Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much is my motor worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:07 PM
White Pony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd look for an engine with roughly the same power stock and maybe less weight, with good modability and low maintenence. As far as I can tell, a Toyota 22R/22re or one of the turbo variants of the 22r seem like good candidates, with a fair aftermarket to boot... The VVT engines in the modern Celica wouldn't be bad either, but IDK how you'd go about converting the driveline to RWD. But that is just idle speech over the opened hood gawking at leaking front seals...

I live pretty close to you Swifty, if you wanna sell the whole car I'm looking for one like that.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

The GT2 dominates racing, especially in this country. I haven't watched a single race on Speed Channel that DIDN'T have at least one 911. The Vette races the DB9 and F550 in LeMan, not the 911. The 911 whoops up on M3's and the like. They are also racing a new prototype car at LeMan this year.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

as far as my crew for this project is concerned; i am not worried, i have two mechanics that both have their own buisness. and the reason for the swap is simple 1 buying engine parts will be a helluva lot cheaper and easier to get, 2 more reliable, and the motor will have a warranty! right now the crate motor in quesion is at 290hp which is 4hp shy of double my porsche motor. If i wanted more horsepower guess what all i gotta do is put in a hotter cam, pistions and beef up the intake. far cheaper than fu<k!ng around with a porsche motor. i have seen a 944 with 400hp, the motor is worth more than my whole damn car! i need to stop reading all your replys im starting to get doubts about this, and loosing my excitement.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
as far as my crew for this project is concerned; i am not worried, i have two mechanics that both have their own buisness. and the reason for the swap is simple 1 buying engine parts will be a helluva lot cheaper and easier to get, 2 more reliable, and the motor will have a warranty! right now the crate motor in quesion is at 290hp which is 4hp shy of double my porsche motor. If i wanted more horsepower guess what all i gotta do is put in a hotter cam, pistions and beef up the intake. far cheaper than fu<k!ng around with a porsche motor. i have seen a 944 with 400hp, the motor is worth more than my whole damn car! i need to stop reading all your replys im starting to get doubts about this, and loosing my excitement.
If you have the money it's worth it I guess... Expect to spend (according to what I've seen via research) over $6-10,000 dollars to get it in and working. You'll probably also want a Turbo tranny, heavier duty front suspension, ETC ETC.... And ETC...

Chek this out, it would save you HELLA time and hassle.http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19227
Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Originally Posted by White Pony
If you have the money it's worth it I guess... Expect to spend (according to what I've seen via research) over $6-10,000 dollars to get it in and working. You'll probably also want a Turbo tranny, heavier duty front suspension, ETC ETC.... And ETC...

Chek this out, it would save you HELLA time and hassle.http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19227
The motor is only part of the equation. You'll want a better, stronger tranny, better brakes, probably a new sterring rack, and with more power you should update/upgrade the suspension bits as well.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:01 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by Tigershark
The motor is only part of the equation. You'll want a better, stronger tranny, better brakes, probably a new sterring rack, and with more power you should update/upgrade the suspension bits as well.
yah, brakes would be huge- it would be like a 944 on crack! And the worst part is as someone already mentioned... Because the motor takes up too much room you have to use manual brakes unless you wanna spend alot of time and money remote mounting the booster if it's even possible.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

yeah im gonna research how much it will cost to get the big brake upgrade, im doint intend to swap out the trans axle, transmission. it would be better to do so, but i wont have the money to do it. it shouldnt cause any problems unless i beat on her. so the turbo rotars will fit up to my hubs then? will the bigger calipers have any clearance issues with my stock rims? im gonna get some beefier springs in front for sure, then some good stiff shocks in the rear. when i take off her *** really squats down. this project will take quite some time, i gotta sell alot of my **** to get the capitol needed. i dont suppose going with a manual rack with this setup will be a good idea.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:38 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The more I read, the more I can see this project never seeing the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
The more I read, the more I can see this project never seeing the end of the tunnel.
Carnac sees a hacked up 944 with a motor on a stand with parts hanging all over the place followed by a sweeper scooping up all the parts......

i was talking about the pos before the american part when i said ignorance earlier.

perhaps it would be better to do as many upgrades to the suspension and brakes etc. before hacking the car to smithereens. this way when you get bored, or your friends decide to do something more productive with their time you at least have something salvageable. of course it wouldnt be as exciting, but you would be able to drive the car on occasion between hacks.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

thank you for your enthusiasm, with the money im gonna be spending im thinking this would be better not to do its gonna be about 1664$ for calipers, rotars/pads/sterring gear,and a turbo cv axle. havent the suspension is about 1000 or so but thats more for auto x , and it lowers the car bout 1-1/2 inches.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

figure it will cost you about 20k or more plus time. then move from there
Old 05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

thank you for your enthusiasm, with the money im gonna be spending im thinking this would be better not to do its gonna be about 1664$ for calipers, rotars/pads/sterring gear,and a turbo cv axle. havent the suspension is about 1000 or so but thats more for auto x , and it lowers the car bout 1-1/2 inches.
Do you have a budget set for this project and how much can you afford to spend on it? Do you have at least 10% more left over for anythign unexpected? Are the two mechanics capable of fabrication or are they just regular mechanics?

I've build an entire supercharger system for my 928 for $1000, but it took a long time to do it? Swapping and engine will take a lot more time.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

If i go ahead with this my car would be worth alot! so that would make it an asset, from which i could sell, right. the way the car sits now its worth nothing(checked kbb) due to high miles, odometer tampering,and the few problems it has. so they will overlooked it. After i pretty much restore the car and put all that money into it the state would sieze it! i have to have surgery and any assests i might have affect how much help i will recieve. sooooo this would be a very bad time to do this!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:33 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

so im gonna be very sneaky when it comes to aquiring money, gonna be like a squirrel hiding nuts, for now im gonna fix the problems to the car the way it is, n just pretend its still a pos. i suppose this was bound to happen everytime something exciting happens, i end up getting drug thru the horse ****
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 PM
White Pony
Racer

so im gonna be very sneaky when it comes to aquiring money, gonna be like a squirrel hiding nuts, for now im gonna fix the problems to the car the way it is, n just pretend its still a pos. i suppose this was bound to happen everytime something exciting happens, i end up getting drug thru the horse ****
Dang dude, that all sucks. I knew a guy who went bankrupt and basically he just had to say everything he owned vehicle wise was in not running condition or junk, and move all of the vehicles off his property- they wrere gonna come with a car trailer and clean him out. I also believe the vehicle he used as sole transportation was not confiscated- if you like your 944 alot you shoulc claim that as only transportation and then they'll let you keep it I believe. This guy had over 30 different vehicles some worth 10-20 thousand and he got to keep the expensive ones because they were the ones he and his wife used to get to work, as well as his other vehicles which he used as basically offroad toys and parts vehicles.

I'm not familiar with the bankruptcy or state collection processes but these are hard times for you, and even though having all that horsepower is nice, it would be completely impractical for anything but extra kicks and bragging rights. I'd enjoy the 944 you have for what it is, and later on find a timing belt victim witha good body and interior for $1000 or something and build it off that.

Quick Reply: how much is my motor worth?