Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 N/A ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 N/A ???'s

how do i go about changing the oil pan gasket, my rear wheels look like this: / \, whats the deal with that?, my cruise control unit sounds like its making popcorn under the hood, how do i disconnect it? washer fluid pump also makes a horride noise when engaged btw. so any help would be good, ive only had the car about a week or so, and i dont have any knowladge of german cars so im screwed there but i do have general automotive knowladge, im more used to working on trans ams and that sort.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:02 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

not one a ya knows how to change the oil pan gasket???
Old 04-25-2006, 12:14 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

There is a search function that can help you.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There are several write-ups if you do a search for oil pan gasket look for posts from a member named Tifo. He has an extensive proven method IIRC. Good luck. The rear wheels is going to be a matter of re-indexing the torsion bars I think, another fun job. Check the fuse guide and see if there is anything else on that circuit, if not yank the fuse.

Lots of additional information is available at http://www.clarks-garage.com

Michael
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The oil pan gasket is a bitch. If you're doing that you might as well reseal the whole engine, change the clutch, do the rod bearings, check and/or replace the engine mounts, etc. etc. etc. It really is absurdly involved and you're very close to the point of justifying removing the entire engine from the car (with all the opportunities and related "while-I'm-in-there" expenses that can lead to. . .)

Welcome to the world of 944s.

The rear ? / \ thing is actually desirable for track/cornering - to a point. Helps get the meat of the tire on the road in hard corners. Called "negative camber". Check here and google your heart out:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Obviously alignment is a compromise between performance and tire life. For a street car you probably need a lot more neutral camber.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

****e! the timing cover is also leaking along with the rack and pinion. but i didnt buy it to drive but to restore, THEN, drive the ****e out of it. oh man if an oil pan gasket is 108$ i dont wanna know what a whole enginge kit would be. it doesnt really matter cuz in a month i wont be able to drive it ayway. well thanx.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its easy- just..

pull front suspension with engine attached-

pull engine off of suspension-

slap new gasket making sure to seal corners w/ silicone-

installation is reverse of removal.
Attached Images     
Old 04-26-2006, 03:39 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

ok this is some bs right here, i havent the mechanical knowladge near what it takes to do more than changing plugs, wires, n that sorta stuff. i read some of the posts from an earlier time dealing with this and wow i can tell u that i am NOT gonna even attempt to do this. I thought about it, and thats as far as im gonna get. so anybody who wants to make a quick buck, let me know you could retire workin on my 944. my buddy whose a mechanic, wants nothing to do with this car, thats a bad sign.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

prob get alot further with your quest for a mechanic if you post your name, and location. oh and something about your car.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
my buddy, who's a mechanic, wants nothing to do with this car; thats a bad sign.
No, that's a good sign. A fella's got to know his limitations.

Your buddy knows it's going to take a lot of time, cussing, beer, money, beer money, patience, and more cussing, beer, and money to do things right. And that he might break something expensive by accident.

If you have the time, patience, and money, etc., to work on your car, by all means, do that. In the long run, you'll save money and learn things by doing it - just expect that things will take longer than expected (and more money, beer, and cussing than expected) and your car will be out of commission a while.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

right now the car drives fine theres oil leakin on something hot but cant find it. i live in wisconsin galesville to be exact. there is some sorta dealership 30 miles from me but they seem like shady m f ers. oh and im halfway disabled so i have no money, and alot of time. and not much patience. i should have about 1200-1400$ to throw around in a few weeks, any simple suggestions as to where i should allocate the money?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
right now the car drives fine theres oil leakin on something hot but cant find it. i live in wisconsin galesville to be exact. there is some sorta dealership 30 miles from me but they seem like shady m f ers. oh and im halfway disabled so i have no money, and alot of time. and not much patience. i should have about 1200-1400$ to throw around in a few weeks, any simple suggestions as to where i should allocate the money?
What metro area is Galesville nearest?

There are some P-car shops in Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, and the Twin Cities. Dont know of any offhand in Green Bay, but there is likely a shop or two in that area also.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Lacrosse, from here green bay is 290 miles across the state.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, its about a horse a piece between Mpls/St Paul and going to Madison for you. Neither are very close. I dont know of any real shops in Rochester and I doubt Eau Claire has anything.

Take your car to a Tires Plus or something similar and get a free alignment check. Post the results here and we can let you know if its something you should have adjusted or if its within a normal range of settings for a street car.

Not sure of what the Cruise control issue would be - making noise is unusual. More common that they just stop working. There is an ECU unit in the driver side footwell, but that doesnt seem like the problem. The servo/motor unit is under the hood between the firewall and the passenger fender apron - would supsect something is wrong with that unit. If you diagnose that to be the source of your problem, you can watch ebay or various classified ad sections for a used one, wont be too much $$. If youre getting noise when not trying to operate the cruise, are you sure the noise is related to the cruise control?

Does the washer pump still squirt fine, just make noise? Is the washer reservoir full, or could the pump be sucking air? Likely the pump is going bad and probably should be replaced. Can search for a used one or order a new one.

There are several mail order dealerships that advertize in Excellence magazine and the PCA Panorama, they offer 25-30% off of dealer list prices. Also can try some other aftermarket part suppliers like Vertex, Zims, Paragon Products, Pelican Parts.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

yeah the cruise control unit on then pass fender is the problem, i pulled the fuse and it stopped, BUT, i also lost brake lights as well. i tried to take it off but the wires are packed into this protective dodad and i couldnt figure out how to get it out w/o breakin it. i didnt think about going to tires plus, ill have to do that. not sure how far im gonna get, i know some of the guys that work there and they're a bunch of a holes. but hey its worth a shot.

Quick Reply: 86 944 N/A ???'s