Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Project 951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun the turbo

So,
After a year of ownership, i finally went over the line while driving the car. I was having some fun in the mountains on highway 9, racing my friends Mitsu Evo. For all of you that are wondering, the 951 is sure a better car in the twisties..he was in my rearview the whole time. Anyways, onto the details. I was coming off one of the long sweeping 90 degree turns, about to pass some yahoo in a white car. I flashed my high beams to let him know i was coming and pulled out to pass. The stretch of road was a straight downhill section, which turns into another 90 degree sweeper. The idiot in the other car decided to speed up to make my pass all that much harder. What an *******. Needless to say, i got into the turn way too hot, trail braking a little too far for comfort. I heard something scrape as i entered the turn; i later found it to be my front lip spoiler bottoming out from the suspension compression. The Turbo's rear end came out, and i tried to compensate for it, but it was no use. the car violently snapped the other way, sending me for a 180 degree spin. Luckily, the car that i had passed saw the whole event unfold and was able to stop in time thanks to his cars brakes. My friend behind him in the evo had 4WD, so stopping was no big deal for him, except for the car stepping out a bit. I got ridiculously lucky that night, my car didn't suffer a single scratch and everyone was ok. Lesson learned for the year.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Project 951
So,
After a year of ownership, i finally went over the line while driving the car. I was having some fun in the mountains on highway 9, racing my friends Mitsu Evo. For all of you that are wondering, the 951 is sure a better car in the twisties..he was in my rearview the whole time. Anyways, onto the details. I was coming off one of the long sweeping 90 degree turns, about to pass some yahoo in a white car. I flashed my high beams to let him know i was coming and pulled out to pass. The stretch of road was a straight downhill section, which turns into another 90 degree sweeper. The idiot in the other car decided to speed up to make my pass all that much harder. What an *******. Needless to say, i got into the turn way too hot, trail braking a little too far for comfort. I heard something scrape as i entered the turn; i later found it to be my front lip spoiler bottoming out from the suspension compression. The Turbo's rear end came out, and i tried to compensate for it, but it was no use. the car violently snapped the other way, sending me for a 180 degree spin. Luckily, the car that i had passed saw the whole event unfold and was able to stop in time thanks to his cars brakes. My friend behind him in the evo had 4WD, so stopping was no big deal for him, except for the car stepping out a bit. I got ridiculously lucky that night, my car didn't suffer a single scratch and everyone was ok. Lesson learned for the year.
Man, that guy in the white car was an idiot. I hope you yanked him out of the car and beat him to death to teach him a lesson.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Glad you are ok. The last thing we need is people hurt while driving agrssivley on a public highway.

About the evo, 4WD has nothing to do with how fast the car will stop. That is a lesson that the SUV drivers in my area need to learn.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
fork_included
Pro

go to more autocross events

then you'll never lose control on public roads

you could have pulled out and did a full drift and showed the driver of the white car what its all about
Old 11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by Project 951
So,
Sell it and buy a Honda.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

that guy was an idiot. i hope you beat the living daylights out of him. man i am glad your friend had 4WD otherwise he may have hit the white car and killed the guy if he wasnt able to stop.

i figure with a NA that has only 162hp I should never find myself going as fast as you were going in the turbo on the street so I should never be in that situation. but if i do find myself going to fast on the street in my turbo i will be sure to think of the virtues of 4WD and hope the car in back of me has it so he can stop as fast as i can with my brembos.

There should be something in the road rule book that when a car flashes at you whether you see it or not you should pull over. the car flashing should never ever have to apply the brakes and abort the pass.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a way to keep your fender from diving and scrapping like project951s car did. My NA 944 has konis up front and when I pull in aggresivly to my road which is a downwords slope sometimes Ill catch the fender slightly when the cars nose dives.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

If you can afford to auto-X or driver's ed your car, your skills will be slightly polished and your eagerness to drive crazy on the street is controlled. The funny thing is, is that when you behave most everyone around you does too. Glad to see you and your car are fine.

944FEST '06 "TAKE IT TO THE TRACK"
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never spun a car before and this is my first winter with the 951. Wet streets with the LBE scare me.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
I've never spun a car before and this is my first winter with the 951. Wet streets with the LBE scare me.
Add some weight to the rear and take it slow. At least thats what we do in the snow. You should have nothing to worry about as long as you remain calm and collected. I had no problems doing to full midwest winters with a Miata. Its the other drivers that you need to worry about. Even a 4X4 can turn into a led sled when driven improperly.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This story sounds almost too stupid to be real, probably just another lame joke.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I hate it when those damn yahoos are driving safely in public. You know, not breaking laws and not displaying a disrespect for public safety.

You made a dumb move, and you payed for it. Not nearly as much as you probably should have, but don't go doing it again.

Looks like you have a lot to learn about the physics of cars.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I hate it when those damn yahoos are driving safely in public. You know, not breaking laws and not displaying a disrespect for public safety.

You made a dumb move, and you payed for it. Not nearly as much as you probably should have, but don't go doing it again.

Looks like you have a lot to learn about the physics of cars.
hey bud, please send me the keys to your porsche, cuz obviously you dont need it

i think an automatic corolla is perfect for you! since why bother with fancy sports cars , you know, its taboo to drive fast on public roads, ohh dear jesus i have sinned i went over the limit, damn me to hell....
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fork_included
hey bud, please send me the keys to your porsche, cuz obviously you dont need it

i think an automatic corolla is perfect for you! since why bother with fancy sports cars , you know, its taboo to drive fast on public roads, ohh dear jesus i have sinned i went over the limit, damn me to hell....

Eyal951 has learned alot over the past couple years!

Maybe you will too.

Quick Reply: spun the turbo