Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neglecting your Porsche is a good way to piss it off... it fights back.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Neglecting your Porsche is a good way to **** it off... it fights back.

Let me preface this by saying I was overdue on a timing belt tension and oil change by about 1000 to 1500 miles...

So I decide to do both today. I get into taking off the alternator belt, and the tensioning rod had seized. when it finally broke loose, it did so very suddenly, and I was pulling so hard, that I hit myself in the eye with the fist that was wrapped around the wrench... I hit with such force, I gave myself a black eye...

I've determined that my car was pissed that I neglected it for a bit, and fought back... Anyone else's car do this sorta thing?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the feeling, i have punched myself in the face before when a seized bolt suddenly broke free. Sometimes you cant help but laugh.

Other moments that annoy me are when you smash your knuckles after a seized bolt suddenly frees itself...or when the wrench / socket slips off the head and you smash your knuckles.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:39 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Ever try taking a bimmer shift **** off? The correct way to take them off involves pulling up as hard as you can *quickly* because they "lock" in. lol - first time you do it you dont know what to expect. it flew off and i almost took my eye out.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:54 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Let me preface this by saying I was overdue on a timing belt tension and oil change by about 1000 to 1500 miles...

So I decide to do both today. I get into taking off the alternator belt, and the tensioning rod had seized. when it finally broke loose, it did so very suddenly, and I was pulling so hard, that I hit myself in the eye with the fist that was wrapped around the wrench... I hit with such force, I gave myself a black eye...

I've determined that my car was pissed that I neglected it for a bit, and fought back... Anyone else's car do this sorta thing?
When my car had the same problem, I took the bracket off, put it in a table vise, and broke it free.

She's had a remarkably even temper.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:00 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, I guess I'm lucky so far, as my Porsche has not been wanting in the maintenance part. However, there are the few things that I still need to get to (the list never ends). :-)

I did have a VW bug while I was in high school, and on occasion did give me extra bruises.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I've punched myself before.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I know the feeling, i have punched myself in the face before when a seized bolt suddenly broke free. Sometimes you cant help but laugh.
Yeah. I was laughing my *** off. I go inside to talk to Mom, who's a nurse, and I'm like, "Mom! you should check this out!" I walk in, my eye is all teary and red, and a bruise is forming under it... she's like "OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?!" ... "... I punched myself... in the eye...really hard..."

"WTF DID YOU DO THAT FOR?"

"It wasn't on purpose..."

she was confused... then I explained what happened, and she was laughing too. funny as hell...but painful... I saw stars when I hit myself..
Old 02-05-2006, 05:04 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
"WTF DID YOU DO THAT FOR?"

"It wasn't on purpose..."

she was confused... then I explained what happened, and she was laughing too.
I can imagine!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:21 AM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this is weird - today was a day off and I finally had a chance to tend to some issues bugging me about my newly purchased '86 944 - cracked fog light/rattly doors and the headliner right wear it meets the hatch was pulled out, etc....so it's absolutely hideous out as we're enduring a nasty winter storm but I decide to take out my right foglight and bring it in to find out if some silicone will seal it up enough to prevent the bulb from burning out. I'm crouched down in the local Cdn. tire (auto parts store for you neighbours below) and I'm getting soaked as I pop out the 2 screws holding the unit in - easy enough but then I undo the main wire to the bulb and then realize there's one more holding the foglight assembly to the wiring but can't figure out how it's connected at first. So I see the connection - a male/female type wire slot - and tug really hard and sure enough POW! - right in my right eye! My contact lens popped out and I gave myself a nice bump/cut on my forehead and a little welt right on my lower lid!! Fun!

Ah well, found the source of the doors rattles (both had 1 screw out/loose) and the foglight's being fixed as I sit here! The car feels so much more satisfying when there are no rattles and squeaks!! A shiner's worth the results I say!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:57 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i had a post a while ago, where i dropped the torque wrench on my face and chipped my front teeth, and bruised my lip, workign on my transmission.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a jackstand fail while I was under the car once...I got out but caught my hand under the rotor and crushed everything across the middle of my hand...luckily no permanent damage, but now I'm even more careful when I'm under a car.

Steve
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

OK, I know it's somewhat demented, but pictures really would make this a better thread

Bloody lip here, slipped a wrench and "whack", hit so hard I thought I broke a tooth, luckily only a fat, bloody lip. When the swearing stopped, I had a good laugh.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Years ago I was changing out a heater hose and during removal was pulling pretty mightily to get it off and when it came off I impaled my forearm on the nearby hoseclamp screw. Sunk in a good bit and I've carried the scar for 15 years.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes i have many scars from bolts that are super tight then suddenly loose. Usually there is something sharp to catch my knuckles on when it does come loose too. The best is when your under a car and you hear a noise, go to look up and your head bouces between the car and the concrete like a basketball...ouch.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was putting a tranny in a 993TT the other day, had the tranny almost in place, I was standing on the tranny jack legs to give myself a little hieght. I stepped down to go get a wrench, i smoked my forehead on the corner of the tranny jack, i instinctively pulled my head back, and smoked the back of my head on the corner of one of the lift arms. 2 lumps for the price of one.

Quick Reply: Neglecting your Porsche is a good way to piss it off... it fights back.