Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honest answers needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:41 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question honest answers needed

hello all,

i attended my first Auto X in 26 years. i had a great time, didn't come in 1st,but didn't end up last either. i want to have fun,but be reasonbly competitive . my question; do i spend a few dollars on tuning up the suspension? or should i just blow my money on a different ,more competitive car?

Robin
Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Personally, I'd focus on the most important thing here: you. Lots of practice will make you far faster than money spent on performance goodies or another car. It's cheaper, too.

BTW, if you are still in the stock class, keep it that way for now. Until you get better, you'll probably be more competitive there than you would be if you spent a lot of money but got bumped up a class or two.

BB.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

BB you're absolutely right about practice. i do have to put shocks on regardless, they are originals(worn out). just wondering if my 944 is a good X car.

Robin
Old 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

what kind of 944 do you have?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I hear they are very competitive, and I hear that outside of this forum so there must be some truth to it.

But that's almost moot, really, as there are reasons I can think of beyond that to suggest that you just go ahead and keep the car. While there might be faster cars out there (I'd auto-x my Miata before the 944), your 944 is already yours, and is a known quantity. You know what's right and wrong with it, and know that the shocks are what you need to do (and are helpful even if you sell it). Rather than go through the hassle of selling the car and/or buying another one that would probably need some work anyway, why not just stick with what you've got?

So, yeah. Buy new shocks, better shocks! Maybe even go adjustable if the class allows it. I see no reason to go through the extra effort to get something else. Maybe down the road, sure, but definatly not right now.

BB.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What club are you autocrossing with? If your regional PCA is reasonably active, stick with the 944.. you not only get to enjoy a great auto-x car, but you also get to run with some pretty decent people. Here in the MetroNY area, the 944 class is huge, usually atleast 5 cars which is more than all of the other classes such as the 911's, Boxters..etc.

The 944 is a great car for autocross and you do not need to blow a ton of money to be competitive. Bigger sways and good tires are a easy way to run with some of the faster cars. Stiffer springs, better struts / shocks and a good alignment will go even further to making you fairly competitive. You have to remember alot of the cars you are running with have a considerable power advantage over you.

My car is probably not very competitive in a SCCA type classing.. but paired with the other 944's that run and even running with the MetroNY club my car can hold its own and usually finish right smack in the center.. i think the car is capable of being in the top 1/4 of the group, i need to work on my driving though.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good shocks, some welt 200lbs springs-at least- and good tires. Practice practice practice. They can be very competitive if you can drive them.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the seat facter learn to drive the car then upgarde from there

Quick Reply: honest answers needed