Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 968! And questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got a 968! And questions.....

Found a triple black beauty in Atlanta. 1994, 126k miles, 17" wheels, big black brakes, 6 speed, maybe sport suspension. I had discussed a lot of details with the guy and went over to look at it Saturday. No real issues with the car at all. I was super pleased. Got a good price on it, and the guy is buying my 944na. Barring any surprises, I am grinnin' like an idiot!

Couple issues/questions:
1. How is my stereo set up? I have cass head & CD changer - factory. The driver side speakers won't play for squat. Sounds like a bad amp. Does it have a separate amp, or is it contained in the head? I have a tweeter on top of the doors, a 4" below that, and a 5.25" further back on the door. Some at the rear seats, as well.

2. Where is my option code sticker located? I didn't see it back there where 944 ones are.

3. What all is supposed to be in my toolkit? Looks like it has everything, but I thought there would be more wrenches.

4. I would love a FSM on CD if somebody might know where I could get one. Failing that, a Hayne's. I had both for my 944.

5. With my luck, I got on a nail Saturday. Wasn't there when I got the car. Anyway, I got back on the road with Fix A Flat. I permanently plugged the tire now and it's fine. Would you go get the tire cleaned out (dismount & remove FAF)?

Stuff I plan to do:

a. Belts were done 50k ago at a Porsche dealer and just checked by the guy I bought from. I plan to go ahead and replace the timing and BS belts. Should I replace the auto belt tensioner?

b. I don't know what oil he is running in it, but I am swithing it to Mobil 1 and Mahle filters.

c. I have a DME (fuel pump) relay from my 944 (same part). Should I buy a spare fan relay? Any others that will keep me down?

d. Replace cam tensioner pads (recc by Todd84944)

That's about it. Couple tiny trim items with it, but she's a beaut. So, without further ado, here's my baby!

BTW, does anybody klnow what is up with 968.net forums?

-Bart
Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

havent been updated since 04...man i think i need one of those..

try www.968forums.com
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 AM
bart1
Race Car

I didn't realize that. I posted somewhere the other day, maybe it was 968 forums.....

The 968 is sweet. My 944 was an auto, so I never loved it. This 6 speed and 3.0 is a blast!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congradulations! Fun car!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

968forums.com is up and running fine. 968.net went down on Friday and I haven't seen it up and running again yet. Beautiful car, good luck with her.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. 968.net goes down once or twice a year but has always come back.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Apparently, 968.net and 968forums.com have been having spotty service lately.

Thanks, Blue!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Looking good!

Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh man, the front 3/4 shot and rear shot is great
Old 05-01-2006, 02:43 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by bart1
2. Where is my option code sticker located? I didn't see it back there where 944 ones are.
Option code sticker on a coupe is (at least on the two coupes i've looked at) under the rear hatch carpet on the driver's side.

3. What all is supposed to be in my toolkit? Looks like it has everything, but I thought there would be more wrenches.
Looks about right. Did you also get an air compressor? Mine came with a factor air compressor as well.

4. I would love a FSM on CD if somebody might know where I could get one. Failing that, a Hayne's. I had both for my 944.
Do a little googling and you'll find a certain site that has the FSM for the 968. There is no Haynes or other aftermarket manual, to my knowledge.

d. Replace cam tensioner pads (recc by Todd84944)
People have different thoughts on this. Some people have pulled their heads at 130k miles and found the pads to be perfect... Might be worth a quick inspection, but not necessarily replacement.

Congrats on the nice (and very clean-looking) example! I'm sure you'll love the 993 seats that the later 968's have.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Testarossa, you love making avatars don't you?
She is a beaute!!! Very nice car.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacing the cam tensioner pads can save you from disaster, and can give great peace of mind. It's not exactly cheap, and isn't an afternoon job, but if you do it you can forget about it for a long time and just drive happily. I did it just after purchase of mine, about 4 months ago. Nice car, congrats!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
bart1
Race Car

Thanks again for all the kind words, guys! Testerossa, thanks for the pic. Wish I was just "bart" instead of "bart1", but I guess somebody had taken that.

I found that downloadable FSM through 968forums.

Not sure on the air compressor. I assume it is in the spare tire well? I'll look for it.

I think I will do the tensioner pads. I had to replace valves in an 8v car and that was bad enough! Anything associated with this, I plan to address!

I'm still lovin' it.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice car!! Yes, you have the later M490 stereo, since I can see the round speaker at front of door panel- that's from them moving the little 3.0" speaker out from under the armrest & then putting it up front- earlier M490's had a 5.25 & 3.0 under armrest in a plastic frame, w/nothing at front lower door- the tweeter was always above the window switch in all M490's. I think they also enlarged that little speaker a tiny bit too, when they moved it forward, so it may be a full 4"- I've done a ton of research 944 stereo stuff, unintentionally... I just bought some 3-way components for mine- going to cut a hole in my 968 door panel for the 6.5" slim woofer (where your 3-4" is). Depth is the prob, but I've got it worked out- just waiting on 1/2" spacers to show up.

Your car should have a 5.25 under the armrest, the 3-4" at front lower door, a tweeter at top of door, a 6.5" under rear 1/4 window, w/seperate tweeter in rear grill... I've been told the later 968's had seperate amps running the front & rear channels, so you could have a bad amp- could also be channels from the HU, but I'm just guessing. They added a lot of little tweeks to the later 968's, making it very nice for a factory stereo, albeit much more complicated than need be... one place to research some of this stuff is:
http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqst.html

Is there a way you could measure the outer diameter of that front speaker grill, as well as it's distance from the front of the panel & from the trim right above it (I mean from the seam where the panel divides)...??? It looks like it's about 1" from front of panel & 1.5" down from the seam & possibly 4.5" diamter, but that's just from looking at pics... If you could check it for me, I'd really appreciate it...

Also, on another note- I don't know a whole lot about 968's, but, unless someone added larger calipers, then you would not have true "Big Blacks"- the technical "Big Blacks" came from the 928 GTS- the Turbo S & 968 M030 had 928S4 calipers, but those are just known as "S4" or "Turbo S" calipers... Not trying to be a know-it-all here, nor am I trying to belittle the brakes- just a quick point, for what it's worth... BTW- if your car does have the M030 brakes & the 17's, does this mean it has the rest of the M030 options? That would be even cooler... One quick way to tell is to check under the rear & see if you have the helper springs around the shocks... Anyway, congragulations!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
bart1
Race Car

Hey Robby. Thanks for your detailed post. The speaker in the bottom of the front door seems like a 4", but it's odd. Has a screw on grille. I'll check those measurements tonight if I don't forget.

Sorry about my misnomer. I wasn't sure on the brakes. I knew they were bigger than my 944 and smaller than Big Reds. I imagine they are the factory ones. No offense taken by your comments, I appreciate the insight. I printed out option codes and have mine, so I will see what was stock. Also going to try and see if I can get any more info from the dealer. Car lived in Atlanta all it's life and I know the buyer history. It does not have the m030. The PO did tell me the suspension had been upgraded, but he didn't know the details.

Quick Reply: Got a 968! And questions.....