Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much is my motor worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 05:53 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

From: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Default how much is my motor worth?

im gonna swap out my 2.5 for a 5.7, and just curious as to how much my 2.5l motor is worth. i was looking st some on the net as a salvage shop and they had some for about 900$ and on ebay theres some anywheres from 500$-1500$ so thats a pretty broad spectrum. as the motor sits right now, it needs a timing belt, aos rings, and the oil pan gasket replaced. now i am planning on fixing all these problems b4 i sell the motor, just so nobody can come back and bitch about something breaking. then im gonna clean it up and make her perdy. so after doing all this, what would u guys say its worth. and it drives really good. its got a rebuilt head and a rebuilt a/c compressor, new plugs, wires, oil/filter.
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:01 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

5.7 eh? that's pretty impressive
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:04 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Originally Posted by JakeRx
I'm only going from 2.5 to 3.0L and I'm pretty hyped up lol
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:13 PM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by JakeRx
When he said 5.7 I was thinking he's swapping it for a chevy 350...
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:20 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

From: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

damn skippy chevy power is the only way to go, unless its a hoped up turbo motor. im kinda goin on the cheap right now, 290hp 320lbs/touqe its in the middle and in my budget. i was thinkin about sellin the 2.5 for about 1300$, after its fixed and cleaned up. u gotta spend money to make money!
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:25 PM
flosho
Pro

You should up your budget a bit and go ls7... Just think youd be the first and only to have a 7L porsche.. !!! Plus you're in Wisconsin, so I could get a ride in it!
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:38 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

im not diggin fuel injection anymore,if i were to up my budget id get a 385ci fastburn! then shed be walking all over the road! but for now im gonna go mild, unless i come into about 10k$ then id ship her down to Renegade and unleash the power. but id think 290 hp should get the job done nicely.
Old 05-30-2006 | 07:01 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

What a waste of a nice looking 944. If you want V8 power go buy something that already has one. Your avatar picture catches my eye everytime I see a post by you, I would hate to see what looks to be a good running and driving 944 torn apart for a V8 swap. No offense to you or anyone else who has done a V8 conversion but 944's aren't meant for tire burning performance. Once its rolling it will keep up with the best of them.
Old 05-30-2006 | 07:51 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

This idea goes together very well for me. my love of motors and the love of sports cars, now i will have both in a very neat package. i have seen pictures of porsches all cut to **** to make room for the sbc, but i dont intend to to any of the sort, shes gonna look perfect! with what im planning on doing should look very presentable, and maybe even win an award or 2 at some local car shows. Not to mention id have the most sought after car in about three counties around me, or so i would think. for now it will have to wait untill i pull the motor out and sell it to get the ball rolling. i plan on paying homage to both porsche lovers and chevy fanatics, in a bold smoothe styled "sports rod"

oh and thanks for the compliment
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:04 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Post pics.
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:16 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

dont hold your breath on the pics
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:30 PM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Ahh creating a Porvette? Right on, more power to ya. Gotta admit, the rebuild price of a 5.7 would make me want to do the swap too. However, in classic Porsche style you don't get the boost **** anymore

Are you going with the renegade kit? If so, I have some experience from them having seen a few kits done. Be careful as some parts are not as strong as you may want them to be... If you are going to track your car after the conversion check everything a few times before and after.
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:35 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flosho
You should up your budget a bit and go ls7... Just think youd be the first and only to have a 7L porsche.. !!! Plus you're in Wisconsin, so I could get a ride in it!
no he wont be. a guy here in dallas is putting an LS7 in his 951.
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:52 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

yeah im going with renagade, but since im not using a vette/fbody motor im not sure which of the parts i need. they sell some clutch disks and flywheel, but this is a carbed engine, and im not sure if they will fit the crate motor, so i sent an email and they only answered my questions half assed so im still in the dark so to speak. but i am really exited. i have a motor but its only a 5.0 and in my nova, and im pretty sure that my 2.5 puts out more hp than the 5.0 does so thats outa the question.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
This idea goes together very well for me. my love of motors and the love of sports cars, now i will have both in a very neat package. i have seen pictures of porsches all cut to **** to make room for the sbc, but i dont intend to to any of the sort, shes gonna look perfect! with what im planning on doing should look very presentable, and maybe even win an award or 2 at some local car shows. Not to mention id have the most sought after car in about three counties around me, or so i would think. for now it will have to wait untill i pull the motor out and sell it to get the ball rolling. i plan on paying homage to both porsche lovers and chevy fanatics, in a bold smoothe styled "sports rod"

oh and thanks for the compliment
Reach for the stars you may end up with the ceiling.

many have started on the journey you speak of. few, very few have made it past the first few steps. sadly there is a lot of ugly before any beauty is seen. sadly many lose interest when the project is in the ugly stage.

many sadly end up destroying a fine automobile in the name of improving it.

i hope you have a better understanding of motors and motor swaps than you do of stereo electronics and funny little hoses by the alternator.

Quick Reply: how much is my motor worth?