Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the title and was thinking "how do you spin a turbo? Not bolted to the exhaust piping right?"...

Triptophan - it's my excuse till the end of the year.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:40 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758

Eyal951 has learned alot over the past couple years!

Maybe you will too.
ive been autocrossing for the last two years, and while it has supressed my urges to race on the street, once in awhile you just want to race around

when someone diliberatly blocks you thats a big no, no

why do you care whether someone is braking the law or not, get out of their way and let them continue, trying to either participate in the race with them or WORSE YET, get in their way, only increases the chances of an accident

which as described by the OP, exactly what happened.

you all should drop your normative statements, they have no weight.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe not.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can definitely tell the age of people posting here. Sorry to say, been there, done that and worse, and now can realize the stupidity in it. Joe, I guess your normative statements have no weight as 2 years of autocrossing much outweighs your years of professional racing license.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Legoland951
You can definitely tell the age of people posting here. Sorry to say, been there, done that and worse, and now can realize the stupidity in it. Joe, I guess your normative statements have no weight as 2 years of autocrossing much outweighs your years of professional racing license.
what are you trying to say exactly, that you lived your life longer than i have, yeah, you and an a couple of million people out there. The only reason i put that comment there so that people can see that i have been to schools and organized events and am not simply talking from a, if you will, "street racer" perspective

also i gather you dont actualy know what the word "normative" means.

if racing should be kept at the track then all cars should have speed limiters built into them and government regulated.

whats the point of being an automotive enthusiast and not enjoying your hobby?

there is nothing stupid about driving faster than the posted speed limit if you are within your cars limit, and yourself as a driver, if you get cought you pay a fine, go on with your life.

what IS stupid, is having other motorists KNOWINGLY obstruct your driving, REGARDLESS of the situation, speeding, no speeding, cornering, straight line etc.

the person in the white car knowingly blocked the OP's attempt at a pass and has instigated an accident prone situation

if he had let the OP pass, then the scenario that was playing out in the OP's head would pan out and everything would be peachy.

the OP could be blamed for speeding and driving the car beyond his ability as a driver

but he is right to be angry at the driver of the white car, who also made a mistake behind the wheel.

but neither action is "stupid"

a stupid action while driving a car would be to slam on the brakes in traffic, or signaling left and then ripping into the right, THATS stupid.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

944s are so cheap now (turbos seem to be cheap in the states) so I'm not suprised.

sure most people speed sometimes (so do I) but it's different than racing people on the street and losing control of your car. I always speed on the freeway if it's not busy and it is safe. I don't speed when there are slow moving cars in front of me.

I guess if you drive a lamborghini, you must have the right to drive 300 + on a public highway, just honk the horn at the slow moving toyotas.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It doesn't matter who was right or wrong. The simple physics of the thang is that once you turn the steering wheel into the corner you have to be off the binders. Before that point is a matter of planning and it is possible to get that wrong sometimes. Glad you survived and didn't get involved in a crash.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
959Lover
Racer

Originally Posted by Project 951
So.....
Dude, be happy you didn't wreck. I'm not going to say things like "You did bad" blah blah blah, but I will say that when you think you might not be able to pass, don't try. My experience (what little I have) tells me this, and because I am patient with slow *****, I can enjoy the rest of the day after I pass him/her. Think about it this way too: A day of slow driving is a better day than not driving.

Crap happens, just try to go to some of the autocrosses next year. PCA-GGR is having a meeting on January 21st to talk about when the events of 07 will be, so just sit tight and go to Malibu Grand Prix in the meantime
Old 11-27-2006, 08:19 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by jim 7
It doesn't matter who was right or wrong. The simple physics of the thang is that once you turn the steering wheel into the corner you have to be off the binders. Before that point is a matter of planning and it is possible to get that wrong sometimes. Glad you survived and didn't get involved in a crash.
if you want i can forward to you a scanned article that advocates the development of proper trailbraking all the way to the apex....

there ARE merits to it, and depending on how the car is balanced, trailbraking may lead to a faster lap time.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fork_included
what IS stupid, is having other motorists KNOWINGLY obstruct your driving, REGARDLESS of the situation, speeding, no speeding, cornering, straight line etc.
Actually what is stupid is KNOWING that someone is trying to block you and going ahead with what you are doing anyway.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 959Lover
Dude, be happy you didn't wreck. I'm not going to say things like "You did bad" blah blah blah, but I will say that when you think you might not be able to pass, don't try. My experience (what little I have) tells me this, and because I am patient with slow *****, I can enjoy the rest of the day after I pass him/her. Think about it this way too: A day of slow driving is a better day than not driving.

Crap happens, just try to go to some of the autocrosses next year. PCA-GGR is having a meeting on January 21st to talk about when the events of 07 will be, so just sit tight and go to Malibu Grand Prix in the meantime
Ahhhhhh......Malibu Grand Prix...........now I know where you are getting your mad driving skills................
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Riff
Actually what is stupid is KNOWING that someone is trying to block you and going ahead with what you are doing anyway.
we are but man no?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Project 951
Instructor

thx for the comments guys, yeah it was a stupid move on my part and i learned from it. My brain was telling me to get off the brakes, but fear of crossing into the other lane to make the turn told me otherwise. Still if that ******* had pulled over and not caused a ****load of trouble, i wouldnt be telling this story
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing against anyone in particular but:

1. It is a given the public road is not a race track.

2. With that given, people driving on the road are not going to look for people racing on the streets (example: when you change lanes you don't expect a car coming at 200 mph so you don't look 1 mile behind you to change lanes).

3. Anyone who expects other drivers to look out for race style driving and how to act in response is just idiotic considering how little it takes to get a drivers license.

4. Under full race conditions, NO ONE gives away their position and "move over" and anyone expecting that is idiotic.

5. NO ONE CARES ABOUT TRAIL BRAKING OR TOP SPEED BANK TURNS ON THE STREET. All I know is, if some idiot spins out thinking the street is a race track and kills my family while not dying in the process, I will finish it for them.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i used to run the canyons too, and trust me, I have some of the best roads here, but when anyone else was around, I had the slightest bit of common sense not to continue my reckless act around them. Trying to pass with a turn coming up is reckless, the fact that they "sped up" (or maybe you miscalculated, we will never know) Doesn't justify ****. If they hit you, it would have been your fault, and you probably would have lost your license. Yes, I enjoy my cars on the street, i do it responsibly as I can. Otherwise, i take it to the track. (not autocross, I like to enjoy my car for more then 40 seconds spurts in second gear in a parking lot)
Guess what? I spun my car in a canyon road too a couple years ago, however it didnt involve entering a turn to hot during a pass on a single lane road. Did you even have a legal passing zone? I'm not calling you an idiot, or whatever. Just reralize what kind of reality check you've just had.

Quick Reply: spun the turbo