Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problemo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006 | 08:25 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Default Turn signal problemo

Ok.. I searched, but did not find anyone with the same problem.

Both front turn signal lens' illuminate when the parking lights are turned on. Passanger side turn signal works. Driver side turn signal does not work. I replaced the bulbs, checked fuses, no problems. The light on the dash flashes for the passenger side signal, but flashes very quickly for the driver side signal. So, I assume its not the relay. Seems like if it were the relay then the light would stay solid from reading past threads. What should I try? Rear signals are fine. Hazards work fine except the driver side front turn signal doesnt light up.

Thanks
-Jeff
Old 04-07-2006 | 08:41 PM
AR10
Racer

This is usually caused by bad ground in non-working light socket
or ground wire.
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:23 PM
hderr
Rennlist Member

What happens if you pull out the light bulb on the drivers side, front?
Old 04-08-2006 | 12:55 AM
Mike951
Drifting

also with turn signals.. when i hit my turn signal iit causes my windshield washers to go off once. I have had to take the fuse out on dry days cause this is such an annoyance.. anything i can clean up to fix this problem?

-keith
Old 04-08-2006 | 03:49 PM
camelot
Instructor

Are you sure you have the right bulb in the front signal? A high resistance in the drivers circuit will cause the flasher to flash rapidly. Like adding more light bulbs to circuit. Found this out when I put plow lights on my truck. I had to go to a hd flasher. I'd check sockets and wiring to drivers side front signal. Get A 12volt test light, they are great for this type of stuff.
Old 04-08-2006 | 03:54 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

make sure all of your lights are working- the markers and the ts lights, front and REAR. Thatll cause it to flash faster. Check your grounds on the front and rear lights as well, just follow the brown wires.
Old 04-09-2006 | 07:48 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Ok.. heres an update.

Im getting the proper voltage and the ground wire is fine.. but the bulb will only light up with the parking lights on, will not flash.

Theres two power wired, one thats a constant on.. which shows fine voltage
The other wire is the signal wire, which jumps betwen 0 and 12 volts.. just as it should
The ground wire is completly fine.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! I just tried to fix this for 2 hours and couldnt do it. What the hell!

-Jeff
Old 04-09-2006 | 08:05 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

does it have the correct bulb- IE two vs. one filiment.
Old 04-09-2006 | 08:16 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am having a similar problem. Geting 0-12-0 voltage on a meter at the bulb socket. (Mine is the rear).

Check the fuse SEAT for that particular indicator light. Mine was a bit loose. I put a slight 'tiwt' on the spade of the fuse with some needle nose pliers.

The current was enough to run the meter - but NOT enough to run the light bulb.

Also - your problem with the wipers sounds like a short in your stalk. Could also be (believe-it-or-not) the electrical sewitch on the back of your ignition key switch going south!
Old 04-09-2006 | 08:53 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

I have a two fillament bulb in. Ill try that with the housing!
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:11 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Nope, the fuse trick did not work. I dont know what the hell to do with this. I need a blinker!
Old 04-20-2006 | 10:35 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

The turn signal circuits are routed through the hazzard switch. There are a couple of diodes in there that might cause something like this if they go bad...
Old 04-20-2006 | 11:32 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Ive had the hazard switch off too, and cleaned all the connections.

I really dont understand why the light bulb would not light if im getting voltage at the housing... it just doesnt make sense.
Old 04-20-2006 | 06:25 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Could be that the sping pin connection at the center contact is not pressing hard enough against the bulb. Could be corrosion on the on either side - bulb or socket. Could be a bad ground connection.

What I was getting to about the hazzard switch is that it could be faulty, not just dirty contacts. The circuit is pretty complicated - it has to allow to each side to blink independently when the ignition is on, each side to go into "parking light" mode when the ignition is off, and regardless of the ignition switch, it has to allow for 4 way flashers. Internally, there are a few diodes that act as one-way valves for the current. If they are toast, things won't be working correctly.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:20 AM
hderr
Rennlist Member

I know that you have tried a lot of things, some of which are listed here you have already tried, but consider retrying:

* make sure the bulb you are using is good, try it on the other side or connect it to power supply so that ya can see both filaments work. Or maybe try a new bulb.

* sounds like you have voltage to the flasher side, have you tried using jumpers between the contacts on the connector, bulb not in the socket but connect by the jumpers, being careful not to short circuit the wires.

* next I would go back to the fuse again, different fuse, and maybe wiggle it in the box with the turn signal on.

* buff the pins on the bottom of the bulb and inside the connector with a pencil eraser.

* with the turn signal flasher in the "on" position, give the turn signal level, a wiggle, up, down and all around.

* what happens when you pull the fuse (31?) with the ignition on, turn signal on, lights on?

* with your meter, tell me what the resistances are between the casing (side) of the bulb and each of the bottom pins on the bulb.

* with the signal on, but the ignition key OFF, tell me the resistance readings between a good ground and each of the two pin connectors at the connector socket.

Just some thoughts about what I would try, not sure what it might all mean but someone here might pick up on something.

HD

Quick Reply: Turn signal problemo