Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...RE: a closed wing thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006 | 01:50 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Jeff, I've got such plans for that car... I'm gonna make a spreadsheet today while I'm waiting for class to start with the part and the cost... I know now it aint gonna be cheap.

Not to mention, parts for the spec car... Oh god... I'll be living in my Porsches before long...
Old 02-06-2006 | 03:05 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Wow, this got nasty real fast...

First off, i'd like to point out that I in no way have ill / bitter feelings against any of you as I am a new member and do enjoy frequenting this board.

Secondly, while I was very disappointed that an ebay link I was watching closely was posting publicly, thereby driving up competition and ultimately, the final bid price, I in no way blamed anyone for posting it nor did I point fingers. I understand Porschephile 924's intent was to benefit us all by pointing out something we can all do, searching on ebay for a popular part. Somehow I'm starting to think he is related to the seller as he sure got well over $500 for those pieces You guys can gladly pay $500 for mirrors and door handles, i'll just laugh and be on my merry way. I'll keep my car all original, flag mirrors and VW pull handles.

Thirdly, I dont appreciate being called a whiney bitch by a 35 year old with 20+ year old Porsche 944s. This guy surely gives you all a bad name with his mentality. While it is true I am not a member here yet, I sure am going to reconsider supporting a website we're name calling is condoned and generally accepted. I came from a VW message board as a member there for 6 years and even with the 15-19 year olds running around there, its a lesser marque than Porsche yet with seeminly more mature members.

Generally, I've had a good stay here up until this point. I found this board after some new friends / PCA members pointed me here, guessing from their good character, I would find more Porsche enthusiasts like me. I was surely mistaken. Live and learn I suppose.

Thanks Tifosiman for pointing this thread out to me.
Old 02-06-2006 | 03:33 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Fmalgapo, Nothin against you at all, and I dunno if I welcomed you when you came in, but if not, welcome!

Anyway, to me, paying $500.00 for mirrors and door handles is acceptable...and I probably will be paying that when I have my 951. I mean, if you think about it, mirror assemblies, including glass, motors, wiring, and mounts, as well as door handles, actuator levers, and all the linkages, even for a Honda would cost about that. It's a cosmetic mod and not needed, but it's definately a good upgrade... I've seen a couple of ricer friends pay that for a non-functional spoiler for their cavalier... so to me, it's not bad... espescially since I thought just the mirrors cost $600.00

again, I have no affiliation to the seller. I'm in Colorado, he's in Texas, and I've been to texas once... when I was 12...

So, think what ya want. what's done is done.
Old 02-06-2006 | 03:51 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

If you want 968 mirrors and handles "cheap" - Buy used. They come up every so often, you just have to have cash in hand and be the first to respond. I got a set of power mirrors for $275 and am buying the handles new. Ill be out $500 w/o even painting them and I think thats a pretty good deal. (Didnt see what that auction ended up going for...) Either way, If I was watching something that was going to be a good deal and someone posted up the auction - Id be pissed. But Id prob yell a few cusswords to myself and go on with life. Sh*t happens.

Last edited by SamGrant951; 02-06-2006 at 04:40 PM. Reason: cause I can't @#$%#$^ spell.
Old 02-06-2006 | 03:59 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Agreed Porschephile, no harm done....Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-06-2006 | 03:59 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

well said sammy.

fwiw I got my handles and mirrors NEW from sunset and I paid a bundle ($200+$360) . imho it was worth it.. would i do it again? maybe....

I still want that TRS wing tho...
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:00 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Fmalgapo, welcome and please don't be discouraged -- Rennlist is a good forum, with a wealth of information and helpful people around. But you have to realize that it's organized like the wild West (well, it's a cross between the wild West and a bad soap-opera...)

FWIW, the degree of civility is directly related to the "off-topic-ness" of the subject matter. In purely technical threads, you'll find that members are very well behaved. Once the thread goes off topic, you'll see more joking and rib-poking going on -- and since this is the Internet, it'll often get misunderstand and degenerate into a flame war. If you want to see a demonstration of this, start a thread that reads "I'm dropping a turbo in my NA, biatch!" and you'll quickly see. If want to see some real fireworks, become a member and check out the "Off-Topic Area".

BTW, we're all nice people in person -- as with anything on the Internet, people don't seem as nice over this medium.

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Heck, there was an original techquipment roof rack I really wanted recently but didn't win. . . It happens. Ultimately I have to say, "if I wanted it that badly, I should've bid higher". I think about it and then say, "naaaaaah. Wouldn't have been worth it. There will be others".
Sorry man, I probably should have just sent you a PM rather than posting it....
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:00 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

yeah, that TRS wing is hot...

And fmalgapo,

you're welcome...

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 02-06-2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:11 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I stated my case, POP-924 closed the thread, and this should have been done with. No harm no foul.

Instead, thread#2 here pops up, and I have to deal with a verbal tongue-lashing from the Rennlist POP twins that infect every thread here.

This whole thread was a bunch of *** and completely stupid. I'm sorry I had anything to do with it.

POP-924, when you are shopping for your parts for your "new 951", be certain to post up the links to the ebay auctions here so that all of Rennlist has the possibility of getting an equally good deal and drive up the pricing for you.
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:49 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

ok, but I'll only get pissed about the ones for the parts I already have and want to resell for a profit, because that's the right way to do things, by driving up the price for those who want em cheap anyway...

Thanks for the class Tifo... IMHO, having you galavanting the forums with your negative posts towars me since I joined (it seems) with few (but they are there) moments of civility between us, is as much as an "infection" of Jeff and myself... the POP twins as you stated it...

I'd ignore you, as I'm sure you've already ignored me, but I enjoy your comics, and your making an **** of yourself in situations like this.
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
ok, but I'll only get pissed about the ones for the parts I already have and want to resell for a profit.
I don't already have a TRS wing, and its none of your GD business why I purchase anything.
Old 02-06-2006 | 04:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

(I didn't post the wing)
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:07 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Wow, this got nasty real fast...

First off, i'd like to point out that I in no way have ill / bitter feelings against any of you as I am a new member and do enjoy frequenting this board.

Secondly, while I was very disappointed that an ebay link I was watching closely was posting publicly, thereby driving up competition and ultimately, the final bid price, I in no way blamed anyone for posting it nor did I point fingers. I understand Porschephile 924's intent was to benefit us all by pointing out something we can all do, searching on ebay for a popular part. Somehow I'm starting to think he is related to the seller as he sure got well over $500 for those pieces You guys can gladly pay $500 for mirrors and door handles, i'll just laugh and be on my merry way. I'll keep my car all original, flag mirrors and VW pull handles.

Thirdly, I dont appreciate being called a whiney bitch by a 35 year old with 20+ year old Porsche 944s. This guy surely gives you all a bad name with his mentality. While it is true I am not a member here yet, I sure am going to reconsider supporting a website we're name calling is condoned and generally accepted. I came from a VW message board as a member there for 6 years and even with the 15-19 year olds running around there, its a lesser marque than Porsche yet with seeminly more mature members.

Generally, I've had a good stay here up until this point. I found this board after some new friends / PCA members pointed me here, guessing from their good character, I would find more Porsche enthusiasts like me. I was surely mistaken. Live and learn I suppose.

Thanks Tifosiman for pointing this thread out to me.
Hey man,
don't let this thread discourage you. there is a lot of good info here on rennlist....i rebuilt my 944S engine with help from the listers here. So, keep visiting, ignore the discouraging threads, and enjoy the 944

Quick Reply: ...RE: a closed wing thread...