Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I CAUGHT A CAR THIEF, and He helped me do it!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this all pans out and this guy really did drop his ID in your car, you could probably write to the "worlds dumbest criminals" show and catch a few seconds of fame. My favorite on that show was the women who called the police because her neighbor stole her crack... she probably knows this guy.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's still HIGHLY suspect, circumstantial evidence. If you get the guy's prints on your car, that's one thing. An ID could have gotten there deliberately or by accident by someone else.

In the case of a criminal trial where the standard for conviction is "beyond a reasonable doubt" I sure as hell wouldn't return a conviction if that's all you've got. I think it doesn't meet that standard.

The cops either need to corner the guy with the evidence and get him to confess how it got there or you need supporting evidence to physically put the guy at the scene - just his license being there doesnt' do it. You NEED his fingerprints or something else. Right now, you ain't got jack.

The above legal advice is worth what you paid for it though - so talk to the D.A./prosecutor before doing anything else.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with eohrnberger...

And also, being a CJ major, working in a halfway house, and having worked in a probation office, I'd say that it's most likely NOT a plant. upon getting out of prison, these guys have the clothes they went into prison, about $100.00, and that's it. with that, they need to rebuild their life, which is tough...

note: I am in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY SUPPORTING THIS GUY, OR CONDONING HIS ACTIONS... just stating what I've learned.

that said, if he's not yet found a job (which is likely, few people like to hire felons, those who do are generally filled quickly) and he needs some cash because his $100.00 is gone (maybe on drugs, maybe on good things, most likely drugs, as they're common as hell in prison), well, bloody hell, what's he gonna do? He's gonna get cash the best way he knows how... breaking into cars, and pawning his findings... using the cash for more drugs, or food, or whatever...

so yeah... the seats of these cars like to steal things, so your car fought back. make sure you give it a cookie or something for it's great effort. not a plant, just a "well trained car"
my 2 cents...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
you guys have purple ID's in Virginia? I'm sorry
That's how they embarrass people who have lost their license. They're considering pink license plates for DUI offenders.

If the cops are smart, they can get him to admit guilt or at least that he was in the area.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Royalty
Banned

Ok heres the deal.

Police officer said last night that I could do two things
1. Take a warrant out for his arrest
or
2. Let a detective follow up on it, this may take a while.

I start down the path of option 1.
I go to the madigistrate and after hearing my story he suggestes I make this a civil matter. Since I dont have enough evidence and norfolk PD will not dust for prints any nickle and dime lawyer could get him off. He says I should get the damage to my car estimated and sue him for that amount. He said civil court is different from criminal court, its based off enough supporting evidence not beyond a doubt like criminal court. With his record and me finding his ID in my car I am sure to win. Yay!

Suing him is fine but I want him to spent some time behind bars.

I call the local PD tell them the story and ask if they can dust for prints. He says "sorry son but the expense for prinintg is too much for the city to do it on car breakins." (he was very nice about it) I asked what about letting the detectives follow up on it. He said that could take weeks and thats if a detective actually wants to take the case.
He said that I should go the route of the civil case aginst him.

I'm getting an estimate done on it probably tomorrow and will take it downtown tomorrow to begin mr bates' life in civil court hell.

Yay
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll probably have a better time of it that way. The standard for most civil cases is "preponderance of the evidence", not "beyond reasonable doubt". Far easier standard. If I were the judge, I'd find in your favor - no question.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

If this guy is really a low life criminal, like he appears to be, what makes you think that you'll ever get any money out of him? That he'll ever show up in civil court?

I hope that it all works out for you, but I'd be worried that you'd be spending at least, or more, money on taking time off of work to go to civil court to be dissapointed when he doesn't show, or if the court does find in your favor, that he's got no money, no job, no include to pay you.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

If he does NOT pay, then doesn't he get a warrant for his arrest or anything along those lines? This situation sucks a bit, taking everything into consideration. I hope you get your car fixed, and if possible throw him back in an 8x8 cell with his 300 pound Bubba-Bear to cuddle with.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:32 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless it's a lot of money, I'd forget about it. He (or his buddies) is likely to come back and vandalize your car or your house or assault you.

Those of you who don't believe this guy is dumb enough to leave his own ID... some of my friends who are police officers have told me even better stories. Guy pulls out his wallet to buy a big ziplock bag of drugs (mixed assortment for a big party), hands over money, gets big ziplock of drugs and opens it up to look inside, cops jump out of an unmarked car, guy stuffs his wallet in the ziplock, seals it and throws it down a storm drain then runs. Guy breaks into exgirlfriend's current boyfriend's dormroom, gets on the computer and logs into his own college server account, downloads child **** to the desktop, checks his own email, minimizes the windows, and leaves. Guy walks up to an ATM, sticks his card in, types in his PIN, turns around and robs the woman behind him, deposits the money he stole, hears a siren and runs away with his card still in the ATM.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:13 PM
moronputz
Advanced

It may be bleeding obvious, but have you spoken to your insurance company about it.

Don't make a claim, yet, just talk to them.

Depending on how they operate they may be prepared to accept the claim with no penalties because you can nominate who was responsible - even though the police are not interested. Talk to them and see.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhh...the power of the internet!

here's his HOME PHONE! 757-857-5423

Hello, Jessie - I have something of yours!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark
Ahhh...the power of the internet!

here's his HOME PHONE! 757-857-5423

Hello, Jessie - I have something of yours!
See page three. Already found it
Old 04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
See page three. Already found it
dang...sorry for the repost - I missed that one.

I bet "S. Bates" is his momma. Maybe we should ALL give her a call at, say 330am???
Old 04-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Royalty
Banned

you guys are sharp like a laser.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA!

Last year cars were being stolen from my neighborhood (mostly Hondas). Then they would be found in the town next to mine. Then cars started disappearing from that town and showing up here. The police figured that the thief was stealing the cars to commute back and forth to work. They were never caught.

Then, cars started to get broken into. Five cars on my street were broken into. They had mostly just their stereos and speakers taken. One lady lost her gym bag and notebook computer. The break ins stop happening for a week and then started again in the country club were houses cost $2 million+. One of the residents gives a surveillance video to the police and the following night they catch a man running down the street with a automobile CD player in his hands. He first pretends to not speak english, then he says that he bought it at a garage sale. (At 11:00 at night?)

Quick Reply: I CAUGHT A CAR THIEF, and He helped me do it!!!!!!