Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OOPS ... let me start over about the power locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OOPS ... let me start over about the power locks

What can I say yesterday was the first day that I had the car and I was really excited about it.

So today I went out and and took a better look. This is what happens ...

Button on console - press button and both doors lock then quickly unlock.

Passenger door - lock with key and both doors lock then quickly unlock.

Drivers door - lock with key and only the drivers door locks. Nothing happens to the passenger side lock.

Sometimes on the passenger door I can turn the key a few times and the locks "might" stay down, haven't tried this with the console button.

I can manually push the door button down to lock the passenger door and pull it up to open with no problems.

Finally the drivers door can not be pushed down or pulled up. I have to use the key only.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A 5spd Black/Black
1992 Harley FXSTC
1999 Chrsyler 300M
Old 07-09-2006, 01:00 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you have a problem OK. The one bit of light I can shed is that using the key to open the rear hatch is not supposed to set off the alarm. I read that the alarm brain senses the current draw from the hatch release motor. That sounds a little far fetched but mine works that way.

You don't mention having a remote button for the alarm, do you?

Lou
Old 07-09-2006, 03:53 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When the key is out of the ignition, and you press the central lock button, the doors will lock and quickly unlock to prevent you from locking yourself out (when the system is working normally).
Old 07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

The drivers side lockbutton can not be pushed down with the door open. You have to use the key to lock that side; they are all like this.

The following things are the only problems of the ones you mentioned:

Originally Posted by Alxx Nova
Drivers door - lock with key and only the drivers door locks. Nothing happens to the passenger side lock.
Sometimes on the passenger door I can turn the key a few times and the locks "might" stay down, haven't tried this with the console button.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

So then when locking the door with the key both doors should lock and stay locked.

When unlocking with the key should both unlock?

I'm going to run out and see if the console button will work right with the key in the ignition.

Thanks.

Alex Portanova
1992 Harley FXSTC
1999 Chrysler 300M
Old 07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Well ... door open / door closed ... key in / key out ... if you press the console button they lock and then pop open. Though if you keep pressing sometimes it will work and stay locked, but it's rare.

There is a red light on the console button that lights up when atleast one door is locked. That is so long as the key is n the ignition and switched on. Oh and if one of either door is locked then nothing at all happens when I press the button.

Since the console button and the passenger door will trigger the power locks, I'm assuming that what ever it is in the drivers door lock that triggers the door locks might be the problem. Is there a separate switch in there or is it part of the lock itself? Something I can separate from the system and test on it's own?

Alex Portanova
1992 Harley FXSTC
1999 Chrysler 300M
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Alxx Nova
What can I say yesterday was the first day that I had the car and I was really excited about it.

So today I went out and and took a better look. This is what happens ...

Button on console - press button and both doors lock then quickly unlock.

Passenger door - lock with key and both doors lock then quickly unlock.

I can manually push the door button down to lock the passenger door and pull it up to open with no problems.

Finally the drivers door can not be pushed down or pulled up. I have to use the key only.

Alex Portanova
1992 Harley FXSTC
1999 Chrsyler 300M

I'd guess "unlock" wire in your central locking system is shorting to ground somewhere (like a frayed wire in the door joint). It is the brown wire with red stripe in the door and under the steering wheel, going to the central lock computer. Normally, this wire is grounded only when the key is inserted in the door and the little microswitch in the key assembly is triggered in the unlock direction. If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if this wire has continuity to ground when the car is off, keys out, etc. If so, that's your problem. I'm guessing you are able to lock the driver door by physically turning the lock with the key, over-riding the accuator that is pushing to unlock it at the same time. Sound right? Alternatively, your central lock computer or one of the microswitches or accuators could be bad I suppose.

Quick Reply: OOPS ... let me start over about the power locks