Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this 944 to nice to turn into a track rat...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this 944 to nice to turn into a track rat...

Hello all,

I usually hang out over on the 993 forum, but recently I have considering building up a 944 Spec car. I found this example for about $2k. It has a little over 140k miles on it and the timing belt was changed about 20k miles ago. The dash is perfect and the interior is real nice.

First of all, is she worth the $2k.
Second, is she too nice to cut up into a track car?

I think I know the answers to both of these questions, but I wanted to run it by the experts and make sure my understanding of the NA 944 market was correct.

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 PM
944kid
Banned

Arlen,

Me thinks that 944 is wayy too nice to turn into a race car...it's worth the $2K alright. Probably more!

Get one that's really been beat on. Then again, if you want to turn it into a race car, go right ahead; I'm not the boss of you!

Sincerely,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

$2k is a good price for any worthwhile 944, let alone one that is very clean. When I eventually buy my 944 track car, I expect to spend up to $3k and have something that is cosmeticaly challenged.

Part of me says that it's too nice to make a track car out of. But then, a nice car has probably also been well maintained, which is also a nice feature to have in a track car. And $2k is very cheap. You could probably make a lot of that back by selling off the parts.

In all honesty, I'm not sure you'd find one for less that doesn't have issues.

Nevermind. That car sucks as a track car. Don't buy it.

BB.

P.S.- please send me the seller's contact info.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
curveraider
Racer

Hey Ian and Brian,

I figured this car looked like it was worth more... maybe there is some history on the ride. The flip side is that if I turn it into a track rat, then I really don't care...

Thanks for the input,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I suppose there is always the possibility of buying it and flipping it, using the profit to fund your track car. But I'm not sure what 944s go for in your area.

BB.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want my honest opinion?

If you want a track car, you should buy a finished track car rather than a street car you "could" convert. You would dump so much money into that car in order to turn it into a track car that, by the time you are finished, you probably could have bought a turnkey spec car for 2 or 3 grand less, and that is not even considering the time you will have lost.

In the brief time I have been in this hobby/sport, I have learned that you should buy a street car if you want a street car, but buy a finished track car if you want a track car, preferably from a known source.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with that car. However, it would probably be fiscally unwise to reininvent the wheel. Buy a finished spec car from somebody who is bored, tired or too broke to continue

Just my two cents.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I would agree with TC. In fact, I've recieved that advice more than once.

The only reason I'm not following it is because I am as much interested (if not more) in the project than the final outcome.

BB.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Well I spent about 2K on my 87, which was in pretty decent condition with a full recent top end rebuild due to a broke t-belt.

Figure you can probably make a few bucks by selling the seats and interior bits, but it won't be near enough to pay for the race bits. Hell, a decent cage alone will double the cost (but not value ) of the car. My car had 154K and still had the original clutch, and if you have the original too, figure several hundred and a fair amount of time to do it yourself, or about 1600 for a shop to do it.

My $2000 track car is scarcely a month old, and I have almost 6K into it total, with brakes, clutch, motor mounts, tires, track seats, radiator, new steering wheel, and a second set of phone dials. Plus lots of basics like hood/hatch struts, lugnuts, filter kits, ignition wires, etc. And I still have not even approached a cage builder yet!

Never a shortage of things to throw money at when it comes to a 20 year old car, and that's before it says Porsche on the badge! If you don't mind doing a bunch of the work yourself... go for it! Otherwise, I agree with the other posters - buy a built car and save some cash for racing.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by schwank
Well I spent about 2K on my 87, which was in pretty decent condition with a full recent top end rebuild due to a broke t-belt.

Figure you can probably make a few bucks by selling the seats and interior bits, but it won't be near enough to pay for the race bits. Hell, a decent cage alone will double the cost (but not value ) of the car. My car had 154K and still had the original clutch, and if you have the original too, figure several hundred and a fair amount of time to do it yourself, or about 1600 for a shop to do it.

My $2000 track car is scarcely a month old, and I have almost 6K into it total, with brakes, clutch, motor mounts, tires, track seats, radiator, new steering wheel, and a second set of phone dials. Plus lots of basics like hood/hatch struts, lugnuts, filter kits, ignition wires, etc. And I still have not even approached a cage builder yet!

Never a shortage of things to throw money at when it comes to a 20 year old car, and that's before it says Porsche on the badge! If you don't mind doing a bunch of the work yourself... go for it!
Bingo. You can throw thousands of dollars at a cheap street Porsche before you even come close to reaching the point of having a basic and reliable track car. Unless you are merely sadistic or stubborn (BB, you are nuts ), it is much much easier to purchase a finished track car, which will only require you to throw half as many thousands of dollars at it to have a basic and reliable track car
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
curveraider
Racer

Hello TD, I totally agree with you on that one. But the Spec series is brand new in my area and I have not found one advertised. I have heard of a few in S. California and Arizona, but I have no way of getting those cars back home Maybe if the interior bits are nice, I can make a few dollars to go toward a build up. The more I think about this, the more I feel like I need to go hit the ATM.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
BB, you are nuts
No arguments!

BB.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Get in touch with Tim Comeau on the nasaforums.com 944 spec forum. He always has a finger on the pulse of 944 spec, and may be able to point you at a car.

There was also a post a month or so back in their cars for sale forums for an 83 SCCA ITS 944. Might be worth looking into. Edit: Just looked it up that car was in Ohio... sorry.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by curveraider
Hello TD, I totally agree with you on that one. But the Spec series is brand new in my area and I have not found one advertised. I have heard of a few in S. California and Arizona, but I have no way of getting those cars back home Maybe if the interior bits are nice, I can make a few dollars to go toward a build up. The more I think about this, the more I feel like I need to go hit the ATM.
Have you ever raced before? If not, then take my advice. Predict how many times you will need to go hit the ATM, and then multiply it by TEN. No joke.

Don't get me wrong . . . racing is fun as hell and you will forget the $$$$$$ as soon as you are on the track . . . but nobody ever said that addictions are cheap
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cut it up, sell us the parts!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 PM
curveraider
Racer

Eric,

I posted up on the racing forum a few weeks ago and Tim was really helpful. I know San Diego is not THAT far from the Bay Area. But it is still a long drive in a track car... I bought my 993 with all of the bits in place and I know I saved tons of money. Maybe this is one of those primal moments for me, like having to touch the fire once to see if it really does hurt. There is a little part of me that is trying to convince myself that "it would be fun to build a track car". That is probably one of the reasons I am seriously considering the spec series... "there are no cars to buy, I HAVE TO BUILD ONE". Somebody please slap me and bring me to my senses. God, I think I have convinced myself of doing the unspeakable

Quick Reply: is this 944 to nice to turn into a track rat...