in my 944, and even if it can it must have sort of hooking up with cable/wire? and I really want this.. and can you tell me how will it cost (the cheapest one of course) lol...

oh and yes... I want the picture of your car and your stereo..

and also for the speakers... I am really again.. thank you for the informations.. can I know the specific type of your JBL speakers (I need to get one too)
and desperately need some suggestion again from you guys... I have no experience in doing this stuff including putting speakers and head unit onto the car.. But I am willing to learn... since this is my first car in my life, and I wanna learn how to all of this..
my question is : which one is a good idea?
1. I better not mess with anything since it's very electronical up there and this is my first time so I don't wanna mess with electronical stuff especially audio.. or I will endup having a bad audio in my 944 for my entire life lol... until I hired someone professional to install the new audio for me (which is meaning I will have to afford money again.. doubled my cost)
2. I start learning.. (is it very hard to do tho?)

thanks alot people.. feel free to shoot me answers...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
elite001
Advanced

why I cannot post a link

ebay auction
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by DanAllen944
what is your location? if your near me i will help you install it. but if not, it is pretty easy to install just about any modern deck in a 944. i have 4x6 pioneer door speakers and polk 6.5" in the side panels.
i also built a custom box to fit in my spare tire area thats holds a 10" polk/momo sub. as well as an amp rack made from plexiglass in the driver side hatch area.
can I see the picture of your stereo? sound very nice stereo...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sythik
Make sure to get the car wiring harness from Crutchfield it will make your install alot easier. Even if you take it to have it installed order this harness first for your shop to use so they dont cut off the original harness.
could you give me a link perhaps.. from the critchfield.com since I really don't know what are you implying tho... forgive me for my stupidity... this is my first car..

and also forgive me my poor english..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Alpine makes great units. My family uses them in all our cars.

You mentioned that the cd player in the link you posted was pretty expensive. $100 for a cd player with iPod and MP3 features is a great price. Most setups with that capability start around $200.

If you don't feel confident installing the unit yourself, take it to a local installer. As long as you buy the correct wiring harness, the cd player will be compatable with your car. Just make sure the unit is standard dimensions like your stock radio and not a double tall unit for an suv or something. If you do go to a local installer, it is usually better to buy the player from them instead of bringing in one you bought on the internet. They should be easier to work with if you are buying their product.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phi1720
Alpine makes great units. My family uses them in all our cars.

You mentioned that the cd player in the link you posted was pretty expensive. $100 for a cd player with iPod and MP3 features is a great price. Most setups with that capability start around $200.

If you don't feel confident installing the unit yourself, take it to a local installer. As long as you buy the correct wiring harness, the cd player will be compatable with your car. Just make sure the unit is standard dimensions like your stock radio and not a double tall unit for an suv or something. If you do go to a local installer, it is usually better to buy the player from them instead of bringing in one you bought on the internet. They should be easier to work with if you are buying their product.
How can I get the correct wiring harness? so if I buy the unit.. I will have to buy the wires also? if I take it to the shop.. I thought they already provide the wirings?

also
is this one unit will work to my 944?

not to mention it is very expensive... phew.. but it's pretty much does everything tho.. LOL

I will have to start saving MONEY..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Alpine SPS-460A speakers are a perfect fit and sound great for the money. They are shallow enough to clear the window mechanism and use the factory grills.

Quick Reply: Newbie.. need help.. with 944