Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower balance shaft binding

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM
CCCP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower balance shaft binding

I am in the middle of my engine rebuild for my 85.5 na and have run into a problem. When I go to install the bearing housing for the lower balance shaft, right before it makes contact with the block, the shaft just about seizes. I can no longer spin it by hand and need to use pliers. It seems that the housing not keeping the shaft cnetered in both bearings. Has anyone run into a similar problem?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the bolts in? The lower one is really mental. If you play around with the torque on all four bolts, youll eventually find a balance between them so to speak where itll spin.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:05 PM
CCCP
Instructor

I've been trying to give each bolt a quarter turn to slowly and evenly push the housing back against the block, still no dice. The problem is I can't make contact with the housing and block by pushing on it with my hands. So I've been using the bolts to do it. Not going so hot though.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok stop then, where isnt it making contact? Is it pinching the ORing? Have you rubbed some fresh oil or assembly lube on the ORing, shaft bearings (both) and the thin mylar seals? The housing should slip in without much effort, you shouldnt have to use the bolts to force the housing in.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
CCCP
Instructor

All seals are oiled, all bearings are lubed, I can easily push it in till there's a mm left before contact, at that point the housing will spin in place easily, just isn't easy to push further by hand. And the O-ring looks fine when I take the housing off for inspection, doesn't appear to be pinching.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:16 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

You need to use a larger hammer.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are the shafts mixed up?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Early and late bearings are different... are you sure you have the correct bearings? I was sent the wrong set in error when I did my rebuild.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
CCCP
Instructor

Bearings are correct, I am reusing the old ones.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

EVERYTHING has to be right for them to work, particularly the bottom one. As mentioned, the bearings must be right, the caps have to be the original ones for that engine, and they have to be on in the right direction, and the brace to the front housing/PS bracket must be torqued in proper sequence.

When you tighten everything, and then have to turn the shaft with pliers, take it back apart and inspect the bearings. You should see a wear pattern where it is binding. Study that to get some clues as to where it is binding.

I have hand fit bearings in engines where the original caps and covers were not available. I used the process I just mentioned to tell me where to relieve the back of the bearings until they fit properly. I used 00 steel wool to re-pollish the bearing after each relief so as to get a fresh mark each time I retried the fit.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the lower balance shaft binding up on me on my rebuild. It was fine until I would go to install the PS/front balance shaft housing, and once that was on, the shaft would seize. Turns out I had the L bracket that mounts to the front 4 bolts on the lower balance shaft cover, too far forward. Once the housing was almost seated, it would hit the L bracket, **** it off to the side a little and seize the shaft. Once I moved the L bracket back about a mm, the problem went away.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
CCCP
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I had the lower balance shaft binding up on me on my rebuild. It was fine until I would go to install the PS/front balance shaft housing, and once that was on, the shaft would seize. Turns out I had the L bracket that mounts to the front 4 bolts on the lower balance shaft cover, too far forward. Once the housing was almost seated, it would hit the L bracket, **** it off to the side a little and seize the shaft. Once I moved the L bracket back about a mm, the problem went away.
Thank you very much. I now remember that I intalled that bracket as far forward as it would go. This has to be my problem exactly. Should all be fixed tomorow.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CCCP
Thank you very much. I now remember that I intalled that bracket as far forward as it would go. This has to be my problem exactly. Should all be fixed tomorow.
Yup, if you have it shoved forward, thats going to be a problem That should take care of it
Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
(...) and the brace to the front housing/PS bracket must be torqued in proper sequence.
Yes;

Like I said, this bracket must be done in the proper manner or it throws everything off. If you tighten down the front housing without tightening down the rear bracket, and everything is fine, then you have found your problem.

I install the front housing first, then put on the rear bracket. By loosening and retightening the bracket bolts a couple of times, it usually seeks a perfect aligment, each time walking further into its proper niche.

Quick Reply: Lower balance shaft binding