Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-point harness install (finished pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-point harness install (finished pics)

I just got my harnesses and seats and realized I don't know how (actually where) to install the harness. So... Where are the mounting points? Do i have to drill holes for the ineer belt and sub-belt? Can I install the iner belts to the seat bracket (I got he bracket with the attachement for the stock belt)? If i do have to drill a hole how dio I reinforce it? The belts came with bolts but no nuts. Do i need a backing plate or is through the floor fine?

Last edited by jeeper31; 07-26-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the sub belt you will need to drill though the chassis, for the lap belts you can mount them to the factory locations (or drill and custom mount them). As for the sholder belts, if you dont have a harness bar, i have no idea.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
944CS
Drifting

I would either return the 5 points and buy 6 points, that way you can mount each sub belt using the existing holes for the seat mout, or I would make a bar that mounts over the seat rail, similar to what a brey krause fire extinguisher looks like, and wrap the sub belt around that.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944CS
I would either return the 5 points and buy 6 points, that way you can mount each sub belt using the existing holes for the seat mout, or I would make a bar that mounts over the seat rail, similar to what a brey krause fire extinguisher looks like, and wrap the sub belt around that.
Mounting the sub belt to a bar that sits infront of the seat defeats the purpose of the sub belt. It should be mounted direcltly under the sub belt hole, or slightly behind it.

-Z.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Drilling holes, adding bars, rigging up mounts.....you really didn't think this through...did you? LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Go with the 6 point. You drill zero holes and can reuse all factory mounts.

As z-man notes, having the sub belt mount over the front of the seat defeats the purpose of the belt and is not recommended.

The recent approach is to use a 6 point. Mount both the sub belt and lap belt to the factory mounts. Sub belt runs under your thighs and up to the buckle. Lap belts route normally. Imagine a parchute harness. Locates you better in relation to the lap and sub belts.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Exactly, use the 6-point. I have mine installed exactly has ninefiveone has described, per direct instruction from Dr. John Melvin.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Drilling holes, adding bars, rigging up mounts.....you really didn't think this through...did you? LOL
Nope... as usuall didn't think it through but they look nice in the box.

I do have a Brey-Krause Harness bar that will be going in tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just revived my old thread, lots of useful info there...read the whole thing!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z-man
Mounting the sub belt to a bar that sits infront of the seat defeats the purpose of the sub belt. It should be mounted direcltly under the sub belt hole, or slightly behind it.

-Z.
With stock seats which have no holes for proper mounting of the sub belts, there is no difference. You are picking the lesser of two evils. Ideally you would want to mount them slightly behind the chest line. If you really want to get picky you could say the stock sport seats are bad for use with multi-point racing belts because the lap belts on the sport seats rest on the side of seat, which can collapse and effectively loosen the belt.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No reason to drill anywhere when mounting a 6pt, use the stock mounting locations for the lap belt, the seat brackets you got should have a tab for them. That is running on you ordered the ones for the late cars.

You may want to run the harnesses over the BK bar and mount them to the rear seatbelt points. I wouldnt trust mounting the harness directly to that bar. This also is going to lengthen the harness runout and some may say its dangerous due to the stretch of the fabric in an impact. Either way i think its safer than mounting it directly to a 2pt type harness bar. I know the BK bar connects at 4pts technially, but i still wouldnt trust it., i consider it more of a 2.5pt mounting. Those rear mounting bars are kinda flimsy looking.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944CS
With stock seats which have no holes for proper mounting of the sub belts, there is no difference. You are picking the lesser of two evils. Ideally you would want to mount them slightly behind the chest line. If you really want to get picky you could say the stock sport seats are bad for use with multi-point racing belts because the lap belts on the sport seats rest on the side of seat, which can collapse and effectively loosen the belt.
Starting this year, my PCA region (NNJR) as well as a few regions in my area are no longer allowing the use of harnesses with stock seats. Seats must have the proper holes for the sub-belt and the shoulder harnesses.

I didn't realize that jeeper31 was using the stock seats.

-Z.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z-man
Starting this year, my PCA region (NNJR) as well as a few regions in my area are no longer allowing the use of harnesses with stock seats. Seats must have the proper holes for the sub-belt and the shoulder harnesses.

I didn't realize that jeeper31 was using the stock seats.

-Z.
Z,

Not using the stock seats. Installing Corbeau Forzas in the car as we speak. Are you gong to be at the PNC Autocross this weekend? I think Matt and I will be there.

Jon - Definately running them over the bar and attaching to the rear belt points. Are you sure you can't come on Sunday. Woud be a nice way to spend your XXth birthday.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

jeeper:
I am planning on attending the AX @ PNC this weekend - we can talk about harness setup more then.

-Z-man.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno about sunday. Probably not. I really dont feel like making the drive down there. I know technically its about 30 minutes longer for you Dan.. but seriously, i am lazy an that just means i need to wake up THAT much earlier. Ill keep it in mind.

About how far is it from us anyhow?

Quick Reply: 5-point harness install (finished pics)