Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...RE: a closed wing thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...RE: a closed wing thread...

Wow, that got ugly quick... and right as I was hitting the send button on the below question.

So here I go again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tifo et Al;

I'm not up to speed on the whole trim variations, can you explain what the differences are 968 vs 951? What makes the 951 differe from the S2 (early rubber or later 968 style)??

I do see that the ebay wing has no mounting studs, what wold have to be 'closed up' on a 951 hatch to make something like this fit?

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Those trim pieces on the 968 wing are not correct. Anyone considering bidding on that wing should consider that they will still need to purchase the 3 separate trim pieces (either repros or the real thing $$$$$) and pay big money to a shop to fab and epoxy in mount brackets for the wing (if they can't do that work themselves).
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That thread was ridiculous.

Summation:

Bitch, bitch, whine, whine, oh you saw my super-duper uber-secret auction where I was gonna' make a killing on 968 parts and now it's ruined, bitch, bitch, bitch. . .

Want some cheese to go with that w(h)ine?

Geoff did nothing wrong in posting that. That's what this forum is all about - free exchange of information and knowledge about Porsche automobiles (and of course, vendor politics ). Anyway, that's what he did. He shouldn't feel the least bit bad about bringing it to peoples attention.

Ultimately who is better served in these two scenarios:

(1) He says nothing and POSSIBLY one person benefits from getting a lower-than-market-value price on used car parts. Losers = the seller and any other potential buyers.

(2) He mentions it and many people benefit from the knowledge, decide for themselves whether or not they're interested in the same used car parts, the free market does its thing and the seller gets fair market value for what he/she is selling. Loser = one person that's whining about how they got beaten in auction.

Look dude, if you want it that bad, then be prepared to bid higher. No sympathy deserved or given here.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Jeff;

I gotta concur, there are very few deals on Flea-bay these days. The only chance one has is to find a BIN auction that the seller is blowing out. That, and who here DOESN'T scour Ebay daily?

Sad but true.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Summation:

Bitch, bitch, whine, whine, oh you saw my super-duper uber-secret auction where I was gonna' make a killing on 968 parts and now it's ruined, bitch, bitch, bitch. . .

Geoff did nothing wrong in posting that. That's what this forum is all about - free exchange of information and knowledge about Porsche automobiles (and of course, vendor politics ). Anyway, that's what he did. He shouldn't feel the least bit bad about bringing it to peoples attention.

(1) He says nothing and POSSIBLY one person benefits from getting a lower-than-market-value price on used car parts. Losers = the seller and any other potential buyers.

(2) He mentions it and many people benefit from the knowledge, decide for themselves whether or not they're interested in the same used car parts, the free market does its thing and the seller gets fair market value for what he/she is selling. Loser = one person that's whining about how they got beaten in auction.

Look dude, if you want it that bad, then be prepared to bid higher. No sympathy deserved or given here.

I concur. I mean, WTF people? If you don't want it happening, petition John D to put it in the charter. but if I'm gonna be excommunicated for bringing a nifty eBay auction to people's attentions, I'm not gonna do it. Then, I'll start posting threads of closed auctions... titles, Look what you guys missed on eBay.

I don't care anymore.
-Geoff

P.S. Tifo, Why were you bidding on that anyway? don't you already have that stuff on your car?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:56 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Summation:

Do you ever say anything positive?

It's not like I and others don't have the money to purchase the part brand new. It's about getting the best deal you can. Many people on Rennlist may not be looking for a specific part on ebay, but then when someone like your doppleganger posts a PSA Ebay posting, it alerts them and they check it out, and become potential bidders and potentially driving up the price. If that concept is beyond you, then I don't know what else to say. You obviously don't know how to work ebay and how to get the best deal on something that you want.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL! Doppleganger... Neat...
Old 02-05-2006, 06:16 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Tifo;

I think I get it, thanks. You are a gentleman and a scholar, and you have some cool pics in your repository.
I also like the gruppe B sticker. I need one that has gruppe W (as in Arlo Guthrie group W bench)
Old 02-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow. sorry tifo, i don't agree on this one. Yes ebay is great for looking for steals, but I don't think it's morally wrong to post a link. bummer that you can't get it for cheap now, but it happens all the time, whether the owner of the auction posts it himself or someone else does.

