Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relative autocross times

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relative autocross times

Hey all,

I know this is a really broad, almost impossible question to answer in a general sense, but what the heck. The last couple of autocrosses I've done, there haven't been any other 944s running. I know I'm still slow as dirt, but I'm also pretty sure I'm improving. But not having any other similar cars makes it hard for me to get a feel for how slow I really am. So, how fast or slow does a stock, street-tired 944 compare to other Porsches (mostly what's there, since I've only done PCA auto-x so far), in the hands of the same/comparable fast drivers? In other words, if you had a (good) driver run the course in 70 sec. in a Boxster, what would they do in a 944? Other cars? On slicks?

edit to say - normal FTD on courses I've run is in the 65 region, usually either a 993tt w/ slicks or BMW M coupe w/ slicks and other mods.

Last edited by Big E; 09-20-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right, its hard to compare times like this as it depends on alot of things. From what i have experienced in my particular region against the Boxters, the showroom stock Boxters (also the S model) usually run 3-4 seconds ahead of me personally (Who is on street tires also).

Againt the Boxters running in the Street Prepared class (Which is basically anything with suspension modifications and running an r-compound) run 4-6 seconds ahead of me.

I am by no means a great driver either.

This is comparisons on mostly 50-60 second courses for 944's. The prepared Boxters will be in the low 50 second range (50-54seconds) while i am at the verge of entering the mid 50 second range (55-57ish).
Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
upcruiser
Advanced

I just did my first one a couple of weekends ago and really did better then my expectations. I ended up 5th overall and beat a bunch of cars and drivers that I probably had no right beating(including a well sorted production gt rally car on tarmac tires with a seasoned driver). The only other Porsche in the field was a 951 and I beat that by 6 seconds. The course was fairly tight and really favored my cars gearing. I don't know if it was beginners luck or what, but I thought the 944 did great. This despite having completely worn shocks at the front and back. I'm doing another this weekend and hoping to see how it compares to some other cars.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, 5th place? You layed the smack down.

Last time in my 968, I was 3-4 seconds slower than some boxsters. My car is faster and stiffer than yours, but I was being sloppy. There's a guy and gal that come to the local autocrosses all the time, and they have a 968. They always score in the top 5...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you guys must have large turnouts for your events- im usually the only one in I2 improved suspension class-unless tifo runs. I know i used to run just a sec or two off of FTD in my n/a w/ slicks, but recently ive been off my game. Now w/ a turbo i'll prob be even slower. WE'll see once the car is sorted. I do know that most of the 944's that turned out for events were 2-5 seconds slower than tifo and myself, prob just due to suspension/driver. TJ did ok too...hhehee.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

We usually get around 70-80 cars at an event. (NY Metro) With Jon from second post.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I push really hard I'm 8-10 seconds behind first place and if I take it smooth, I'm usually 5-7 seconds behind first which usually puts me in last place

I stink, but it's still fun. Mind you, my suspension is shot and I need better tires. I always give a good show I'm told
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well at a PCA one recently there was only 25 drivers and i was 4th, and was only around 2-3 seconds off ftd on a 40 second track, i was right up there with an 02 boxster, about .2s off. Then the last one I was about 4-5 seconds off ftd. Generally i'm about 2-4 seconds off the quicker guys with slicks, when i have summer street tires
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Wow, 5th place? You layed the smack down.

Last time in my 968, I was 3-4 seconds slower than some boxsters. My car is faster and stiffer than yours, but I was being sloppy. There's a guy and gal that come to the local autocrosses all the time, and they have a 968. They always score in the top 5...
I was definately not holding back, but not being particularly smooth either. There was only 36 cars and we got 7 runs in. I was 8th by raw time and 5th with the PAX. I'm going to a race in Appleton, WI this weekend to see if it was a fluke. Again though, that course was right in the sweet spot of my second gear and having had this car for 11 years now, I know its handling limits pretty well. Definately inspired to do some suspension work to it in the spring though.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's our local time fo rthe last session.
http://www.pnwr.org/Track/autocross/...utoX072006.asp

I'm at the top of page, with a time of 57.921
Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Big E
Hey all,

I know this is a really broad, almost impossible question to answer in a general sense, but what the heck. The last couple of autocrosses I've done, there haven't been any other 944s running. I know I'm still slow as dirt, but I'm also pretty sure I'm improving. But not having any other similar cars makes it hard for me to get a feel for how slow I really am. So, how fast or slow does a stock, street-tired 944 compare to other Porsches (mostly what's there, since I've only done PCA auto-x so far), in the hands of the same/comparable fast drivers? In other words, if you had a (good) driver run the course in 70 sec. in a Boxster, what would they do in a 944? Other cars? On slicks?

edit to say - normal FTD on courses I've run is in the 65 region, usually either a 993tt w/ slicks or BMW M coupe w/ slicks and other mods.

What a fun post - thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Pick a good driver and put him/her in your gun sights.

each autocross try to narrow the gap. forget the car, it is all driver and tires.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when running my bone stock 83 "parts car" on street tires I put it in the top 1 or 2 street tire cars at PCA events. Only a well driven boxster or 996 could surpass my times. Once guys put race tires on it was different story as nearly all race tire times were faster than street tire times irrespective of skill.

Now the point is a well driven NA is pretty good autocross car, but really it can't hang with the newer cars unless the driver skills are vastly different. As far as how many seconds off the top? Well I came in 4 to 5 seconds mostly, but alot has to do with the course layout and length. Best thing to do is pick regualar on street tires and compare times to theirs. Best to find lower hp car, but short of other 944's that is as good as you can do. Then try to reduce the % you are off that driver's times to gauge performance.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Big E
Racer

Thanks guys (well, most of you). Joe P., I guess your first sentence pretty much answers my question. Top of the pack on street tires. Man, do I have a long way to go
Old 09-20-2006, 05:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the thing that I eluded to, but did not metion outright is that driver skill is big factor. In Az mostly novices drive on street tires. Once you have gotten a couple years experience most guys run R tires. So these other cars I was beating were with drivers with much less skill and experience than me. When I run my 944 spec in autocross it is a top 4-5 overall car running 1-1.5 seconds off the top depending on if the very fastest guy showed up or not. Intersestingly I don't think I could run as fast in autocross in my Turbo S as I could in that old beat 83. The 951 was just never in the power band. When driving it I was mostly in the "dead zone" of hp and then transition to too much hp. While the 83 was low hp overall it was much easir to manage especially if I slid the hell out of the car. I typically did at least 1 or two powerslides per event in 8-12 runs with the tires squeeling all the way around the course. Funny to watch even the massive body roll.

Quick Reply: Relative autocross times