Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LSD...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Wes-P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing LSD...

I have found a person willing to sell me an unused LSD unit for my 951. I was wondering if anyone know how hard this would be to switch out with my Open differential, or if maybe there was a write up on the net about it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Cass944
Drifting

its somewhere between brain surgery..... and....... rocket science....

should be a peice of cake for you :P

you just really need to remember where stuff was before you took it apart. Take LOTS of pics if you have to. Its sort of like a puzzle... but you cant really put anything in the wrong place because (also liek a puzzle) it will only go togeather one way.

if you end up with extra parts (other than your old dif) when your done... then you forgot something. make sure you get a factory manual or something to make sure you have everything torqued to spec, also to make sure you replace anything that cant be reused nut and boltwise.

other than that. Make this forums your new homepage... youll need it. feel free to use the search to look through all the threads that have covered some of the info you will need... or feel free to ask for help. thats what we're here for
Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have access to the factory manuals, take a look at the transmission section, and page through the part on checking and setting the ring/pinion spacing. Its not a simple job and I dont think you will find a write-up on the web or here.

The ring gear is attached to the diff, so it needs to be moved from the old diff to the new diff. So, in order to properly swap the differential, you should/need to have the ring and pinion spacing checked after the install. This requires measurements and/or visual inspection of the ring/pinion teeth contact location. If the spacing has changed, due to tolerance differences between the two diffs, it requires removing the diff. bearings and changing the shims behind them. Can be a tedious process, and therefore expensive (at $100 an hour).

The job is something that should be done by an experienced p-car mechanic. A lot of shops do not know what they are doing when it comes to transmission work, and either skip the shimming steps or do it incorrectly. If you are quoted much under $500 for the diff. swap, I would be skeptical that the shop is aware of the correct methods.

Can also try some searches on this list and the turbo list and you will find a history of discussion on this topic.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
kdfoust
Track Day

I'd rate it as patient work. You've got to be willing to assemble, check, disassemble until you get the ring and pinon contact correct.

That's why I paid to have it done when I did mine. It was $841 including labor, gaskets, and oil. I supplied the LSD. My mechanic told me it took him four tries to get it just right. I have no reason to doubt him.

Later,
Kevin
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did replace my R&P and while it isn't very difficult to understand what needs to be done to get correct mesh, the tooling and facilties needed to do so are not in the typical DIY shop. I had access to key peices of equipment where I used to work. Take a look at the thread I posted during the process....
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=autopsy
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered this a year ago and have looked at lots of posts, best answer, take your tranny in to a reputable shop for a rebuild and have then install the lsd in the process.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
tuc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike C.
I did replace my R&P and while it isn't very difficult to understand what needs to be done to get correct mesh, the tooling and facilties needed to do so are not in the typical DIY shop. I had access to key peices of equipment where I used to work. Take a look at the thread I posted during the process....
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=autopsy
Great thread!! I have a LSD that I want to install into an S2 tranny then into my 951. Good info.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Aquadave
Track Day

Yo Ricky Bobby, you wanna go fast or something?

Haha Wes, give me a call...(nothing to do about transmissions tho)

Quick Reply: Installing LSD...