You are right in that there is a way to work ebay to get the best deal, believe me, I am an expert at that. That being said, you are playing your tricks to get a deal, i don't think you can complain when you end up having to pay what it's worth. I think this is part of the reason people hate ebay, because it's all sticklers looking for a deal rather than to buy the items for what they are worth. This is why so many business develop CRAP quality items that look like the real thing, so they can sell them for 2.99 on ebay rather than the 20 dollar retail price. we're part of the problem. I usually agree with you but for someone who usually comments on people who skimp on buying used/worn parts to replace broken ones on their 944's because they don't have money, i don't think you can really complain about this.

As selling on ebay is a large part of my income... I have to say anything that gets the seller more money is fair game, and good for ebay. Nothing on ebay sells for what it's worth, or just about everything. Even new things from a store retailer usually sell for a few dollars left on ebay. It won't go for more than it's "worth", things like this just help the seller in getting closer to what it IS "worth."
Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Riiiiiiiiiight. Okay, so because I don't like cheesy-*** dash covers and because I point out that fmalgapo (who ain't even a member) was being a whiny bitch, I'm the bad guy right? Okay. Whatever.

When's the last time YOU posted anything positive around here?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And rennlist-cabin fever sets in.... only a couple more months..
Old 02-05-2006, 06:58 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
I usually agree with you but for someone who usually comments on people who skimp on buying used/worn parts to replace broken ones on their 944's because they don't have money, i don't think you can really complain about this.
What does my theory about skimping have to do with this?

There have been several items I have purchased on ebay that I spent time searching for, finding, watching, and bidding on at the last moment (and winning). Many of those items have been listed in a strange area that they should not have been, had an innaccurate description, or had the name spelled wrong in the title so that they did not come up in a search (ie: PROSCHE instead of PORSCHE). Many of these items I have purchased at what I consider less than market price and either used, or re-sold for a profit. Whether or not you agree, I think that the effort that someone like myself (and others on here) makes to do this is worth something. To have someone post on here "hey guys, look at this" negates that time and effort spent. For a seller, that is a great thing. For the buyer, not so good. The seller pays his fees to list the product on ebay and the exposure that ebay gives. The seller doesn't pay for the added publicity that POP-924, the media, etc gives. People who would not otherwise be looking for that object may go specifically there because someone like POP 924 does a PSA on some forum. Again, great for the seller. Not so good for me and others that have been doing their homework.

I'm just giving my opinion that post-whoring an ebay PSA isn't cool and not good for certain people on here. It's an opinion that I am entitled to say without insulting someone like POP did toward me with the "whine" commentary. Like I said, there are many forums that have rules against this sortof thing. It is not the case here, but there is nothing wrong with me mentioning that.

When's the last time YOU posted anything positive around here?
I think that you need to take a look at your posts then POP. I find it ironic you coming up with the "whatever the market can bear" commentary in this thread, yet you are the first one to scream and yell when you feel someone is making too much money salarywise or asking too much for a product or service. You can't have it both ways.

EDIT: Think about this for a moment, whomever does not agree with me. If there is something that you find for your car on ebay, and you put it on your watchlist and would like to get it for a decent price, would you put a post up here on Rennlist that says "Hey, look at what I am looking at to buy."? If the answer is no, then you agree with me.

Last edited by tifosiman; 02-05-2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added one more comment
Old 02-05-2006, 07:10 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

tifo: You're acting out of character.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:16 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
tifo: You're acting out of character.
Allow me to act in character

Check out this great auction on ebay - deal of the century:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Allow me to act in character

Check out this great auction on ebay - deal of the century:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks for that!

Quick Reply: ...RE: a closed wing thread...