Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much is my motor worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Didn't you say your car had over 300,000 miles on it? I don't think there is any way you're going to get $1300 for that engine. By the way slapping a timing belt on it isn't a belt job. A proper timing belt job would be new timing and balance belts, water pump, rollers, tensioner, and ideally seals for the cam, crank and balance shafts. If you put a pan gasket on it do the rod bearings at the same time. You would be better off selling it as is for $300 - $400, that is if anyone would buy an engine with that much mileage.

I'd leave your car alone, or if you really want a V8 then sell it and buy a Camaro. Talk to Tom here or ask around and you can set up the suspension on the Camaro to corner just as good as your 944. If you want a Porsche with power get a turbo.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have been messin with stereos since i had my first car, the only problem im having with that is that i have too much **** and it wont fit back in the console. i have an idea of how to fix this but im sick of messin with it. ive had a subwoofer system in the last7 vehicles that i owned and installed them by myself. this car is just more difficult. like i said b4 im am more used to dealing with gm v8s than any other motor, i have a army mechanic who's gonna give me a hand with this project, and his brother also a mechanic. the only work im gonna do is fix the stuff on my motor (after its on my stand) and this is my first german car so there is alot of **** i have never messed with, one being tha aos and ducting running all over hell. like i also said b4 im not gonna jerry rig or half *** any part of this. which is why i joined this forum, to learn. and i have studied alot of data regarding my 944 but im not done with it yet. i still dont know alot about domestic vehicles most of what i know is learned from research or watching my friend. i am well aware of the ugliness that will soon be upon me, for a second i had thought of abandoning the thought all together! so for know all i want to know is what my engine is worth when i fix all the bs problems it has now. have faith brother all is not lost yet.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

well actually it only has 280K i found the last owner.i plan on buying the roller kit with the belt. well if that guy at the salvage website is selling a 2.5 for 900 used with no warranty i think i can at least get that. 1300$ is a place to start, i dont want to give the damn thing away. and if i wanted a camaro i would have gotten a camaro, incidently i was looking for a trans am 5.0 tpi....but i found this and liked it.
how many porsches are running around here with v8's in em?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

At a time when you can get decent running 944s for 1000-2000, you should reconsider the price for your engine.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

well whatev ill get rid of it one way or another
Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well here is to the destruction of another 944 , I find it sad really.

Clean or not, I find it insulting to the German engineering put into the car for an american pos to be resting under the hood. Once again no offense to anyone who has done it, but it just isn't right in my book.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
+1 here. That hump in the renegade hood to clear a carb looks like *** in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of non-power brakes either.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Clean or not, I find it insulting to the German engineering put into the car for an american pos to be resting under the hood. Once again no offense to anyone who has done it, but it just isn't right in my book.
The first half i agree with. the second half is nonsense.

Ive seen and heard well prepared porvettes. they are a beautiful sight. Calling a LT1, LS1 etc an american pos is just ignorance, especially from somoene with the uber fast and maintenance free 944 motor. but that thread has been hashed and rehashed here.

you are entitled to your opinion, me to mine, and we know what opinions are like.

sad to see another 944 headed for the parts bin.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
The first half i agree with. the second half is nonsense.

Ive seen and heard well prepared porvettes. they are a beautiful sight. Calling a LT1, LS1 etc an american pos is just ignorance, especially from somoene with the uber fast and maintenance free 944 motor. but that thread has been hashed and rehashed here.

you are entitled to your opinion, me to mine, and we know what opinions are like.

sad to see another 944 headed for the parts bin.
I wouldn't call my statement ignorance, mainly just an opinion of putting an american motor into what is a great car the way it came despite their many problems here and there. I really don't have a problem with LT1's etc., they can be extremely fast and hassle free, however when I see a corvette going down the road its just another chevrolet, a Porsche on the other hand to me has prestige and to be tearing it apart to cram something in there that just wasn't meant to be is pretty sad.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An LS7 sure isn't american POS. It's one badass engine. Hehe.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
2bridges
Drifting

From what I read of this project........ it's gonna go down bad
It is hard enough to get through such a big project when you have the expertise and know how yourself.... but when relying upon a buddy and his brother..... Yikes
Hope it all works out.

On that note- why waste your time unless you are gonna put some power in..... I considered this project for a couple 944s.... My minumum HP specification was 400. If your gonna have a sbc 944 it should kick *** all over he die hard prosche guys or else your a leaker
Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

however when I see a corvette going down the road its just another chevrolet, a Porsche on the other hand to me has prestige and to be tearing it apart to cram something in there that just wasn't meant to be is pretty sad.
If someone offered me the "just another chevrolet" C6 in trade for my 944, I'd do it yesterday. And you're lying if you wouldn't do the same. 400 stock hp with potential for a lot more, factory warranty, probably 5 times a stiffer structure, etc. They have the same transaxle design and 50/50 layout, so Porsche doesn't have any amazing sooper jenius engineering over Chevy. Rather, Chevy's the one out at Le Mans, while Porsche is building Pepperwagons. Some prestige, to be building SUVs instead of selling sports cars that have won races.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

LeMans? Seems Porsche won there a few times. I love Vettes, really the only decent car in America the last few years. But, have you ever heard of 911 GT2's and GT3's? They race and win. Both the Vette and 911 have wonderful racing histories. As for building Cayennes, it's the business plan that keeps Porsche in the black. Selling them allowed the Cayman and the future Panamera. There was an interview with the head of Ferrari and he was asked which car company in the world has their game on, his one word reply was Porsche. Why all the hostility anyway? You buy a car, with your money, it's yours. The people here can lamant the loss of an original, but they didn't buy it for you.

After reviewing what I wrote, I appear to be the Rennlist Switzerland representative.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tigershark
LeMans? Seems Porsche won there a few times. I love Vettes, really the only decent car in America the last few years. But, have you ever heard of 911 GT2's and GT3's? They race and win. Both the Vette and 911 have wonderful racing histories. As for building Cayennes, it's the business plan that keeps Porsche in the black. Selling them allowed the Cayman and the future Panamera. There was an interview with the head of Ferrari and he was asked which car company in the world has their game on, his one word reply was Porsche. Why all the hostility anyway? You buy a car, with your money, it's yours. The people here can lamant the loss of an original, but they didn't buy it for you.

After reviewing what I wrote, I appear to be the Rennlist Switzerland representative.

Thankyou! Nicely said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I myself simply have an opinion just like everyone else. I would prefer to see this 944 live out its day as a Porsche instead of turning into inventory on a shelf.

BTW- I wouldn't trade my 951 for a vette, the simple truth.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tigershark
LeMans? Seems Porsche won there a few times.
Absolutely. "Won...15+ years ago" is the key, not "actively competing."

As for building Cayennes, it's the business plan that keeps Porsche in the black.
I don't buy that. They were the most profitable company even before the Cayenne. The Cayenne was promised to pay for Porsche to go back into factory-backed racing. The factory isn't at the track. Where's the beef?

Why all the hostility anyway? You buy a car, with your money, it's yours. The people here can lamant the loss of an original, but they didn't buy it for you.
I know. I can't stand hearing people say, "it's an impressive pushrod engine that'll smoke my car, but...it sucks anyways."

I just see the Corvette team striving for excellence, and the Porsche team being complacent and repeating "There is no substitute." The 911 is still a great car, just not proving itself as that car for which there is no substitute. Right now, there's only no substitute car with the # of RMS failures. That's my take on things.

At any rate, the Vette should remain a Vette and the 944 a 944.

Last edited by yellowline; 05-31-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: how much is my motor worth?