Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe bad news, any help in Vegas? t-belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:13 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe bad news, any help in Vegas? t-belt issue

okay, my car started making a really bad noise at idle. once you rev it higher than that it goes away for the most part. I thought maybe something kinda simple. As i get going through the engine to replace somethings i keep finding issues like my injectors are leaking, etc... I am trying to pull the valve cover off to see what i can see down there. as i remove the cap i notice some broken plastic in there. im thinking in my head maybe that is the noise? na its a little louder than that. then as i go to take the rotor off the shaft that it connects to is pretty loose and there is alot of play in it. as i take the cam belt cover off i notice the cam belt looks fairly new, the recipts i got show it replaced a year and half ago- only 3000 miles ago, and it is PRETTY LOOSE. sooooo, perhaps i have 8 valve paper weights? any way my Haynes manual wont help me with this belt as i need the infamous tool. well, what i was wondering is there anyone in Vegas that would like to come help me out with this? or is there someone that i can rent this from? like pay pal them the $500 for the tool and they refund a differnece back to me when they get it back? any and all advise on this would help
thanks

Sean
Old 04-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a twist method you can use to set the tension "by feel." I recommend looking at the Clark's garage website. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Zoltan, there is another guy on the board with the name of Zoltan... but it's not his screen name... just a thought... Z-man
Old 04-01-2006, 03:52 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

So maybe someone can help me with some clarification from clarks garage. It say to pinch the cam belt mid way and twist 90 degrees, so i guess it should look like this 'Z' and then tighten it down? doesn't that seem a liitle loose to anyone? any and all help is appreceated.
thanks

Sean
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Kricket tool, they are 15 bucks- test the belt at the center. The twist method is by feel, if you dont know how much resistance youre used to feeling this can be a worthless measurement

send me a ticket to Vegas and I'll replace your belts for you .
Old 04-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you need to do some serious reading on this car or find a mechanic who knows them. If you don't, you're going to be facing some serious bills.

A good place to start: if your engine's making bad noises, stop revving it. Shut it down and start diagnosing.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:42 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

clearly i think you missed everything here. The car was driven back to my house that i how i know about the RPM part. And if you didn't catch on, i pretty much diagnosed and fixed the problem myself. My only issue as its stands is not having a $500 belt tool

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the title and instantly though ... hmm Z-Man is out there ... then I saw the poster name ... Doh !!!

your a few hours from me, and I wouldn't be of much use. I only know how to fix the stuff I have broken myself.

Good luck dude, keep us in the loop
Don
EDIT: wait a minute... 2 Zoltans in Vegas
Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

for anyone that cares, here is the 'other part' to this problem.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/263836-need-some-help-got-the-camshaft-assembly-off.html
Anyway i got the cap, rotor, and gasket from pelican and put it all back together. everything is fixed!
the noise was the cam gear wobbling like crazy, obviously it somehow straightens itself out under higher rpm to make that noise go away. the other part to the noise was the timing belt being a little loose do the loose cma gear and slapping around in there. I was concerned seeing how loose it was in there, as you can see from my posts. Now that the cam gear is on solid the t-belt seems perfect how it should be, and i will be able to drive it to porsche to check the belt and make sure its within spec. thanks for everyones help

Quick Reply: Maybe bad news, any help in Vegas? t-belt issue