Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observation on the new "Car Culture"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly. it's all the way people run it. the thing is, most of those people ricing their 944's, they don't realize the car ISN'T a honduh... they expect it to be bullet proof and ignore the factory recommended upkeep... snap a timing belt *oh snap!*

I have been told by many many people that I should get rimz on my 924S, tint the windows, lambro doors, a system, etc. etc. No way. if I do rims, I take my stock phone dials, and paint them a darker color... window tint would be nice, but I'm not gonna pay for that anytime soon... same with a system... can't be to loud, I'll pop the hatch further out of the frame, which wouldn't be too pleasant.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny.. I have not and will likely never own a "bone stock" car. I am all for a variety of mods and improvements, no matter the make or model...........

yet one simple statement always hold true----- If it has bling factor... I'M NOT INTERESTED

Some of the ricer crap in kinda neat..... some guage faces, etc, but most tastefull mods are so drowned by the bling bling crap you rarely take a second look to even notice.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think most ricers are just kids who want their cars to look like "show" cars theyve seen in euro tuner, but they dont have the money to do it so they go to autozone and find the closest thing they can. Remember people w/ air shox in the 80's running around trying to look like drag racers? I like my car riced out...
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Dan, that's tasteful, not riced, IMHO... all Porsche parts... looks good
Old 04-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

"Time to unpimp ze outo"

LOL, I love those commercials

"German engineeeeering yo"
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Hey Yo! I just ordered these Reeeiims 4 my 9-Foh-Foh. Now who's the Icy-hot stuntah!
http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels...oducts_id/1687
Dawg, Them Shzits is Pimp-O-Riffic. Yo, let me tell ya if I could cop a set of dem shzits in 22 wit spinners I'd hav'em fo my 9 fity won. **** think I will when I won't or do when I don't try me! Yeaaa! do it!

Oh well, I tried it hide my Honky'ness, but I couldn't.
Either way My 1987 951 is that it is all Porsche or Porsche up grades. All options on my car were offered at the time of sale. I have basically turned my 1987 951 into a 951S or tried! I have had it back now for a week and put 20 miles on it. Next drive will be to a PCA Auto Cross, then to NJ to Go back to Germany.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

There has always been bling. It was called chrome back in the good ole days!

Bling is what sold cars back in the big three days.

Only now we have electronics, and the more electronics there are -the cheaper they become and the more applications they are used on...and in some cases the more trivial.

I am a fan of the Porsche® have been and to a lesser extent the newer models, I like the performance/technology but don't like the lame boxster/99X looks the same parts. The last great 911 was the 993-in my book. But money talks and well I think you know how this saying goes. Even Porsche® feels dirty sometimes so they come out with the GT series cars that take away all the glitz and glamour.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

I am with you, 2Bridges. My 944 is slowly becoming modded. The only reason is that as parts wear out, I just replace with aftermarket (either because they give better performance or cheaper for same quality). I can understand tasteful mods (shocks, springs, turbo look, etc). Ghawdy mods (picnic table spoilers or giant wing spoilers for my 100hp car, TV screens on bumpers, brain seizure color repaints) require their owners to be shot, dawg.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 PM
MattS2Turbo
Intermediate

I've upgraded my 944 cabrio from stock, mostly to keep it looking as current and new as possible - things like the exhaust tip, new shift **** (it looks really dated in an S2... did Porsche change the 944 shift **** at all during the 944's life?), 17" Turbo Twists, painted calipers, etc.

Nothing wrong with modding a car, it's all about keeping in perspective. You can focus on one thing at a time, doing it tastefully or you can blow all your money on cheap replica crap and it'll look cheap and riced. If anything I'm GLAD so modding options are available in the car, and even though there aren't as many options as say a civic or a BMW 3 series, flexibility was certainly a reason I went for a 944.

You're right ckathens - they stole our style 8)
Old 04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I think we should modify the old saying...

"If ya can't race it, bling it!"
Old 04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Let's not use the term "Rice". These are German cars. Let's use the proper term "kraut-mobiles".
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

"Form follows Function"

There is a reason people "rice" out most cars. They are uninspiring and just plain boring.

Cars with passion, and beautiful lines penned by a true artist are different. Pinninfarina, Legay, Gandini...you dont need to put a body kit on their work.

Its also personal taste. I put clear markers on my 944. Function?...not much but i personally enjoy the look. It is available on most Porsche nowadays however. SS door sills? Functional, and the Crest adds a subtle touch. Crested shifter cap looks way better than a white and black plastic gate. No real advantage.

I do modify my cars for my needs, but I try to keep the original lines, or small things I feel do not take away from them. Its the reason I got an SFR in stock-look instead of round. There's lots of rims I like...but will they justify the cost vs. stock Porsche rims? Rarely. (Kahn RSRs are an exception!!)

Super triple spoilers??? If the car can't even exceed 100, or you never ever go over 100...then its silly have racing wings! (much less the super crazy contraptions they call spoilers) Plastic bumpers with fake grills???? I can't justify that at all. Side intakes when the engine is clearly in the front??? Another mod i can't justify beyond a waste of money. I think the reason is most cars that are modified don't hold the appearance of those that usually arent.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:18 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW,

I don't have any problems with mods to street cars. Now I agree that there is a difference between useful and useless. I can say that I have always loved auto racing sedans or coupes makes no difference. Given the choice of modified or unmodified I would choose any of the modified cars below over their unmodified versions.

Alfa Romeo 156 and Volvo S40. Who of us wouldn't love to have our 944 look like the Boss 944. All of the cars that I have posted though differ in that their modifications are for a specific purpose. Racing. Bling Bling lights aren't a part of any of their packages but suspension, wings, wheels, fender flairs, carbon fiber and a LOT other mods are part of each one.

To each their own I guess. I would love to get the Alfa or the S40 into the turnies

I have to say that it would be a lot of fun to have a fully functional interior in that S40 though. Imagine the looks on the soccer moms as you pulled up in that!

Michael
Attached Images     
Old 04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue S2
"Form follows Function"

There is a reason people "rice" out most cars. They are uninspiring and just plain boring.

Cars with passion, and beautiful lines penned by a true artist are different. Pinninfarina, Legay, Gandini...you dont need to put a body kit on their work.

Super triple spoilers??? If the car can't even exceed 100, or you never ever go over 100...then its silly have racing wings! (much less the super crazy contraptions they call spoilers) Plastic bumpers with fake grills???? I can't justify that at all. Side intakes when the engine is clearly in the front??? Another mod i can't justify beyond a waste of money. I think the reason is most cars that are modified don't hold the appearance of those that usually arent.
Sadly this plastic grill/side intake etc.. isn't limited to ricers. Have a look at the MK5 GTI? Plastic Honeycomb grill, WTF? Look at some examples from Pontiac, Ford, etc... fake hood scoops side inlets, etc... pathetic.

IMO the lines of the 944 are classic and timeless, no need to add any bling, the only thing I would change about the appearance of my 951 would be a 968 turbo RS spoiler, 930s steering wheel (non-airbag OE), and perhaps shift ****, other than that it's perfect.

The up side is that as all the 944/951's are picked up by young folks is that they will ultimately die from lack of maintenance and our examples will appreciate in value and rarity.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it has more to do with our culture in general. Appearance over substance and value.

Originally Posted by 951North
The up side is that as all the 944/951's are picked up by young folks is that they will ultimately die from lack of maintenance and our examples will appreciate in value and rarity.
Not neccesarily! I picked up my car when I was 16, and it's still running strong!

Quick Reply: Observation on the new "Car Culture"